die hard doonhamer

The F1 Thread

1 hour ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

As often in F1 you think you can see how things are going to transpire, every now and again EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED. 

As much as it could well be a Pirelli tyre issue, should teams not take it on themselves a bit to not push tyres to the limit of longevity. Too many races are becoming 1 stoppers.

Reminds me of Silverstone 2013 when there was lots of punctures, then we found that teams were swapping tyres, running high cambers and lower pressures - it's not always entirely Pirelli's fault when teams are pushing tyres to the limit and never want to play it safe.

1 hour ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

As often in F1 you think you can see how things are going to transpire, every now and again EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED. 

As much as it could well be a Pirelli tyre issue, should teams not take it on themselves a bit to not push tyres to the limit of longevity. Too many races are becoming 1 stoppers.

Pirelli said that the hard tyres could do 40 laps. Stroll's went after 30, and I think Max was similar. This absolutely was not the teams pushing the limits.

Pirelli saying initial analysis shows it was debris on both cars, on the same tyre, after approx the same amount of time.

And also Hamilton apparently has debris on the same one on his too.

Mick Schumacher onboard including last lap anger at Mazepin

And a very happy Sebastian Vettel

Like we've had slow drivers before, we've had shite drivers before and some occasionally dangerous drivers before, but Mazepin is a mixture of all of them and it's actually quite worrying. He was over a minute down at one point on Mick which is staggering.

Mick Schumacher onboard including last lap anger at Mazepin

Incredibly dangerous moving that quickly, that close and at that speed. Not only is he absolutely shite but he’s putting other drivers in danger

Yes, beggars belief they gave Mazepin a licence. Not only is he woefully off the pace, but he's an utter fucking arsehole with it. Only a matter of time before he either completely screws a leader while being lapped, or worse, causes an accident in which some other poor fucker gets hurt. Weaving in front of your teammate like that at 200mph when you are two of the last three still running is absolute lunacy. If I'm MS I'd have fucking chinned him.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yes, beggars belief they gave Mazepin a licence. Not only is he woefully off the pace, but he's an utter fucking arsehole with it. Only a matter of time before he either completely screws a leader while being lapped, or worse, causes an accident in which some other poor fucker gets hurt. Weaving in front of your teammate like that at 200mph when you are two of the last three still running is absolute lunacy. If I'm MS I'd have fucking chinned him.

Not to me it doesn't, he had the results to get into F1 and there's been a few over the years with less qualifications who have been in F1. I don't think there is any question over that it was wrong to give him license otherwise it would exclude a lot of other drivers. In Mazepin's case its entirely on how he performs at this level regardless who his dad is and it does take time for a rookie to get used to driving at this level regardless whether you are Nikita Mazepin or Max Verstappen. If the stewards think Mazepin made an illegal move then he will be called to explain himself to the officials and or they will just slap him with a fine, grid penalty is pretty pointless here.

Bottas is a broken man and surely will be replaced at the end of the season

13 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Like we've had slow drivers before, we've had shite drivers before and some occasionally dangerous drivers before, but Mazepin is a mixture of all of them and it's actually quite worrying. He was over a minute down at one point on Mick which is staggering.

Still finished three seconds clear of Hamilton. 

https://www.planetf1.com/news/nikita-mazepin-military-service/

Military service could disrupt Mazepin’s F1 career

Nikita Mazepin’s father Dmitry, has revealed that his son’s place on the Formula 1 grid is under threat due to mandatory military service.

Mazepin made his Formula 1 debut in 2021 with Haas, and it is safe to say that the rookie has made quite the impact since arriving.

The 22-year-old did already carry a reputation with him into Formula 1, and there has been a few further controversies in the opening rounds, with Mazepin’s team-mate Mick Schumacher the latest to take issue at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix.

That being said, Mazepin has begun to show signs of settling in at Haas, producing a decent performance at the Monaco Grand Prix, while Baku, generally, was also a step in the right direction.

This momentum though could be cut short, since mandatory military service back in his native Russia could be in his near future.

“Nikita has 23 races, and they tell him that he needs to join the army,” Mazepin’s father Dmitry told the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum.

“They told him he had to be present at the training camp regularly. There would be no exceptions.

“He has a race every two weeks. How does he do it? Who do I ask this question to?

“And I’m not talking about Nikita Mazepin alone but about everyone: athletes and professionals in the same situation. The issue of education and sports is relevant.”

Explaining the situation in Baku, Mazepin revealed that he has been studying at the military department for two years, and would like to become a reserve officer after his third year.

“In Russia, military service is compulsory for everyone who is fit for it,” he explained.

“There are two options. The first is that you graduate from university and serve for one year, and the second is the military department, if your physical training and academic results are good enough.

“In the case of the military department, you study one day a week to be a reserve officer. The training period is three years, but everything happens in the classroom.

“I have been studying at the military department for two years now, so there is another year ahead. After that, I would like to believe that I will become a reserve officer.”

George Russell wants to leave Williams and join a top team because he thinks he is ready to fight for a World Championship. I would agree.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

George Russell wants to leave Williams and join a top team because he thinks he is ready to fight for a World Championship. I would agree.

He'll be at Mercedes next year. Not a chance they stick with Bottas.

If Bottas keeps going the way he is I think he’ll struggle to complete the season.,

I think Russell is an absolute bottle job.

1 minute ago, Gianfranco said:

If Bottas keeps going the way he is I think he’ll struggle to complete the season.,

I think Russell is an absolute bottle job.

I think that once he gets his first win he'll be grand. Was obviously desperately unlucky not to get it last season when the team fucked up.

I think that once he gets his first win he'll be grand. Was obviously desperately unlucky not to get it last season when the team fucked up.

It’s just every time he’s had a sniff of points he seems to bin it.

9 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

He has a crap car this season and it was worse last season and has done well even to be in that position in the first place. That Williams shouldn't be anywhere near the points but he's absolutely wringing everything out of it and often past the limits of the car hence mistakes. His one off performance in the Mercedes last season showed he should right up there at the front and to be that quick out of the box in a new car, new environment, he is quite obviously a quicker and better driver than the Williams allows him to be.

I’ve no doubt he’s a great driver but its hard to argue against this, still think he’ll replace bottas.