The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

43 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

The F2 races I’ve watched this year have been infinitely better than the F1 snooze off.

Was hoping Nando would keep things interesting and was buzzing when he got ahead into turn one but Red Bull have a rocket ship that’s going to be impossible to beat this year without crashes or unreliability.

Highlight of the race for me was David “Crofty” Croft wondering why the RB’s DRS is so powerful, almost implying it’s illegal, and then choking for Alonso to get a further penalty for the home boi Russell to get on the rostrum. Sky’s commentary really is tedious.

Crofty's 'no Verstoppen him' now patter was also cringeworthy, binfire material.  He was rather disappointed that the perceived advantage Hamilton was going to have by switching to mediums during the safety car period evaporated fairly quickly, despite initially coming close to overtaking his team-mate.

The advantage the Red Bulls have even at this early stage though is frightening.   Verstappen was easing past the likes of Hamilton and Alonso as if he were lapping him, rather than overtaking them for position.

10 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The penalty is overturned and I am sure Toto Wolff is fuming.

FIA are clowns - reinstated as AM appealed with the minutes of an FIA meeting where they agreed that putting the jack under the car didn't constitute working on the car AND they also came along with 7 other instances where the exact same thing had happened and the FIA hadn't imposed a pelanty.

You think after 2021 they might just know what their own bloody rules are before imposing pelanties. 

...and you'll never convince me the Stroll safety car was anything else than an attempt to bunch the field up so we could see Max get to the front. 

Explanation - 

Edited by drs

The title race isn't a race at all. Not in a million years is Perez going to be able to challenge Verstappen. The only thing that could shake it up is if Verstappen does a Schumacher and break his leg mid-season. 

That aside, there are other really interesting things going on. McLaren is a fascinating watch - they still talk like a big team but they have been dugshite for years now. Piastri must be thinking he's made a mistake. Had he stayed at Alpine he could have had points. Remember - McLaren haven't won a constructor's title in 25 years. Spent force.

Aston Martin is an interesting story - they are properly putting in the infrastructure. I reckon they could be challengers in a couple of years. 

Mercedes - at no point was Russell under any pressure of being passed by the "GOAT". The pendulum is swinging. 

It is all a bit thin. But I have lived through seasons of one car dominance (2002 was the one that almost broke F1, the title won in July). Can Verstappen do that this year? Maybe. 

2 hours ago, drs said:

you'll never convince me the Stroll safety car was anything else than an attempt to bunch the field up so we could see Max get to the front. 

Let's be serious that would have happened anyway.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

The title race isn't a race at all. Not in a million years is Perez going to be able to challenge Verstappen.

Or be allowed to. There was no attempt at all made by RB to tell Verstappen to just concentrate on bringing home the 1-2, even after he had asked about the current Fastest Lap. Quite the opposite in fact as the they let both push it knowing there was only going to be 1 winner there.

They had no issue initially telling Perez to slow down, though...

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Mercedes - at no point was Russell under any pressure of being passed by the "GOAT". The pendulum is swinging. 

Was quite funny Croft getting all excited about Hamilton starting the second stint on Meds, then never mentioning it again as Russell just drove away from him regardless.

52 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The looming conflict between the Perez and Verstappen camps is one of the few intriguing things that might happen this season. I fancy Perez's old man to batter Jos if it comes down to it.

The bold Jos might struggle in that situation given he's more used to hitting women.

There must come a time that even Mercedes go “you know what Lewis… I think that’ll do, mate”. He was schooled last year by a driver who up until then has only battled back markers in a shitbox Williams and same again is happening this season even when LH was on the faster tyres. The whole “they haven’t listened to me” and splitting with Angela Cullen only makes me think that there’ll be a convenient parting of ways at the end of the season. 

22 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Just going to pre-emptively steal some of iminavest's formuladank greenies

ty7tcdsipqoa1.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

That shot says it all. Classless from Jos there.

Thought Perez had a perfect race minus the start. Comes across like a pretty likable guy too. 

Red dotted, if you watch the video rather than looking at a single image you'll see Jos and Sergio have a "well done" moment.