The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Interesting Q1. 1.1 seconds across the field suggests that for the first while at least the top/midfield guys are not going to get away with those scruffy qualis that see them sneak through anyway. Still keen to see who is really top dog when they are going balls to the wall in Q3

3 hours ago, Yoshi-91 said:

As a McLaren fan this is fucking depressing. They have gone backwards for the last couple seasons. 

They'll be Williams in 5 years. They're on a downward trajectory that shows no sign of stopping.

9 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

They'll be Williams in 5 years. They're on a downward trajectory that shows no sign of stopping.

Good fucking riddance. The haughtiness of Williams and McLaren with their "we are the racing teams, we know best, who the f**k do you think you are BMW/Mercedes?" was ridiculously short-sighted and one of the most egregious examples of unwarranted hubris I can think of in any sport. The fact F1 has moved on and left these dinosaurs firmly behind is endlessly amusing. It's just a pity insufferable arsewipes like Ron Dennis and Patrick Head are no longer around to be dragged down with the sinking ships, although to be fair, Claire Williams appeared to do her level best to pick up Head's mantle of 'most pompous, self-important twat in the pits' and run with it. Pity for her she had absolutely no discernible ability when it came to overseeing an F1 outfit.

People think Wolf and Horner are bellends... well, they are both charismatic, engaging, magnetic personalities by comparison to some of their forebears.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Good fucking riddance. The haughtiness of Williams and McLaren with their "we are the racing teams, we know best, who the f**k do you think you are BMW/Mercedes?" was ridiculously short-sighted and one of the most egregious examples of unwarranted hubris I can think of in any sport. The fact F1 has moved on and left these dinosaurs firmly behind is endlessly amusing. It's just a pity insufferable arsewipes like Ron Dennis and Patrick Head are no longer around to be dragged down with the sinking ships, although to be fair, Claire Williams appeared to do her level best to pick up Head's mantle of 'most pompous, self-important twat in the pits' and run with it. Pity for her she had absolutely no discernible ability when it came to overseeing an F1 outfit.

People think Wolf and Horner are bellends... well, they are both charismatic, engaging, magnetic personalities by comparison to some of their forebears.

1 hour ago, The Golden God said:

McLaren doing shite is excellent to see tbh, hope they get worse and worse and get that wee fud Norris out of a drive ASAP

Zak Brown also comes across as an absolute bellend. It'll be absolutely delicious if Alpine finish above them. 

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I can't understand where your hatred comes from for Williams and McLaren. Have you not watched them from the 1980's when they were winning everything due to having the best bosses and engineers etc? Do you also hate the likes of Colin Chapman, Enzo Ferrari, Gordon Murray and Ken Tyrrell etc? I've been watching F1 since the early 1980's and never felt hatred for any team or driver like your classless comments above. 

8 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Why are the likes of Nissany still allowed to prop up the field in F2? Even Boschung who won the (reverse grid) Sprint last night has been in F2 since 2017? What is the point in the series if they’re allowing jobbers just sit there and stink the place out?

F2 has become an end in itself rather than a route to F1. Not what it should be there to do. Like you say, too many jobbers who have been there for years.

10 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Why are the likes of Nissany still allowed to prop up the field in F2? Even Boschung who won the (reverse grid) Sprint last night has been in F2 since 2017? What is the point in the series if they’re allowing jobbers just sit there and stink the place out?

Nissany now running 8th (up 13 places) and Boschung 2nd (up 8 places). Get these guys in F1. 

Top effort in qualifying from Sir Lancealot.

10 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

I can't understand where your hatred comes from for Williams and McLaren. Have you not watched them from the 1980's when they were winning everything due to having the best bosses and engineers etc? 

Yes, that's exactly where the hatred stems from. The Williams era of Williams himself, Head, Piquet, Mansell, every single one of them a charisma vacuum (well at least Piquet had a sense of humour), McLaren with their 'shithouse allstars' lineup of Dennis, Prost, Senna, I find it more baffling that anyone could harbour anything but utter contempt for the teams of that era, let alone look at them with anything approaching affection or admiration.

Do you also hate the likes of Colin Chapman, Enzo Ferrari, Gordon Murray and Ken Tyrrell etc? I've been watching F1 since the early 1980's and never felt hatred for any team or driver like your classless comments above. 

Chapman was before my time so I have no opinion of him, Old Man was by all accounts a difficult character, but the Ferrari team of the mid/late 80's were a running joke so not much more than a background irrelevance, Murray a designer with next to no public persona, so no reason at all to form any opinion of him, and Tyrell seemed to be a reasonable, personable individual in total contrast to so many of his peer group, so no reason to dislike him either.

I've been watching F1 since the early 1980's and never felt hatred for any team or driver like your classless comments above. 

That's nice, perhaps you're just a more tolerant and objective person than I am? Incidentally, the events I mentioned regarding BMW and Merc took place in the mid 2000's and early 2010's, nothing to do with these 1980's era teams, yet many of the same personalities still involved with both, and both teams can trace their descent into irrelevance directly back to those specific events (well, in Williams case, foreshadowed by an earlier, somewhat similar bunfight with Renault that also led to a slide into irrelevance). FFS, Williams fall out with BMW was over not much more that a hilariously egotistical squabble over the order of two words. Classlessness to point and laugh at it? Possibly, I couldn't care less about allegations of classlessness, it's just amusing watching some people who have been thoroughly unlikeable for decades publicly trip over their own giant egos and take their racing teams down with them. Schadenfreude, I guess. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Edited by Boo Khaki