The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

48 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The team principal transfer merry-go-round is in full effect. Jost Capito got punted by Williams yesterday and Vasseur gone from Alfa Romeo this morning, seemingly heading for Ferrari. Apparently Seidl is moving from McLaren to replace Vasseur.

Team principals seemingly being treated like football managers. A bad season and out. 

Long gone are the days when teams would have the same principal for years and years. Who's the longest serving one now? Horner?

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Team principals seemingly being treated like football managers. A bad season and out. 

Long gone are the days when teams would have the same principal for years and years. Who's the longest serving one now? Horner?

Horner(2005) then Tost(2006) at Scuderia Toro Rosso/AlphaTauri and Wolff (2013) Mercedes are the longest three 

If you're looking for something to watch, discovery+ (should be free if you have Sky) has a new documentary series about Bernie Ecclestone. Confusingly it's called Lucky but it's by the same folk who did the Senna film so will hopefully be half decent - although he'll no doubt spout some ill-informed views that were out of place 30 years ago.

Also a new documentary about Jackie Stewart appearing on Sky from Friday.

For anyone interested in old F1 races. I keep up with a YouTuber called Big Zeddie who posts the BBC and ITV F1 highlights on his channel. He has a problem though as all F1 film has copyright plus any music played also breaches copyright such as The Chain, so most of those videos tend to get emptied after a week or so. He probably gets a warning each time on top. I used to copy the Grand Prix highlights onto VHS from season 1986 to 2009 and keep them in my own library and watch them again and again. However because VHS tape degrades over years arounf 2010 I managed to copy all of them onto digital format.

I only ever missed a few and finding Big Zeddie on youtube filled in the gaps and I also added all the highlights from 1977 right up to 1985 to my collection. Much of what was there has been removed although there are still some survivors. Right now he is working his way through 1997.

Similarly, the Max Mosely doc is worth a watch. I don't agree with every point he makes, but he does make a cogent fist of defending and explaining himself, and it's always nice to see that there was in fact at least one other person involved in saving the lives of literally billions of Formula One drivers other than Jesus Chr Sir Jackie Stewart.

Unable to sleep, I'm watching a "watchalong" of the Brazil 2008 race. Sky putting Felipe Massa and David Croft together to watch this is a stroke of genius. 

"Did you think you had the title in the bag at this stage? " for most of it. 

"5 laps to go and we all know that something very special is about to happen! You had no idea, did you Felipe?" 

Perhaps the most cruel yet funny thing I have seen in ages. One step away from a real life version of

the-simpsons-heart-broken.gif

9 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Done now. Martin Brundle saying really nice things to Massa about how he handled himself. Croft and Kravitz laughing at the euphoria of being with "The 2008 Formula One World Champion" as he celebrated. 

Felipe Massa handled the whole situation with so much class at the time, and continues to do so. There was nothing more he could have done. Crofty came across as the arsehole he is.