The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

16 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

The moment when the Safety Car ended and Max went past Lewis literally yards after the start finish line was superb. You could feel the deflation in that commentary team come through the screen.

It was beautiful. Several minutes building up the drama of Max chasing down Hamilton and he passes him within seconds of the restart. Not only that, Hamilton has to give in to Russell who can't get near Max either. The final ignominy of being punted off the podium by LeClerc was just *chef's kiss*

What's interesting though is that Abu Dhabi and today both featured Hamilton leading a faster Max at a crucial point of the race and him shitting the bed both times. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

And another utterly fraudulent one from Ricciardo, who shouldn't even be allowed to 'compete' in the remaining races of the season. 

He's surely been more interested in a media career for months, if not years now. Still I suppose we'll get another Drive to Survive season of his quips, banter and 15th place finishes. 

35 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

For whatever anyone says about Hamilton losing the lead and Russell pitting, he handled that restart terribly. He went about as early as possible which was basically the worst thing you could do in that situation.

With the camber of that final corner it’s possibly the most over powered section of any track on the calendar for the car behind using slipstream. There’s no way Verstappen gets by Hamilton without DRS if he waits until the pit straight to put the foot down, but instead he tries to be clever by slowing down to a crawl on the second to last corner and allows Max to follow him closely round the final bend and almost slingshot himself along the straight. 

I did think it was a mistake by many drivers taking the inside line into turn 1 when defending; almost every driver who done it got overtaken with relative ease, and you could see the amount of dirt they were picking up off the track every time they done it. I’m sure there’s a reason for it since they know more about driving a Formula 1 car than I ever will, but just an observation. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

For whatever anyone says about Hamilton losing the lead and Russell pitting, he handled that restart terribly. He went about as early as possible which was basically the worst thing you could do in that situation.

The only thing that could have went right for Hamilton on that restart would have been Max passing him before the line.

Mercedes blew the strategy. Should have pitted Hamilton for softs. And least that would have given him the chance to pass Verstappen on the restart and hope to hold him off. Russell knew it was a bad strategy, the compound difference is too strong. I only saw the highlights. Why did Max and LeClerc put on Hards on lap 48? The way Crofty was going on it seemed like they were clearly slower than the mediums.

Ah 'Team LH' now turning their ire from VSC/SC and Toro Rosso onto Russell as he made the right call. He's in F1 for himself like every driver. There is no way he should accept his race being compromised to help Hamilton, particularly as I think both would have been easily done by others on fresher rubber who were much faster. Verstappen would have waltzed passed both in a few laps. 

Hamilton fecked it by his rookie mistake in engine mode at the restart and the strategy was risky as a SC/VSC undermined it. 

Edited by flyingscot

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

Ah 'Team LH' now turning their ire from VSC/SC and Toro Rosso onto Russell as he made the right call. He's in F1 for himself like every driver. There is no way he should accept his race being compromised to help Hamilton, particularly as I think both would have been easily done by others on fresher rubber who were much faster. Verstappen would have waltzed passed both in a few laps. 

Hamilton fecked it by his rookie mistake in engine mode at the restart and the strategy was risky as a SC/VSC undermined it. 

Maybe they should ask Fernando Alonso what should happen when a rookie driver tries to upstage the team leader...