The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Haas are giving Antonio Giovinazzi some driving this season. He's driving FP1 in Italy and the US. 

Rumours that he will replace Mick Schumacher, who might be off to Alpine. 

That would be very underwhelming (as would Schumacher to Alpine for that matter).

I guess I can see the appeal of someone with a few years of experience who always looked competent enough, and I know that the F2 grid isn't exactly stellar this year but would feel very much like when they signed Esteban Gutierrez. Just an F1 comeback that nobody is asking for and that won't go anywhere or achieve anything.

10 minutes ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

That would be very underwhelming (as would Schumacher to Alpine for that matter).

I guess I can see the appeal of someone with a few years of experience who always looked competent enough, and I know that the F2 grid isn't exactly stellar this year but would feel very much like when they signed Esteban Gutierrez. Just an F1 comeback that nobody is asking for and that won't go anywhere or achieve anything.

I'm still unsure about Schumacher. In Austria he was tremendous but at other tracks he has been anonymous.

Wondering if he's one of those drivers that needs time to mature to really get going. 

I would be very surprised if someone who has spent the last year pottering around with the Ticktums of the world at arse end of the Formula E grid ends up with an F1 seat next season, but you would have thought the same about Magnusson's chances of ending up back in F1, which has turned out to be the best bit of business Hass have done in years.

Would think he would go to alpine and piastri to mclaren. I used to really rate ricciardo but he’s made some poor career choices and maybe the red bull just suited his driving style. He wasn’t great at renault and he’s been embarrassed at mclaren by (the i think underrated) norris

1 hour ago, afc_36_0 said:

Would think he would go to alpine and piastri to mclaren. I used to really rate ricciardo but he’s made some poor career choices and maybe the red bull just suited his driving style. He wasn’t great at renault and he’s been embarrassed at mclaren by (the i think underrated) norris

He's still the only McLaren driver to win a race since Jenson Button won in Brazil in 2012, I think.

8 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

He's still the only McLaren driver to win a race since Jenson Button won in Brazil in 2012, I think.

This says much more about the team than it does any of their drivers, and it's further invalidated by the other McLaren driver on the radio in the second half of the race giving him the hurry up.

I've seen that comment several times in the past hour already and it's even more irritating than the faux-grief people will have at Ricciardo being out of a seat. He's a fraud who chased the money and got found out. Who cares. 

40 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

This says much more about the team than it does any of their drivers, and it's further invalidated by the other McLaren driver on the radio in the second half of the race giving him the hurry up.

I've seen that comment several times in the past hour already and it's even more irritating than the faux-grief people will have at Ricciardo being out of a seat. He's a fraud who chased the money and got found out. Who cares. 

Yeah Danny is probably the most over-rated driver on the grid. I suspect a large part of the appeal is how charismatic he is. He is good, but some people seem to think he is a top of the range driver when he is really not.

Ricciardo is one of these cases where a guy comes into the sport, makes an instant impact but never builds on it. 

First season in, and he overshadowed Vettel comprehensively. But that Red Bull could never win a title. Moving to Renault made some sense (lead driver of a works team). But the move to Mclaren was sheer cash - Mclaren won't be challenging for a title any time soon

On 24/08/2022 at 21:21, V.Aye.R said:

I don't think he's a bad driver, he's just not a great driver. 

I'm not sure his personality is all that great tbh. Comes across quite annoying imo. 

One thing that Drive To Survive confirmed to me was that he's a fucking w****r.

Audi officially confirmed. Looks like it'll be with Sauber. I know teams are sold and changes names regularly, but amusing that over the years Sauber will have been either part owned, or had a very strong connection with, Mercedes, BMW and now Audi.

Edited by Stu

Some harsh opinions on Ricciardo IMO. He was a very good driver at Red Bull. He might still have been there today if he didn’t walk out, but he’d have been number 2 to Max. He didn’t want that, so took a risk. I think he might have fancied a Merc or Ferrari seat at the time but it turned out to be Renault. He was very good in an average Renault car, battered Hulkenburg and Ocon. Managed to beat both McLarens and Albon in the Red Bull to come 5th in the lockdown season. His McLaren years were extremely poor, and the end is probably near. He’s still had a good career, I’m not sure he was ever going to be world champion quality anywhere.

3 minutes ago, Sir Tarmo said:

Some harsh opinions on Ricciardo IMO. He was a very good driver at Red Bull. He might still have been there today if he didn’t walk out, but he’d have been number 2 to Max. He didn’t want that, so took a risk. I think he might have fancied a Merc or Ferrari seat at the time but it turned out to be Renault. He was very good in an average Renault car, battered Hulkenburg and Ocon. Managed to beat both McLarens and Albon in the Red Bull to come 5th in the lockdown season. His McLaren years were extremely poor, and the end is probably near. He’s still had a good career, I’m not sure he was ever going to be world champion quality anywhere.

Alternative opinion:

Post image