The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

15 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Bizarre move for both parties

Not really. The AM team principal used to be the team principal at Alpine and has worked with Alonso before. 

Let's face it. If one of your two seats is taken up by the unsackable bosses son, you want the best you can get in the other seat. 

With AM going backwards with every race they could just focus on developing next year's car. If they can get their act together then that might produce a genuinely competitive car for 2023, whereas Alpine are likely punching above their weight as it is. Alonso will also fancy his chances of being the unquestionable lead driver at AM after first testing and practice, never mind a couple of races. 

It wouldn't be the first time that an Alonso career choice has gone badly though. 

Edited by vikingTON

Im sure Alonso is quite happy with life. He's been at the top and now just enjoying racing for as long as he can with an enormous bank balance. Always looks pretty chilled in press interviews etc. 

Plus throw in the occasional shithousing of hamilton to keep things exciting. 

He might be happier but there's no way he's content to just sit in the middle of the pack, if there's the slightest chance of recapturing top spot. If Button could luck into a DWC with a no-mark outfit then you can bet that Alonso is hoping for the same next year. 

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

Has to be a dead cert now Piastri has that Alpine gig, opens up an opportunity finally for Nik De Vries to join Williams surely alongside Albon.

Common train of thought says Logan Sargeant to Williams. Won’t be quite a pay driver but opens up an enormous market in the USA plus he’s showing well in F2, he’s probably the only viable choice from that category.

I just don’t know what the score is with Williams. With the CFD and wind tunnel allocation they have they should be troubling the points regularly like Haas. They’ve structurally overhauled the team and personnel for no end result. How long will Dorilton keep it going?

18 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Common train of thought says Logan Sargeant to Williams. Won’t be quite a pay driver but opens up an enormous market in the USA plus he’s showing well in F2, he’s probably the only viable choice from that category.

I just don’t know what the score is with Williams. With the CFD and wind tunnel allocation they have they should be troubling the points regularly like Haas. They’ve structurally overhauled the team and personnel for no end result. How long will Dorilton keep it going?

The way Toto Wolff was speaking about not being able to get De Vries a seat the other day implies (to me anyway) that Sargeant may be close to getting that Williams seat.

21 hours ago, Snafu said:

Maybe its the potential that Aston Martin have over Alpine that sold the drive to Alonso. It's a strange one for Alonso, benefits AM a lot more as their Marquee signing and they have a solid team leader who will point them in the right direction, but its not really a long term investment.

Question - How much real pressure is Lance Stroll really under right now?

An F1 driver who now been around for a few seasons, has experience and we all know what he can do now, is in this comfort zone. He's just a block to another maybe better driver like Theo Pourchaire to move up or someone like Gasly who could switch. Logically it makes no sense in the real world if the team have true ambitions to move up the grid to have an arrangement like this. Stroll is very firmly number 2 driver and is unlikely to be consistently fast enough to push Alonso like Ocon did.

Has to be a dead cert now Piastri has that Alpine gig, opens up an opportunity finally for Nik De Vries to join Williams surely alongside Albon.

Alfa Romeo still saying little on whether they want to keep Zhou Guanyu for next season. Wasn't Theo Pourchaire supposed to be joining them in 2023?

I’d imagine as long as Lawrence Stroll is involved with the team, Lance will be safe.

I think Zhou has been okay this season, but horrific luck with reliability, and being flipped upside down at Silverstone has cost him a lot of potential points. He’s only on a years deal so potentially he could be gone for 2023. Pourchaire is very young, I think only 18, so unless he wins Formula 2 (very possible but unlikely at the moment) then I’d be pretty surprised to see him in the seat next year.

I can see this ending in some sort of compromise whereby Alonso ends up on gardening leave and Piastri is inserted into the race seat this season instead. Not that Alonso would do it willingly because it's quite clear he's still really hungry to race, but if it's a means to achieving a smooth transition to Piastri and it's made clear to Alonso that the relationship isn't quite robust since announcing his move in the apparently sudden way that he did, then he might just accept it's as well to spend a few races doing other stuff between now and December.

Otmar Szafnauer's quotes in this article from earlier today certainly don't come across as if Piastri was on the verge of happily signing for Alpine.

This one in particular:

"Oscar and his camp are 'considering their options,' whatever that means," Szafnauer said.

I don't think Szafnauer comes across particularly well in general in that piece. Seems thoroughly pissed off that Alonso and Piastri would dare to speak with other teams whilst he was busy playing them off against each other for a single seat. Feels like he's overplayed his hand and is scrambling now that Alonso has called his bluff.

Edited by MrWorldwideJr

6 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Alpine obviously haven't been paying much attention to the recent Indy Car drama.

It's all gone a bit chip gnassi 

Pistari must expecting Danny rics seat as that's some statement for a reserve/f2 driver 

Edited by doulikefish

That's pretty amusing. You'd think it's pretty much standard to ask the bloke you reckon will be driving for you if he is in fact going to drive for you before you put out a press statement. As mentioned, it screams of Piastri knowing something that Alpine don't because he hasn't yet informed them. :lol: