The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

1 minute ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

It doesn't get said often enough, but Max Verstappen is just brilliant. Imagine the w**k from Crofty if Lewis had won from 10th on the grid

The absolute consistency that Verstappen shows is almost unmatched as well. 

2 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Lewis and Max seem a bit happier in each others company now as well.

There's nothing much at stake for either of them so there's no tension. Ferrari are Hibsing the WDC and the constructors so Max gets easy wins and for Lewis any podium is good points in a non-frontrunner car. The result suits both of them.

42 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Get Croft in the bin , that's at least 6 times in this race he's got a driver that he's commentating on completely wrong ! 

I was going to say this as well. The fact that his only job for the duration of the race is to commentate on whatever events are taking place, being able to tell apart the drivers of each team is surely a necessity. Last weekend he was getting Magnussen and Schumacher mixed up from almost the start of the race, and after Magnussen collided with Latifi and ended up out of the race he needed Martin Brundle to step in and correct him because he kept claiming it was Schumacher who took the damage. 

I’m a semi regular viewer of F1 but if the number of the car is visible I can usually tell the drivers apart, sometimes even by the helmet. I know Ferrari have neon yellow trimming on Sainz’s car so it’s easy to tell him apart from Leclerc. Do other teams make slight distinctions between their cars to make them easier to identify? I can understand the commentators getting mixed up after a big crash or when a car is spinning through the gravel, but Croft gets them mixed up when the live timings and position of each driver are running down the left hand side of the screen. 

I think Ferrari are at the point now where they really have to write this season off as a learning experience. 

6th in the Championship two seasons ago, to now producing a car that is arguably the best on the grid is still an enormous success, but it's clear that what is a young staff is fundamentally deficient when it comes to race day management. Fortunately for them the regulations are looking like they are going to be pretty stable for a while, so if they can continue to produce a good car there's an opportunity for them to correct that deficiency over the off-season.

It took Todt, Brawn, and Schumi 3 years to take a dysfunctional Ferrari team by the scruff of the neck, develop a truly competitive car, and 5 before they were genuinely on a par with McLaren as an all-round package, so I think expecting Ferrari to go from 6th to Champions in a little over a year is unrealistic in any case, but they are going to have to pull their socks up quickly because there's no guarantee Merc will produce another flawed car next season either.

Just now, IrishBhoy said:

’m a semi regular viewer of F1 but if the number of the car is visible I can usually tell the drivers apart, sometimes even by the helmet. I know Ferrari have neon yellow trimming on Sainz’s car so it’s easy to tell him apart from Leclerc. Do other teams make slight distinctions between their cars to make them easier to identify? I can understand the commentators getting mixed up after a big crash or when a car is spinning through the gravel, but Croft gets them mixed up when the live timings and position of each driver are running down the left hand side of the screen. 

Merc have yellow on Hamilton's car as well. Think that's about it though.

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

The RB's have very subtle differences. Max more yellow, Perez more red iirc, but it's not as obvious as the flashing on the Ferraris and Mercs.

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

That’s interesting that not every team decides to do that. I’m sure 99 times out of 100 the team principals won’t have any issue identifying between the drivers, but for the sake of a couple of pieces of neon trim around the car it would be a sensible thing to do in order to remove any doubt. 

The absolute consistency that Verstappen shows is almost unmatched as well. 

Verstappen’s biggest problem in previous years is that he didn’t know when to back out of a fight, now that he’s won a title he seems to be a bit more measured in his approach and its paying off.
If it wasn’t for a few reliability problems he would a ridiculous amount of points ahead, as it stands he only leads by the 80 points [emoji23]

5 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
27 minutes ago, doulikefish said:
Alonso to Aston Martin confirmed 

Does this open up a seat for someone like Gasly who needs to get out of the Red Bull bubble for his own benefit?

Would imagine Piastri will get the Alpine seat