The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

I watched the highlights of qualifying earlier and can’t really see how Magnussen blocked Checo’s flying lap, he was pulled over to the left before a corner where Perez would have been taking the racing line as far right as he could go? Seemed like he was just trying to find an excuse for a poor lap? Maybe I’m wrong but he didn’t seem as inconvenienced as he made out. 

3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I watched the highlights of qualifying earlier and can’t really see how Magnussen blocked Checo’s flying lap, he was pulled over to the left before a corner where Perez would have been taking the racing line as far right as he could go? Seemed like he was just trying to find an excuse for a poor lap? Maybe I’m wrong but he didn’t seem as inconvenienced as he made out. 

The racing line for turn 2 isn't out to the right. You can go around the corner that way if there's traffic, but for an ideal lap the apex is a bit earlier than the true apex of the corner, then you don't mind if it drifts slightly off on exit.

In the screenshot I've attached you can see Perez is already turning left to hit the early apex, which is the white part you can see directly in front of the Haas. It's clear Perez reacts thinking that if he doesn't adjust the wheel to move back to the right, he's hitting the Haas 100%.  At least, Checo would have been certain there was going to be a collision given that it's impossible for him to know precisely how quickly the Haas is moving.

I'm not without sympathy for K-Mag because it's unfortunate that Perez has crept up on him at that exact moment. It's unfortunate timing, but as well as being in a place where Checo is likely to hit him if he takes a typical line, he's also right in the eyeline for sighting the apex and would have been a major distraction even if his car was sitting still. If you roll the video forward it's apparent that in actual fact K-Mag was going so slowly that Checo would have been able to maintain his line and avoid a collision anyway, but Checo doesn't know that. If Magnussen had been 5 yards further back up towards 1, or out on the extreme right hand side, there's no issue.

www.youtube.com_watch_v=kzsGRhhRr5g.png

In this shot you can see that Checo has had to adjust the wheel back to the right slightly and interrupt his turn in -

1.png.92104e2a01bebb8a88f86a6f3b582633.png#

Which leaves him wide when he should be to the left -

2.png.437045a56e854e87d42e149a4ae9cecf.png

Edited by Boo Khaki

18 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

The racing line for turn 2 isn't out to the right. You can go around the corner that way if there's traffic, but for an ideal lap the apex is a bit earlier than the true apex of the corner, then you don't mind if it drifts slightly off on exit.

In the screenshot I've attached you can see Perez is already turning left to hit the early apex, which is the white part you can see directly in front of the Haas. It's clear Perez reacts thinking that if he doesn't adjust the wheel to move back to the right, he's hitting the Haas 100%.  At least, Checo would have been certain there was going to be a collision given that it's impossible for him to know precisely how quickly the Haas is moving.

I'm not without sympathy for K-Mag because it's unfortunate that Perez has crept up on him at that exact moment. It's unfortunate timing, but as well as being in a place where Checo is likely to hit him if he takes a typical line, he's also right in the eyeline for sighting the apex and would have been a major distraction even if his car was sitting still. If you roll the video forward it's apparent that in actual fact K-Mag was going so slowly that Checo would have been able to maintain his line and avoid a collision anyway, but Checo doesn't know that. If Magnussen had been 5 yards further back up towards 1, or out on the extreme right hand side, there's no issue.

www.youtube.com_watch_v=kzsGRhhRr5g.png

In this shot you can see that Checo has had to adjust the wheel back to the left slightly and interrupt his turn in -

1.png.92104e2a01bebb8a88f86a6f3b582633.png#

Which leaves him wide when he should be to the left -

2.png.437045a56e854e87d42e149a4ae9cecf.png

That’s pretty conclusive then, I had only seen the moving pictures and thought Perez could have continued further in to the corner whilst keeping right, but that 2nd picture shows that Magnussen is far too close to the apex for Perez to continue on the racing line. It’s bad luck that they have happened to meet each other right at that corner, but surely Red Bull strategists should be telling Perez exactly how much of a gap he needs to build up on his outlap so that kind of situation can’t occur. 

Just to add, when I say 'don't mind running a bit right on exit, that assumes you've got the early apex, you perhaps drift a metre or so off the true apex, then you'll probably still only be a metre or so away from the left on exit. In this last shot you can see that what missing the early apex means for Checo is that he ends up out to the right through the entire corner, where the dust and crap is, and exits far straighter and to the right than he'd ever want to.

Did it cost him Q3? Hard to say, he was struggling a bit in any case, but I don't think there's any doubt that K-Mag being where he was compromised that corner entirely.

3.png.9a71e0a9206fd7e27150d77c8fd0d2e2.png

Edited by Boo Khaki

45 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Just to add, when I say 'don't mind running a bit right on exit, that assumes you've got the early apex, you perhaps drift a metre or so off the true apex, then you'll probably still only be a metre or so away from the left on exit. In this last shot you can see that what missing the early apex means for Checo is that he ends up out to the right through the entire corner, where the dust and crap is, and exits far straighter and to the right than he'd ever want to.

Did it cost him Q3? Hard to say, he was struggling a bit in any case, but I don't think there's any doubt that K-Mag being where he was compromised that corner entirely.

3.png.9a71e0a9206fd7e27150d77c8fd0d2e2.png

Still pictures make it hard to convey the speed that the cars are travelling at too. When I initially seen the replay in real time it looked to me like Perez could have turned in later, but looking at that corner now the only way he could have maintained his speed was clipping the apex on the left, and Magnussen was far too close to risk that. I wasn’t even thinking about the debris off the racing line either. All in all it was a horror show for Red Bull with Verstappen unable to put a lap in Q3 either. 

Edited by IrishBhoy