The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

10 years ago he was at his peak. 

He reminded me of Hakkinen in terms of his ability to pull our a pole position lap at the very end of qualifying. That was his big strength - sticking it on pole and leading from the front. Led to many folk suggesting he couldn't hack it in midfield but I think that's not right. 

Still hard to fathom he has more titles that folk like Alonso and Senna, but he was damn fast in his day. 

I like Vettel, but considering only three drivers have won more titles and only two drivers have more wins, he isn't as good as his stats would suggest. Was a bit of a cock when he was winning everything in sight, but he was so young. Comes across as an intelligent and thoughtful man these days. Good luck to him. He just needs to sort his barnet out.

Top man is seb for having every Aussie in the bars of bintang in Kuala Lumpur still spitting feathers many hours after the race finishing and screaming multi 21 at random points of drinking 

Edited by doulikefish

26 minutes ago, Snafu said:

So who will drive that Aston Martin next season? Seb has been talking up Mick Schumacher.

The car has been a disappointment since the ownership change so maybe a level up from Stroll and experience for the long haul of developing that car. Stroll's weakness is relatively compared to other drivers that the technical side isn't his strong point. Maybe the return of the 'Hulk'? Magnussen, Vandoorne, Albon?

If they want to take a risk with a new driver Calum Ilott or Felipe Drugovich maybe.

Illot has just signed a multi year deal with his Indy car team juncos

Just now, Snafu said:

I thought he was on his way to F1 next season as part of a Ferrari deal with a small team. I guess he, like Ticktum are not looking at progressing in that direction anymore.

Anyone for both Stroll and Latifi at Aston Martin next season?

Signed today aswell and what's unsual for an Indy team it's not  linked to gnassi or Andretti ie moving on to them 

Nick de Vries would be my shout to get a cheaper engine deal from Merc 

First time I've ever been disappointed in a driver retiring. Would have liked to see Seb get one more year in a car that could challenge for the odd win or at least podium.

The only time Chadwick has competed against her actual peers (and not the total numpties in W Series) she got absolutely rinsed by not only her team-mates, but by people (Vips and Hauger) that took part in less than half of the races. Also, isn't the reason she's still fucking about in the W Series because she doesn't have enough sponsors to get into F2, if that's the case how will she end up in F1? Obviously being the Williams development driver is a PR move for them, no danger she actually gets a full-time seat, does she even have a super license? 
I do agree that she should probably get a seat in F2 though.

Edited by Mr. Brightside

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2022/jul/29/vettels-activism-defined-latter-years-but-talent-burned-brightest-on-track

He enjoyed arguably the better car over Hamilton for much of 2017 and 2018 but the seven-time champion came out on top in both.

Your weekly reminder that Mercedes have absolutely dominated and won every single Constructors' title since the hybrid era began in 2014. But Saint Lewis didn't actually have the best car. Seems legit. 

Edited by vikingTON

You can see this exact same dynamic play out with Leclerc already: a Ferrari that, while quick, is more of a handful than the rest of the top cars. This results in 'pressure' claims while some completely dull Merc car just gets pointed and squirted from one corner to the next. 

TBF Vettel really should have won the title in 2018. Giving Hamilton more than enough until he binned it at Hockenheim, and then totally fell away after the Belgian GP. It was so bad that even Kimi was completely outperforming him once it was clear the title fight was effectively over. He went from looking like a rejuvenated four-time Champion to a dejected, beaten man because of one single mistake. 2017 wasn't quite the same. Ferrari didn't help themselves with things like the nonsense in Singapore, but that car wasn't truly as competitive v's the Merc as it's successor and it was never genuinely in a title fight beyond the first quarter of the season.

Regardless, it is quite amusing watching Hamilton struggle badly in what is turning out to truly be a dog of a car, and not just a genuinely competitive one undergoing some bedding-in issues.