The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

17 hours ago, pandarilla said:

F1 releasing a statement about fans being subjected to tracklist and homophobic abuse.

I suppose Hamilton brought this on as well?

I was surprised to read that Verstappen considers the taking of alcohol to be a mitigating factor.

Many would describe this comment as lacking in class.

15 minutes ago, sophia said:

I was surprised to read that Verstappen considers the taking of alcohol to be a mitigating factor.

I have no skin in this game but this is a huge misrepresentation of what he said. 

3 hours ago, sophia said:

Verstappen said: "It is not good and these things shouldn't happen.

"I read a few shocking things and that is clearly not OK. I shouldn't need to say this, it should be a general understanding that this shouldn't happen. A normal human being shouldn't think like that or behave like it."

What's wrong with that? 

ETA: I assume you also meant this bit. Again, I don't see what you're crying about. 

Asked what could be done to stop such incidents from happening, Verstappen said: "The one thing that can be improved is maybe with security in places, to keep people in check, supervisors.

"Also, don't forget - and this is not an excuse - but they watch the races and then go back and party and have fun, drink alcohol.

"Sometimes when you drink alcohol, you can do stupid things - I don't say this as an excuse - but these things can be regulated.

"There is a certain amount of alcohol, maybe, before it is time to go to bed, wake up the next morning and be sober because if you start to go really crazy, you can do stupid things."

Edited by Day of the Lords

There are plenty things you can portray positively and negatively about both Verstappen and Hamilton ranging from their driving to their personalities. I choose to enjoy both as they are excellent drivers and bring eyes to the sport. Hating someone for being the best is very boring. 

7 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I don't see what you're crying about. 

There's an excitable level of partisan in this wee section of p&B and that's impressive to see.

As for Verstappen, I think it is fair to question the motives behind the words, words including "alcohol" and "stupid things", of a person that will have undertaken literally hundreds of hours of media training.

7 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Verstappen said: "It is not good and these things shouldn't happen.

"I read a few shocking things and that is clearly not OK. I shouldn't need to say this, it should be a general understanding that this shouldn't happen. A normal human being shouldn't think like that or behave like it."

What's wrong with that? 

ETA: I assume you also meant this bit. Again, I don't see what you're crying about. 

Asked what could be done to stop such incidents from happening, Verstappen said: "The one thing that can be improved is maybe with security in places, to keep people in check, supervisors.

"Also, don't forget - and this is not an excuse - but they watch the races and then go back and party and have fun, drink alcohol.

"Sometimes when you drink alcohol, you can do stupid things - I don't say this as an excuse - but these things can be regulated.

"There is a certain amount of alcohol, maybe, before it is time to go to bed, wake up the next morning and be sober because if you start to go really crazy, you can do stupid things."

1 minute ago, sophia said:

There's an excitable level of partisan in this wee section of p&B and that's impressive to see.

As for Verstappen, I think it is fair to question the motives behind the words, words including "alcohol" and "stupid things", of a person that will have undertaken literally hundreds of hours of media training.

What motives?

He suggests getting steward-type folk in there to deal with arseholes - entirely reasonable

He suggests that a few of the folk being arseholes were pished - again entirely reasonable, as anyone who's ever watched any sporting event which involves a long day and alcohol availability will surely agree with. It's not unreasonable to assume that a fair number of muppets got pished and acted the c**t as a result. 

You're either on the troll, or far more of a myopic loonball than the posters you're actually having a go at. 

2 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

What motives?

He suggests getting steward-type folk in there to deal with arseholes - entirely reasonable

He suggests that a few of the folk being arseholes were pished - again entirely reasonable, as anyone who's ever watched any sporting event which involves a long day and alcohol availability will surely agree with. It's not unreasonable to assume that a fair number of muppets got pished and acted the c**t as a result. 

You're either on the troll, or far more of a myopic loonball than the posters you're actually having a go at. 

If he wished to comment reasonably I'd suggest he should have restricted himself to a simple "discriminatory language and behaviour is unacceptable in all circumstances".

24 minutes ago, sophia said:

If he wished to comment reasonably I'd suggest he should have restricted himself to a simple "discriminatory language and behaviour is unacceptable in all circumstances".

He was literally asked what should be done to prevent such incidents, you dippit c**t 😂

26 minutes ago, sophia said:

Ah, he condemned the behaviour too much. 

:lol:

1 hour ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

As sport photos go, this is a great one.....

Maybe not for the photographer who could well be in a spot of bother with the FIA media department for going past the line of the barrier and getting in the way of the marshals...