The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

23 hours ago, Snafu said:

If the race is a re start then he should be allowed to take the spare car.

The previous start was void, the argument over getting assistance should be neither here nor there.

22 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

Aye cos the spare car is definitely set up for him 😉

22 hours ago, Snafu said:

I take it is a little bit more complicated now a days than a seat change and moving the pedals forward.

Why is it so different now than at any other time in F1 history.

Tell us more about this mythical spare car. Would love to see some pictures of this.

I've never seen a single seater racing car travel for so far on its roll bar or in this case what was left of it.
Usually they designed to roll the car over upright or protect the driver's head in case of impact, I wonder if the halo contributed to that energy slide acting like a roof and countered how the bar is supposed to work, possibly the bar had already broke when the car turned over and impacted the track at the start of the crash which is not good, that is a weakness in the roll bar. You've seen saloon car racing where a car has ended up upside down sliding on its roof. I wasn't too worried about the Zhou so much sliding upside down it was hitting the tyre wall part and going over and getting pinned which was concerning as this brings in the unknown such as what would happen if there was a fire would he be able to get out quickly or would the driver be subjected to a head or back injury during impact with the barrier?
Derek Warwick had something similar at Hockenheim in 1993 when his Footwork Arrows ended upside down after colliding with another car in the wet. The car sliding upside down in the gravel digging itself deeper as it traveled. He was very lucky to survive that.

Is the roll bar the bright yellow thing? I looked like that broke off early in the slide, I thought it was his helmet but turns out that was a dark coloured thing.

The halo looks like an annoyance, having something down the middle of your vision must be off putting, but it’s certainly saving lives.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The defence presumably being that Ricciardo is a demonstrable wage thief on a weekly basis.

Ricciardo ran from a competitive car to avoid being teammates with Verstappen. Norris who is a pretty decent driver is pretty much doing to him what he ran from Red Bull to avoid. 

Ricciardo ran from a competitive car to avoid being teammates with Verstappen. Norris who is a pretty decent driver is pretty much doing to him what he ran from Red Bull to avoid. 
The days of him beating Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull are so very long ago. He's done