The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

11 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Yet another senile old driver has been saying very stupid things.

Neither of the statements mention Piquet which is a bit disappointing - effectively telling not to be racist (which I obviously have no issue with) but not explaining the background. I'd no idea why it was being put out until I found a story about Piquet.

I saw The Telegraph trying to whip up something about Jackie Stewart having said something racist the other week but it was behind their paywall so couldn't find it.

Yet another senile old driver has been saying very stupid things.

Nelson Piquet has previous for making horribly offensive remarks about certain drivers but he's managed to surpass himself this time. Stupid old racist.

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Neither of the statements mention Piquet which is a bit disappointing - effectively telling not to be racist (which I obviously have no issue with) but not explaining the background. I'd no idea why it was being put out until I found a story about Piquet.

I saw The Telegraph trying to whip up something about Jackie Stewart having said something racist the other week but it was behind their paywall so couldn't find it.

I think this is the Jackie Stewart thing. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/lewis-hamilton-retire-jackie-stewart-27309069

It's not as blatantly offensive as Piquet's nonsense, but I think there's borderline iffy stuff there.

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

Piquet's comment is outright racist. Apparently from last year too, so surprising it took so long to be heard, but that is perhaps his relevance these days. Won't help Verstappen given the family ties. 

Only saw snapshots of the quotes from Jackie Stewart but I thought it was pretty much standard fare punditry "should have gone on a high, he'll be successful outside F1". A lot of the chat on reddit was that Stewart's comments were virtually a carbon copy of an interview he gave about Michael Schumacher. 

16 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/lewis-hamilton-retire-jackie-stewart-27309069

It's not as blatantly offensive as Piquet's nonsense, but I think there's borderline iffy stuff there.

Such as? Like most of these types of stories that cause outrage on Twitter, half of the article is the outlet's own spin and there's only a couple of paras of actual quotes, which could have been taken out of context and people won't have actually read it past the headline anyway. Here's the quotes, which I'm assuming are in response to a question of along the lines of should Lewis continue if his car is not going to give him a chance at the title.

"It’s time for him to resign," he said. "He’s got music, he’s got culture, he loves clothing and the rag trade would be absolutely suitable for him,"

"I’m sure he’ll be very successful because he’s been earning a huge amount of money — rightfully so because he’s been the best of his time. Lewis is in that group of the Ayrton Sennas and the Alain Prosts — or even the Jackie Stewarts maybe."

"It’s a pity he wasn’t resigning at the top but I don’t think that’s going to happen now," he added.

"But nevertheless it’s wiser to stop than go through all the pain of not being able to do what you did before. He’s carried the sport well. I’d like to see him resigning now."

Virtue signalling pish from the FIA, F1 and most weirdly Merc. Wishy-washy statements vaguely condemning racism. That'll show him.
Yep, should just come out and say he is banned from F1 events. It's not really that hard.

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Won't help Verstappen given the family ties. 

That's tabloid press chat. 

Don't sense there's many Hamilton fans among us but it's pretty obvious everyone feels nothing but disgust over this one.

The response to it from the immediate companies, F1, FiA etc has been pretty poor though. 

56 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Perhaps, but you know Max is going to be asked about it and I'm sure he could have done without his partner's dad being racist to a rival. 

So if your birds dad did something, how are you in any way accountable for that? 

It's just a ridiculous angle. Non point.

1 hour ago, V.Aye.R said:

So if your birds dad did something, how are you in any way accountable for that? 

It's just a ridiculous angle. Non point.

He's not accountable for it. 

My point is the media is going to ask him about it at Silverstone and it's an issue and distraction he wouldn't have wanted or needed. 

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

He's not accountable for it. 

My point is the media is going to ask him about it at Silverstone and it's an issue and distraction he wouldn't have wanted or needed. 

Not at all. Reject racism in any form and support him. If anything it'll have the opposite effect to what all the clickbait weirdos want. 

10 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Piquet's comment is outright racist. Apparently from last year too, so surprising it took so long to be heard, but that is perhaps his relevance these days. Won't help Verstappen given the family ties. 

Only saw snapshots of the quotes from Jackie Stewart but I thought it was pretty much standard fare punditry "should have gone on a high, he'll be successful outside F1". A lot of the chat on reddit was that Stewart's comments were virtually a carbon copy of an interview he gave about Michael Schumacher. 

I think the interview was conducted last year, but it was only released on Monday, so someone has been sitting on this for ages before making it public. 

As many of you know I worked in Brazil for years and Piquets comments were an absolute disgrace and should never get in to a race again even if he pays for a ticket but believe it or not the word he used is an actual term of endearment down there and is commonly used but Piquet lives/lived in Monaco for most of his life and shouldn't be coming out with that kinda of language

I'm not sticking up for him just to give it some background 

Edited by doulikefish

19 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

As many of you know I worked in Brazil for years and Piquets comments were an absolute disgrace and should never get in to a race again even if he pays for a ticket but believe it or not the word he used is an actual term of endearment down there and is commonly used but Piquet lives/lived in Monaco for most of his life and shouldn't be coming out with that kinda of language

I'm not sticking up for him just to give it some background 

Was it not similar discussion to the term used by Suárez of Liverpool against Evra of Man Utd?

That’s South American culture for you. 

Thankfully we seem in the main to have significantly reduced the racist chanting in football in Scotland, however it still exists to an extent with older people in our society.

If only it was easy to get rid of sectarianism.

I was called nego when in Brazil. Well, it was the plural form. I was walking shirtless in a park and the security guard at the entrance told me to put a top on. He addressed me and my partner as "negos". I'm ethnic Scot/Brit, I was with a Euro-Brazilian and the security guard looked mostly Euro with possibly some partial Afro heritage. 

Nego is a corruption of the word black. I've seen it reported in anglophone media that it's comparable to the US "nigga". That's not a great comparison because there isn't a Portuguese equivalent of the American N-word. Nego didn't come about the way nigga did in US. It's believed it was black Brazilians in Bahia (black-majority region) who began using nego but just in a similar way as the corruption of other words. It's not as a play on an N-word equivalent the way Black Americans have done with nigga.

Although Nego/os/as/inho/inha/aõ/etc. are not racist in theory, they definitely can be in practice because Brazil is a racist society where the more African heritage an individual has, the lower down the socio-economic hierarchy they are likely to be. A good example was the trash TV show in recent times "Sexo e as Negas" ("Sex and the black women", a play on Sex in the City). It was for a wealthy, white Brazilian audience to have all their racist and sexist prejudices confirmed that poor black Brazilian women are simple and sex-crazed. 

So while you get innocuous usage of the word as with my experience of being called it, you also get really nasty racist usage of it when it's a Nelson Piquet-like Brazilian referring to black people.