The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

4 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

Verstappen is the new hamilton, perez the new bottas. (Checo its James)
Actually thought that was a great recovery drive from hamilton but nobody on here will admit it.
Ferrari seem to be the hibs of F1.

I'll admit it. Good recovery. 

As Spanish races go that wasn't bad. In general the track is still boring and without DRS would be useless. 

Fucking Monaco next. I will watch the qualifying, might skip the race. 

9 hours ago, jakedee said:

Red Bull will turn people off this sport as Ferrari did with their " team tactics". To have team orders so early in the season, is crap to watch.

Mercedes done it for 8 years before them and Ferrari before that. F1 will be fine.

Hamilton vs Rosberg were let to go toe to toe mostly,  but the car was that dominant the Merc knew they had both titles anyway.

Can’t remember a time when there’s been more than 1 team going for the drivers championship when there’s not been clear number 1 drivers 

I'll admit it. Good recovery. 
As Spanish races go that wasn't bad. In general the track is still boring and without DRS would be useless. 
Fucking Monaco next. I will watch the qualifying, might skip the race. 
Indy500 and Nascar are always my preferences on that weekend of the year.

I don't know if Checo would have won that one - I think given the 2 stop saw Bottas reverse at the end, that Verstappen was always going to pip him on pace. Team orders probably makes sense as Red Bull have form for their drivers tossing away points by racing and crashing into each other.

The battle between Russell and a DRSless Verstappen was brilliant fun to watch.

Hamilton's drive went competely under the radar. It was only with about 10 laps to go that I even noticed where he had manaed to get himself up to.

On this season's showing, Sainz really isn't deserving of the seat at Ferrari. Hard to say who they could replace him with though. Has he binned more times that Latifi this season?

Ferrari will be gutted at that DNF after Charles was cruising. It was a race they really could have done with winning given some of the faster tracks are coming up. They need Charles to win Monaco, which going by his abysmal record there, is quite the ask.

6 hours ago, Sir Tarmo said:

Ferrari will be gutted at that DNF after Charles was cruising. It was a race they really could have done with winning given some of the faster tracks are coming up. They need Charles to win Monaco, which going by his abysmal record there, is quite the ask.

If it's wet. Id be getting an early bird bet on Russell. 

I get it's not very exciting as a spectacle, but for me there is still something special about the Monaco GP. I still think back to watching the likes of Senna and Mansell tearing round it in glorified go karts at ridiculous speeds before safety is what it is now. If there are serious concerns over the appearance then there are other races I'd remove from the calendar first.

I'm with jaggy on this one , there's definitely something special about Monaco that makes it bigger than the sum of its parts for me.  A rarity these days to have a track that is totally unique and has the genuine threat of someone binning it at every corner it should be held on to instead of being replaced with another generic safetydrome.  

As for this weekend's race it'll be interesting to see how the ultra-stiff ground effect cars with the low profile tyres will cope with all the bumps and cambers . Could see a lot more action than we have been used to .