The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

The obsession with hamilton on here is pretty mental, he did absolutely nothing in the race and is still talk of the thread.
As said leclerc needs to learn when to just accept (in this case) 3rd place. Good drives from norris, russell and bottas in an otherwise awful race.

11 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

The obsession with hamilton on here is pretty mental, he did absolutely nothing in the race and is still talk of the thread.
As said leclerc needs to learn when to just accept (in this case) 3rd place. Good drives from norris, russell and bottas in an otherwise awful race.

I see where you're coming from, but surely the fact that the 7 time World Champion finished 13th, and was lapped by the race winner, someone who he went wheel to wheel with for the title last year, in a car that his teammate was able to drag to 4th is worth comment?

Also, this is P&B, of course the guy heavily promoted by the broadcasters is going to get the pish ripped if he's shite.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I see where you're coming from, but surely the fact that the 7 time World Champion finished 13th, and was lapped by the race winner, someone who he went wheel to wheel with for the title last year, in a car that his teammate was able to drag to 4th is worth comment?

Also, this is P&B, of course the guy heavily promoted by the broadcasters is going to get the pish ripped if he's shite.

Worth commenting on? Yes.

The only thing that has been discussed on this thread all weekend? Probably not.

Like @afc_36_0 I don't particularly like Hamilton but this thread is pretty much unusable if you want to talk or read about any other topic. Its not really about Formula 1, its just a support group for people who hate Lewis Hamilton.

I don't think it's fair to say it's the only thing that has been discussed. @doulikefish and @Sarto Mutiny both made excellent points about the pressure on Ferrari to deliver at Imola, and how that potentially affected Leclerc in going for the fastest lap instead of just securing third. Max probably does deserve more discussion though, he seemed dominant all weekend, and even on Saturday when he fucked the start, he stayed calm and had the confidence they could just reel the Ferrari in.

It is setting up to be really interesting between Ferrari and RB, 2 strong teams, and 4 very decent drivers, although Sainz could do with a bit less bad luck

It's clearly not the only thing discussed. 

When the guy who's dominated F1 for years is getting gubbed by his new teammate, lapped by his former title rival and is pissing about at the back half of the field, it's understandable people are going to talk about it. 

I'm sure if Michael Schumacher was pissing about in 14th after winning his 7 titles and being called the greatest driver and wheel to wheel racer who is able to out-perform his car and pass anyone, all while his team-mate is in 4th, it would simply pass without comment.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I'm sure if Michael Schumacher was pissing about in 14th after winning his 7 titles and being called the greatest driver and wheel to wheel racer who is able to out-perform his car and pass anyone, all while his team-mate is in 4th, it would simply pass without comment.

14th was quite a respectable position for Schumacher during the Mercedes years tbf.

18 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Indeed. 3rd place wasn't great, but it wasn't the worst result under the cicrumstances.

Leclerc had a pit stop advantage over Norris (if the team hadn't been slow at the stop) and gambling on a fresh set of tyres is pretty standard behaviour at that point in the race. They should have closed up to Perez before the stop though to prevent Red Bull from covering it, and should have come on five laps earlier. If anything, Ferrari were too conservative on strategy. Just settling 3rd place is not acceptable given the pace of their car. 

The Captain Hindsight takes also assume that Leclerc would have easily got to the end on a set of mediums despite the evidence of wear in the sprint race. He could well have binned it into the wall with race-ending damage on worn tyres as well. 

Hamilton has the look of a driver who has completely chucked the season already. Odd that the greatest driver of ALL TIME would do this IMO.
Given all he has done throughout his career, and his age, it's probably normal that if given a bad car he won't be as motivated as a young, hungry and bloody fast team mate.

The question is, where does he go from here?

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

I said this a few weeks ago, but the template for Mercedes is 2005. Ferrari hosed everyone in 2004 but in 2005 their car was a dog. They won only one race all season, and that was a farce where all the Michelin cars pulled out of the US GP, leaving just 6 cars racing. 

Ferrari (with Schumacher, Todt and Brawn) didn't go mad. Didn't throw their toys out of the pram. There were no radio apologies to Schumacher. They just pulled together as a team and were fighting for the title in 2006. I don't get that sense today from Mercedes. 

34 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I said this a few weeks ago, but the template for Mercedes is 2005. Ferrari hosed everyone in 2004 but in 2005 their car was a dog. They won only one race all season, and that was a farce where all the Michelin cars pulled out of the US GP, leaving just 6 cars racing. 

I was so glad I spent a couple of grand on travel etc to attend that race 👀

20 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Every Max win be like : r/formuladank

Truly the charismatic champion every sport needs

This has been said before but the number of F1 champions who are not total bellends is extremely small. Maybe Vettel. Raikkonen? Not many more in the modern era, certainly.