The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Was it not active suspension that sorted out previous porpoising issues? I watched a video from about a year ago on this and if I remember rightly making the suspension really stiff just made the car bounce on the tyres instead of the suspension, it wasn't until they developed active suspension that cars got over the issue (then they banned it).

Active suspension didn't appear in F1 until the original ground effect era was well past. The cars of the early 80's run rubber skirts along the edge of the floor to create a seal and help 'suck' the car on to the ground and keep the pressure low.

The Group C cars had ludicrous amounts of HP, so they could get away with running rock-hard suspensions, huge amounts of rear wing, and low ride heights.

My impression is that the ground effect component of these F1 cars just isn't as whole-hearted or efficient as the 80's era stuff. They don't produce either a consistent enough venturi effect or consistent enough low pressure zone to keep the chassis glued to the track when the airflow naturally varies. I've been fortunate enough to get right up close with a couple of Group C monsters (I'm a model builder) and the venturi tunnels underneath were absolutely cavernous, and the floor aside from that completely flat, surprisingly large, and a much larger surface area than the current F1 cars can possibly provide. The current LM prototypes are much the same underneath as the Group C's, although they are no doubt much more aerodynamically efficient as less reliant on the ground effect for grip. In short, I think the porpoising problem is simply down to ground effect that isn't efficient enough because they haven't gone 'all out' with the concept due to the designers being desperate to produce ever smaller and sleeker profiles. I think they'll fix it by just revising the regs to provide more of an inherent effect.

7 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Active suspension didn't appear in F1 until the original ground effect era was well past. The cars of the early 80's run rubber skirts along the edge of the floor to create a seal and help 'suck' the car on to the ground and keep the pressure low.

The Group C cars had ludicrous amounts of HP, so they could get away with running rock-hard suspensions, huge amounts of rear wing, and low ride heights.

My impression is that the ground effect component of these F1 cars just isn't as whole-hearted or efficient as the 80's era stuff. They don't produce either a consistent enough venturi effect or consistent enough low pressure zone to keep the chassis glued to the track when the airflow naturally varies. I've been fortunate enough to get right up close with a couple of Group C monsters (I'm a model builder) and the venturi tunnels underneath were absolutely cavernous, and the floor aside from that completely flat, surprisingly large, and a much larger surface area than the current F1 cars can possibly provide. The current LM prototypes are much the same underneath as the Group C's, although they are no doubt much more aerodynamically efficient as less reliant on the ground effect for grip. In short, I think the porpoising problem is simply down to ground effect that isn't efficient enough because they haven't gone 'all out' with the concept due to the designers being desperate to produce ever smaller and sleeker profiles. I think they'll fix it by just revising the regs to provide more of an inherent effect.

this is has just made me remember that all forms of motorsport were better in the old days

NZ6GU3bviVGaLKHAztOsRvRgBUHmhnx2Jmtl8dwBeW8.png?auto=webp&s=144fa885b3bc4ec5de9c82f46997beb1b383a877