The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

13 hours ago, Stu said:

Saturday evening/night of Thanksgiving Weekend seems to be the rumour for Vegas. Going to be an early morning job here unless it starts at midnight over there (which is unlikely).

My other half doesn't like F1 (or sport come to that) but said she'd give Drive to Survive a try so I'd been holding off watching it. She watched 20 minutes of the first episode tonight before chucking it - twice as much as I'd predicted but still a bit annoying!

My years of setting an alarm to watch an F1 race are long gone. 

I'll maybe record it, or not even watch it. 

Reuters reporting Volkswagen will green light both Audi & Porsche joining F1, presumably from 2024/25.

I think it’s probably that Andretti will end up buying Haas, so back to twelve teams in the not too distant future. Will also be interesting to see if they keep the Porsche Formula E entry going on the side, too.

16 hours ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

Reuters reporting Volkswagen will green light both Audi & Porsche joining F1, presumably from 2024/25.

I think it’s probably that Andretti will end up buying Haas, so back to twelve teams in the not too distant future. Will also be interesting to see if they keep the Porsche Formula E entry going on the side, too.

Audi reported as trying to buy McLaren as there way in 

It will be somewhat amusing if it turns out Merc aren't just having 'teething troubles', and in fact they've just designed a pig of a car. Even funnier if Russell continues to outpace his teammate.
There's still chat of "when they get it right" and "untapped potential" with Mercedes and I don't know how much of that is fact and how much is because it's Mercedes.

Well I think what's telling is that all the Merc customers are struggling badly, so clearly they've lost ground on the engine front, but also, plenty of other teams are suffering just as much with porpoising, yet they aren't having any trouble sticking in lap times that make the Merc look like a trundler. I suspect this is yet again down to Merc's long-standing design philosophy of having relatively little rake and the car as low to the ground as possible, so it's affecting their airflow and chassis in a much more harmful manner than cars which were designed to be more forgiving in general setup. If this is the case, then I think they are in serious bother, because the rake-related problems they encountered before were caused by an issue that was much less of an all-encompassing problem than this one. I haven't looked at what the other strugglers are doing, but the Aston seems to be yet another Merc-philosophy clone, and Mclaren are known for trying to design their cars to be as slippy as possible, so I think this might well be a fundamental design philosophy flaw that isn't going to be easily remedied. Here's hoping. The Lewis radio tantrums could be epic.:lol:

I am getting serious 2005 vibes about this Mercedes. 

In 2004 Ferrari hosed everybody. Won 15 races and had the championship in the bag early. In 2005 they changed the design philosophy of the car and won only one race - and that was the Indy race where all the Michelin cars pulled out. 

I expect Hamilton to struggle all year. Will he be back next year? No clue.

44 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Caught a bit of practice this morning and the bounce on the Ferrari was something else, you couldn’t take that for too many laps.

Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous on the visuals. Doesn't appear to unsettle their car through the braking zones the way it does to some others though.

I find it curious that back in the heyday of Ground Effect, both F1 and especially Group C were known for having bone-shattering rock-hard suspensions to prevent the cars lifting too far from the ground and to control the airflow underneath, yet here we are in the 'pinnacle' of motorsport, and a good portion of the grid's designers seem to have forgotten all about this phenomenon when designing this iteration of F1 cars. Wonder how much of that is down to computer modelling, and humans forgetting about what actually happens in practice.

Edited by Boo Khaki

11 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous on the visuals. Doesn't appear to unsettle their car through the braking zones the way it does to some others though.

I find it curious that back in the heyday of Ground Effect, both F1 and especially Group C were known for having bone-shattering rock-hard suspensions to prevent the cars lifting too far from the ground and to control the airflow underneath, yet here we are in the 'pinnacle' of motorsport, and a good portion of the grid's designers seem to have forgotten all about this phenomenon when designing this iteration of F1 cars. Wonder how much of that is down to computer modelling, and humans forgetting about what actually happens in practice.

Was it not active suspension that sorted out previous porpoising issues? I watched a video from about a year ago on this and if I remember rightly making the suspension really stiff just made the car bounce on the tyres instead of the suspension, it wasn't until they developed active suspension that cars got over the issue (then they banned it).