The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

23 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

Nice tribute to Taylor Hawkins at the end of Sky F1 qualy there.

I remember the first BBC race in 2009 played Times like these at the end.

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Nonsense to not go straight to an actual SC. Really screwed Perez.

Not sure it would've made too much difference, as the drivers have to go slower immediately under a full SC so those who hadn't pitted would've still gained time.

35 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

That DRS detection zone is so stupid.

Didn't realise the detection zone was so close to the final corner, normally it is further back meaning the driver behind can both make the pass and then get DRS.

I know Latifi brings a fair bit of backing with him to Williams, but surely it’s only a matter of time before he’s punted? 3 DNFs in 3 races down to driver error.

Can we all agree that the whole braking before the DRS line is ridiculous? Shows just how powerful it is on these new cars. Feel like there will be a change coming that reduces the size of gap that the DRS flap creates to reduce the effect of the system, because it does look a bit daft at current.

Aboves aside that was a thoroughly enjoyable race. Plenty of action up and down the field and always helps when there’s a bit of chaos to mix things up. The new regs look to be a winner for me and I’m sure Pat Symonds, Ross Brawn & Stefano Domenicalli will be delighted with the first two Grand Prix. I think if/when Mercedes get their car development in order and there are six drivers going at it we’ll be in for some tasty races later in the season.

I think if you listen carefully, Jacque Villeneuve is desperately trying to get in touch with journalists to complain about the lack of decent Canadian drivers.......again.
Where is this?

Also good to see the knicker wetting doom mongers who predicted armagedon today proved wrong.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Herbert is a fucking clown as well.

Possibly the only pundit who makes me yearn for Damon Hill... Painful listening

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

Alonso vs Ocon early on was brilliant as was the battle between the front two near the end.

I was surprised Alpine let them race for as long as they did, as it looked to be getting a bit tasty at points. And then it let Bottas close right up.

2 hours ago, Dylan Easton Fanclub said:

Can we all agree that the whole braking before the DRS line is ridiculous? Shows just how powerful it is on these new cars. Feel like there will be a change coming that reduces the size of gap that the DRS flap creates to reduce the effect of the system, because it does look a bit daft at current.

They'll surely change need to change the drs zone on upcoming tracks as it does look way too powerful as it is. Although there does seem to be a distinct difference in the top end speeds of the engines at the moment (Red Bull>Ferrari/Renault>Mercedes) so maybe a combination of a much faster engine and drs may make it look more potent than it is. 

As someone who hasn't watched F1 for years as I got bored of the monotony of it, I thought I'd give these opening races a go with the new regs. I thought yesterday was great, I like the cars having a wee wild edge and the drivers having to struggle to hold it together. Some of the overtaking was brilliant yesterday. A lot of likeable drivers on the grid now too. I hope some of the teams can make progress and it doesn't just stay as Ferrari and RB out in front, although that does look a great battle. 

I hadn't seen much of Steiner before the start of this year but between him and Magnussen it's difficult not to root for Haas pulling one out the bag this year. 

2 hours ago, The Golden God said:

F1 Twitter all but confirming they’re going to Vegas.

November aswell hopefully fit in a raiders game aswell since the race is rumoured to be on the Saturday evening

Saturday evening/night of Thanksgiving Weekend seems to be the rumour for Vegas. Going to be an early morning job here unless it starts at midnight over there (which is unlikely).

My other half doesn't like F1 (or sport come to that) but said she'd give Drive to Survive a try so I'd been holding off watching it. She watched 20 minutes of the first episode tonight before chucking it - twice as much as I'd predicted but still a bit annoying!