The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

I see there are rumblings on Twitter that Spa could be emptied after 2023, which would be absolutely appalling. It's just going to end up with 10 shit American raves and another 15 in soulless middle-eastern tracks.

Also talk of the Vegas race being at night seems mental, will likely cut viewing figures in at least half.

Edited by Mr. Brightside

If you want to ditch an old iconic race… get Monaco in the sea. It’s just a waste of a weekend. Granted most street tracks don’t do it for me but the way the talk it up as something special when it really isn’t just gets on my t!ts

If you want to ditch an old iconic race… get Monaco in the sea. It’s just a waste of a weekend. Granted most street tracks don’t do it for me but the way the talk it up as something special when it really isn’t just gets on my t!ts
I fully understand that as a spectacle Monaco is not a particularly exciting watch. However, all the drivers say it is a special place to race so would imagine the GPDA would have something to say if they ever thought of dumping it. Spa is terrific albeit last years debacle didn't do it any favours. I would get rid of Hungary, Barcelona and Azerbaijan before either spa or Monaco

I don't think I have ever seen a bad Belgian Grand Prix. 2021 doesn't count. 

Spa is tremendous and should certainly stay over the soulless places they have now. The Hungaroring is awful. Monaco is the most boring GP to watch but will stay because it is iconic. 

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I don't think I have ever seen a bad Belgian Grand Prix. 2021 doesn't count. 

Spa is tremendous and should certainly stay over the soulless places they have now. The Hungaroring is awful. Monaco is the most boring GP to watch but will stay because it is iconic. 

I quite like Hungary actually. Agree though, Monaco gets this massive billing and its pish. 

Monaco has only really become so monotonous because of this ridiculous era of cars that are as reliable and metronomic as high street runabouts.

It used to be a total car-breaker, so even as 4th or 5th GP on the calendar it would still catch teams with their pants down, and the number of retirals usually made up for the comparative lack of on-track overtaking. Even more interesting if it was a wet Monaco GP because that really sorted the men from the boys.

Again, with most of the modern tracks, it's actually the cars that are complete shite, not the track. Exceptions to Borecelona and Melbourne. A motorbike circuit that cars have no business being on, and a totally sterile, bland, interconnected random pile of bits of tarmac that has no business trying to host any sort of racing whatsoever. Seriously, the fact Albert Park is used for anything other than a series of industrial access roads to dump waste is a fucking disgrace to all motorsport. I'd literally rather watch 50 year old americans turn left 7 million times on an oval that anything on that utter fucking binfire of a 'track'.

Down the years I've seen several attempts to combine all the best bits of various circuits into one, and come up with the ultimate 'fantasy' racing circuit. Albert Park is the complete opposite. If you took all the most bland, anodyne, sterile, unimaginative, dull, unchallenging, and instantly forgettable bits of track on the planet and combined them to make one track, you'd get Albert Park. It just has no memorable, interesting, or remarkable features whatsoever. Not a single one. No change of elevation, no challenging corners, no interesting straights, no difficult combos, not even any odd camber to challenge chassis. It's so dull and unremarkable I'm surprised the drivers can stay awake long enough to complete a full GP distance.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Monaco has only really become so monotonous because of this ridiculous era of cars that are as reliable and metronomic as high street runabouts.
It used to be a total car-breaker, so even as 4th or 5th GP on the calendar it would still catch teams with their pants down, and the number of retirals usually made up for the comparative lack of on-track overtaking. Even more interesting if it was a wet Monaco GP because that really sorted the men from the boys.
Again, with most of the modern tracks, it's actually the cars that are complete shite, not the track. Exceptions to Borecelona and Melbourne. A motorbike circuit that cars have no business being on, and a totally sterile, bland, interconnected random pile of bits of tarmac that has no business trying to host any sort of racing whatsoever. Seriously, the fact Albert Park is used for anything other than a series of industrial access roads to dump waste is a fucking disgrace to all motorsport. I'd literally rather watch 50 year old americans turn left 7 million times on an oval that anything on that utter fucking binfire of a 'track'.
Down the years I've seen several attempts to combine all the best bits of various circuits into one, and come up with the ultimate 'fantasy' racing circuit. Albert Park is the complete opposite. If you took all the most bland, anodyne, sterile, unimaginative, dull, unchallenging, and instantly forgettable bits of track on the planet and combined them to make one track, you'd get Albert Park. It just has no memorable, interesting, or remarkable features whatsoever. Not a single one. No change of elevation, no challenging corners, no interesting straights, no difficult combos, not even any odd camber to challenge chassis. It's so dull and unremarkable I'm surprised the drivers can stay awake long enough to complete a full GP distance.
Fast ovals are awesome.

Finally finished DtS. Sad that the focus was on the title fight; I much prefer the stories of the smaller teams and their struggles. I guess it had to be on the title fight, but really we needed more Haas and Williams, and less of the Toto and Christian show. 

Finally finished DtS. Sad that the focus was on the title fight; I much prefer the stories of the smaller teams and their struggles. I guess it had to be on the title fight, but really we needed more Haas and Williams, and less of the Toto and Christian show. 

The past couple of episodes had to after that season but i thought there was good coverage of haas, williams and the ferrari-mclaren fight. Haas and gunther basically make dts

One of the issues - similar to Australia 2020 - is F1 probably doesn't want to cancel as it'll lose money, so they'll be waiting on the promotor cancelling or some force majeure that gets them off the hook. No doubt the Saudis/promoter will say it's safe so that puts the ball back in F1's court.