The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Just now, Stu said:

David Croft was good back in the day he did the Five Live coverage but his ego is the size of a small planet these days. His desperate attempt at a catchphrase with "lights out and away we go" is Partridge-esque.

He's got it written on his living room wall (think "love, laugh, live") 

Genuinely 

I like a bit of F1, but don’t keep up with ‘close season’ developments at all, so didn’t have a clue what to expect at Bahrain. Watching the race, I thought the cars were sexy as fcuk looking cars - best looking F1 cars for donkeys years. Enjoyed the race, enjoyed Lewis Hamilton not winning. Ferraris though. They shouldn’t be matt red. That 2022 Ferrari in bright gloss red under those lights would have looked the dug’s danglies.

Edited by pozbaird

18 hours ago, V.Aye.R said:

He's got it written on his living room wall (think "love, laugh, live") 

Genuinely 

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. Couldn't find it on Google but see you can get T-shirts and posters with it on it. FFS.

7 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

I always liked Ben Edwards all the way back to his early years on the original Eurosport. Can't remember if he did the long lost Screensport prior to that.

I meant to end my David Croft rant by saying how great Ben Edwards was. One of the positives of having to wait for the Channel 4 coverage was him being on it. He was great when he did the BTCC back in the day too.

Think the best pairing would've been Edwards (who actually has some club racing experience) and Brundle if Ben had joined the BBC in 2011 to replace Legard, sadly it is unlikely they will ever work together now.

Edited by Ginaro

23 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Di Resta isn't "Lewisy"enough for sky

He had a major rift with Hamilton's dad did he not and it was pretty acrimonious. He really doesn't seem to like Hamilton or Vettel. 

22 hours ago, Stu said:

David Croft was good back in the day he did the Five Live coverage but his ego is the size of a small planet these days. His desperate attempt at a catchphrase with "lights out and away we go" is Partridge-esque.

He was good on 5live. Edwards is terrific. A commentator who only gets truly excited when something special is going on not for every move and knows when to shut up is good. 

6 hours ago, Stu said:

That wouldn't surprise me one bit. Couldn't find it on Google but see you can get T-shirts and posters with it on it. FFS.

I meant to end my David Croft rant by saying how great Ben Edwards was. One of the positives of having to wait for the Channel 4 coverage was him being on it. He was great when he did the BTCC back in the day too.

The Abu Dhabi autopsy F1 show they did has him on a zoom call in his house. You'll see it there. 

4 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I realise Domenicali wants to cash in while interest in F1 is at a high, but 30 races a year seems utterly mental.

Yeah that's too much 

Vegas is going for a night race I've heard aswell but hopefully not in Ceasers  Palace car park again 

On 21/03/2022 at 18:33, Miguel Sanchez said:

Although I enjoyed the equally terrible WTF1 doing this.

Poundland Will Buxton and his cohorts on WTF1 are unlistenable.

Had to stop listening to their podcast when they couldn't even get simple facts right about a race that was less than 24 hours ago. Too busy wanking over LeClerc and Hamilton to care about the actual racing which leads to pish like "I thought *insert name of driver* had a great race to finish I think 12th"

How hard is it to have the results to hand so you don't make an arse of it. They really are the F1 version of Off the Ball.

30 is absolutely ridiculous , I feel already heading towards 25 is too much and as @scottsdad says it starts to dilute everything . I started watching when it was 16 and feel that probably about 18 but no more than 20 is about right. Imagine a 30 race season when after 20 races there's  already a clear winner. Looking at a dominant driver racking up over 500 pts in a season, not for me . 

The problem here is with the new F1 owners and their analytics. They see viewing figures and instantly think that means popularity and, therefore, sponsorship and money. Take the sprint races as an example - they have figures to show these are "popular". Well, no. I watched them because to not watch them is essentially missing the first 17 laps of a long race. But I do not like them. 

I am all in favour of the sport reaching new audiences but an ever increasing schedule benefits nobody. Surely the teams who actually have to do this will react.

Seen it suggested by a journalist that 30 races will never happen and it's just to show the interest that is out there.

They could have experiment with having a grand prix midweek. You could have one on a Sunday, one 10ish days later on a Wednesday then another 10ish days after that on a Sunday. Three races in four weeks, might be better for the mechanics etc. TV would be a pain but could be deliberately scheduled so they are prime time in Europe.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Seen it suggested by a journalist that 30 races will never happen and it's just to show the interest that is out there.

Brundle himself has said it was clearly stated as "there is enough interest from tracks/countries" to hold 30 races rather than there actually is going to be 30 races.

Sky clickbaiting their own interview.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Wow 🤣

Untitled.thumb.jpg.7b28941e8fe12aaf8177bb2910edb9f1.jpg

Red dotted just so i can express my outrage at what a twat Croft is.