The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

On 11/03/2022 at 22:24, JamesP_81 said:

Don't think there's any issue with the sidepods other than they look 'radical' , Ferrari saying they already went down that route but binned the concept. One part that clearly breaks the letter of the rules is the wing mirror on the Merc.  Wing mirrors defined as " not part of the bodywork" in the rules and rule 3.2.2 states parts that are not bodywork can have no aerodynamic benefit , whereas those wing mirror mounts look suspiciously aero beneficial to me 🤔

There is a way round it with saying it is part of the mirror stay. I think it will be discussed this week and probably binned as a concept. 

I think Mercedes aren't looking great and some of the onboards make it look like the drivers are struggling but can't shake the feeling that they'll rock up and be on the front row at the weekend. Ferrari looks good although we've seen it from them before... 

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

There is a way round it with saying it is part of the mirror stay. I think it will be discussed this week and probably binned as a concept. 

I think Mercedes aren't looking great and some of the onboards make it look like the drivers are struggling but can't shake the feeling that they'll rock up and be on the front row at the weekend. Ferrari looks good although we've seen it from them before... 

Yeah , the amount of porpoising the mercs are doing is crazy and they don't look particularly stable in the corners either.  However noone is looking totally planted which I think is great and a symptom of the ground effect cars . The amount of steering wheel correction through midspeed corners is noticeable on almost all the cars which can only be good for the close racing.  

Totally expect Merc to turn up next week looking on rails and miles ahead of everyone.  

I might be in the minority but I do not think Merc are sandbagging. The car looks ropey on the straights and in the corners. Oversteering everywhere. No pace. 

Red Bull finished the Bahrain test flying. I reckon it'll be a Ferrari-Red Bull fight for the front. Mercedes and McLaren behind them. 

I might be in the minority but I do not think Merc are sandbagging. The car looks ropey on the straights and in the corners. Oversteering everywhere. No pace. 
Red Bull finished the Bahrain test flying. I reckon it'll be a Ferrari-Red Bull fight for the front. Mercedes and McLaren behind them. 
Aye, because it's Mercedes and they have a history of sandbagging people are right to be sceptical, but car really didn't look great. If they're pretending, they all deserve Oscars

I don't think Mercedes are sandbagging but given their issues seem to come from (mainly) one area of the car, it seems possible they could fix it relatively quickly.

They seem to be as good as anyone in the slow corners when running low to the ground. If they can fix the porpoising for the higher speed sections of the tracks I don't think they'll be a million miles away. Ahead of the Ferrari anyway.
Max is the clear favourite just now though.

I feel like lap 1 on Sunday is going to be a bit of a mess. Bigger cars which are more difficult to drive and with lower visibility is going to make things interesting.

2 hours ago, charger29 said:

I don't think Mercedes are sandbagging but given their issues seem to come from (mainly) one area of the car, it seems possible they could fix it relatively quickly.

They seem to be as good as anyone in the slow corners when running low to the ground. If they can fix the porpoising for the higher speed sections of the tracks I don't think they'll be a million miles away. Ahead of the Ferrari anyway.
Max is the clear favourite just now though.

I feel like lap 1 on Sunday is going to be a bit of a mess. Bigger cars which are more difficult to drive and with lower visibility is going to make things interesting.

I agree here. If one team can wring more speed out of their car quickly it is Mercedes. By race 2 or 3 they could be back at the front. 

Genuinely excited about this season. 

Final call for this year's Fantasy F1 - no experience, knowledge or ability necessary!

Register your team at www.fantasygp.com and use the code 618914 to join the league. Feel free to pass the details on.

Just finished watching the latest season of drive to survive packed full of the usual entertainment from haas inc gunther steiner saying f**k a lot.
I’ve not watched the last race of the season since watching it live but dts reminded me of how ludicrous the last couple of laps were, altering rules solely to determine the outcome of the championship is absolutely insane. Max was a worthy champion especially after britain and hungary but it would have been better if he won it in a fair and square race.

Just finished off the new series of DTS . Forgot/missed a lot of the great stories that had been happening mid to low pack , that's what I love about DTS it really brings the whole sport to life.  Now to the final few episodes . ..

After having time to reflect and seeing it back for the first time in a few months I'm happy it ended like it did after Saudi where Max has to give the lead up after Hamilton driving into the back of him like a club racer when he was originally giving the place back.  Poor decision that would have made the last race controversy completely irrelevant. Toto Wolff complaining that Horner was a big cry baby all the way through while showing himself up to be .... A big salty cry baby is another highlight.

Just finished off the new series of DTS . Forgot/missed a lot of the great stories that had been happening mid to low pack , that's what I love about DTS it really brings the whole sport to life.  Now to the final few episodes . ..
After having time to reflect and seeing it back for the first time in a few months I'm happy it ended like it did after Saudi where Max has to give the lead up after Hamilton driving into the back of him like a club racer when he was originally giving the place back.  Poor decision that would have made the last race controversy completely irrelevant. Toto Wolff complaining that Horner was a big cry baby all the way through while showing himself up to be .... A big salty cry baby is another highlight.
The final episode literally has Wolff denouncing Red Bull as throwing their toys out of the pram hours before the most hilarious tantrum of all time by Mercedes[emoji23]

10 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

The final episode literally has Wolff denouncing Red Bull as throwing their toys out of the pram hours before the most hilarious tantrum of all time by Mercedesemoji23.png

I said a few seasons ago I think that he is an absolute manchild incapable of handling emotion.  I think I would update that now to say he's like an autistic child who's parents have told him that he's always right and everyone else is always wrong.