The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Yet more mewling from Hamilton's army of sycophants:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2022/feb/03/lewis-hamiltons-future-shrouded-in-doubt-as-new-f1-season-looms

crucial to that decision will surely be that the 37-year-old has confidence in an even-handed and transparent application of the rules. Hamilton and many of the sport’s fans, also disillusioned by the events in Abu Dhabi, demand a level playing field.

1432316645_giphy(3).gif.dec12cc8c6760a9f7421af9f53926531.gif

The biggest, entitled Dauphin figure in the history of the sport - who not once had to lug a Minardi or Jordan or similar banger around the place.

The lead driver for the most dominant team in the sport's history, based on a dung set of regulations that are now getting binned.

A team that has run with glorified bus driver ever since Hamilton's previous team mate had the temerity to compete with and beat him, fair and square. 

That Lewis Hamilton, demanding a level playing field now. 

Spoiler

1432316645_giphy(3).gif.dec12cc8c6760a9f7421af9f53926531.gif

5 hours ago, virginton said:

The lead driver for the most dominant team in the sport's history, based on a dung set of regulations that are now getting binned.

This really hasn't got through to the public yet. The new regs came in in 2014. Mercedes got a march on the rest of the field by the way they placed the compressor and turbo units. And, these regs limited development from the other teams. In short, the advantage Mercedes built in in 2014 remained. During a season, car development was restricted so that the dominant car at race 1 tended to go on and win the championship. Mercedes kept that advantage for a long while (though it has eroded a bit). 

With this developmental straightjacket, it took 8 years for another team to catch up. Were this 20 years ago, the development race would have erased this massive advantage much earlier. 

This is why the upcoming testing is so important. If Ferrari, say, show up with a car that is 1.5 seconds a lap faster than anyone else, they will probably be champions this year and next.

This is the bit where I point out that the one instance where Lewis Hamilton was given a genuinely uncompetitive car, he was beaten in the exact same machine by Jenson bloody Button. 

GOAT my arse. He'd be utterly ragdolled by both Schumi and Senna all other things being equal.

According to the Guardian, the teams have compromised in 3 sprint races this season. 

Liberty wanted 6 and wanted to pay the teams £100k per sprint race. Apparently one of the big teams (Merc, Red Bull or Ferrari) said they would agree only if the season budget cap was lifted by $5 million. So 3 is the current compromise with a discussion to be held on the 14th. 

Personally, I would agree on 0 sprint races as a compromise. The sprint ruined the Brazilian Grand Prix. 

22 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

According to the Guardian, the teams have compromised in 3 sprint races this season. 

Liberty wanted 6 and wanted to pay the teams £100k per sprint race. Apparently one of the big teams (Merc, Red Bull or Ferrari) said they would agree only if the season budget cap was lifted by $5 million. So 3 is the current compromise with a discussion to be held on the 14th. 

Personally, I would agree on 0 sprint races as a compromise. The sprint ruined the Brazilian Grand Prix. 

Imo the sprints added absolutely nothing last season , in fact I would probably go as far as to say it actually detracted from the race weekend experience.  Qualifying wasn't really qualifying and the sprint race wasn't really a race . Keep these gimmicky things for lower classes of racing . 

3 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Imo the sprints added absolutely nothing last season , in fact I would probably go as far as to say it actually detracted from the race weekend experience.  Qualifying wasn't really qualifying and the sprint race wasn't really a race . Keep these gimmicky things for lower classes of racing . 

I agree.

Take Brazil, my example. Had there been no sprint race, Hamilton would have started at the back. I reckon he still would have carved his way to the win, but seeing him go from 20th to 5th in 17 laps on the Saturday made the result something of a foregone conclusion. Everyone knew before the race started that he would make it to the front quickly. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Wow what a huge change, this will definitely mean cars can pass each other without DRS now.

I hope so. DRS has always seemed like an artificial construct. Going back to Brazil as an example, Hamilton passed car after car by making sure he was in the DRS zone at a specific corner. 

That said, pre-DRS a race could get quite boring. Fast car shows up behind slower car, gets within a second of them and then loses all their speed because of the aerodynamic turbulence. Is going back to the ground effect days of the 70s and 80s the way forward? No clue. 

Majority of downforce coming from ground effects which have a significantly lower drop off when following another car ( iirc something along the line of 5% and 15% at 20 and 10 metres as opposed to 20% and 50% reduction) along with lower profile tyres being able to be pushed much harder before overheating can only give a better chance for close racing.  Other factors might come in to play that stop us from seeing too much close racing for whatever reason but it will be easier than any time in the last 30-40 years for cars to get close to the car in front for a sustained period in the race.   

End result, Mercedes will still end up greetin any time someone comes near them anyway . 

8 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I hope so. DRS has always seemed like an artificial construct. Going back to Brazil as an example, Hamilton passed car after car by making sure he was in the DRS zone at a specific corner. 

That said, pre-DRS a race could get quite boring. Fast car shows up behind slower car, gets within a second of them and then loses all their speed because of the aerodynamic turbulence. Is going back to the ground effect days of the 70s and 80s the way forward? No clue. 

Of course it's artificial, but it was required. What do you think Hamilton would've done had the turbulent air not been as bad? He would've been closer through the corners and then been in a better position to slipstream earlier on the straight, probably with the same result as DRS.

Guys, DRS is still very much a part of the 2022 regs. Brawn's logic behind keeping it is that if the cars truly are able to follow much more closely and do not lose so much performance due to turbulence, then DRS can be phased out in short order. On the other hand, if it turns out these regs are absolute shite and the technical guys just abuse them in order to f**k with other cars in they way they have with every other set of regulations over the past 25 years, then DRS is still going to be required to prevent more or less every single race being a lights to flag procession.