The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

26 minutes ago, virginton said:

The change of direction principle specifically applies to a braking zone. A straight is not a braking zone. 

If Verstappen is moving from left to right then Saint Lewis could just move in a straight line and use both his superior momentum and engine power to close instead. That he couldn't execute a move because his tyres were duff is not someone else's fault. 

Actually it doesn’t or drivers wouldn’t get black and white flagged for weaving on straights, once in a braking zone you aren’t allowed to move at all to defend

25 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Hamilton was extremely lucky with the lap one incident in my view - it wasn't about crashing, he realised making the turn behind Verstappen left him with an acute angle to the apex (potentially vunerable to Perez then) and instead he straight lined the corner and floors it, gaining time and track position. Ridiculous decision by F1 not to investigate it for me, but it is the issue with these nonsense tarmac run off areas. At least install a Sochi like Chicane for cars rejoining from off track to slow them a bit.

tbh I think the only thing wrong with lap 1 was that Hamilton shot off into the distance - out of DRS range - right after the incident. Fine, use the run off to avoid a collision but you shouldn't be able to increase your lead.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

tbh I think the only thing wrong with lap 1 was that Hamilton shot off into the distance - out of DRS range - right after the incident. Fine, use the run off to avoid a collision but you shouldn't be able to increase your lead.

There's no DRS for 2 laps and he 'reduced the gap' to 1 second at the end of the lap. The issue for me was that it was a position gained as I think Verstappen got ahead legitimately, Hamilton stops turning left, turns right, drives across the run off and shoots off to a greater advantage.

A baffling call by the stewards and one that should have been punished. Hamilton's 'he pushed me off track' was rubbish talk to be honest- he knew making the turn put him at risk of being passed by Perez, held up for a few laps as Verstappen got down the road a bit.

I wonder if that is why Verstappen took the opportunity to pass at turn 5 on the final lap despite then having to defend 2 DRS zones.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

lol wut 

He could have tried braking and actually taking the corner - instead of taking the airfield-sized runoff area and just so managing to end 1.5 seconds in front again. He chose not to do so.

The amount of people I've seen claiming that Lewis was right to just take to the runoff and floor it as he was forcibly bundled off the track is unreal.  What he should have done is brake when he saw max coming in hot , take a nice wide line in and wave as he passes while max is offline with a much slower exit speed.  Like how racers would have to do it when faced with a gravel trap or barrier on the outside of a corner.  Far too easy for drivers now to just keep a move going far too deep into a corner knowing at the end they can just bail out if it doesn't go their way .

If the Lewis fanboys are going on about consistency then he should have been DQ'd for not completing the chicane just like Senna in '89 after being rammed by Prost . 

I've really enjoyed the Mercedes salty meltdown. 

I want Hamilton back and hungry again though. Verstappen is just so far ahead of the rest of the field that I worry for a bit of a whitewash if he's just left unchallenged. 

I'm not convinced Russell is a worthy replacement as a title contender. Could be wrong, but I think he'll get found out. He's no Lando or Sainz. 

12 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Mercedes showing some class by withdrawing the appeal.

While also having the team principal suggesting that their driver might have to retire as he is so heartbroken, and the team principal’s wife weighing in that she has been left sickened by the incident.

😂

Toto logging into Suzy's twitter for sure. 

Only thing that would top this is Mick Schumacher ramming him off at Silverstone next season. Lost points that cost him the title. 

On 16/12/2021 at 19:40, flyingscot said:

There's no DRS for 2 laps and he 'reduced the gap' to 1 second at the end of the lap. The issue for me was that it was a position gained as I think Verstappen got ahead legitimately, Hamilton stops turning left, turns right, drives across the run off and shoots off to a greater advantage.

A baffling call by the stewards and one that should have been punished. Hamilton's 'he pushed me off track' was rubbish talk to be honest- he knew making the turn put him at risk of being passed by Perez, held up for a few laps as Verstappen got down the road a bit.

I wonder if that is why Verstappen took the opportunity to pass at turn 5 on the final lap despite then having to defend 2 DRS zones.

Not that he'd know it on lap 1, but Hamilton clearly had enough pace to beat Verstappen all day long.

Watching him being "forced off" the track, flooring it before rejoining, and having the race director claim he'd given all advantage gained back by the end of lap 1 was utterly bemusing. He went from 2nd to over a second in front - he gave nothing back 😂

Edited by Todd_is_God

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/motor-racing/formula1/f1-hamilton-knighthood-eccelstone-title-b1978072.html

Sad to see Bernie has lost his edge in retirement. Hamilton doesn't deserve a knighthood , Toto deserves an Oscar for his last lap hysterics , Mercedes are bad losers , exactly the right thing happened in Abu Dhabi. Feel he's kinda sitting on the fence here 🤣