The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

6 hours ago, Thorongil said:

F1 hasn’t been any good since the days of Prost and Senna. That’s my view. 

And Lewis Hamilton is, and always has been, an arsehole. 

The funny thing here is that Senna , Lewis' absolute idol and person whose flag he is happy to adopt to ingratiate himself to all Senna's fans, would 100% have been the Max Verstappen character in this year's championship.

Not to mention the stuff that went on in the Prost/Senna title battles makes this year's 'farcical ending' seem like nothing more than a playground scuffle. 

Some of the reaction about this has been pure hyperbole and awful takes. If I see another 'it's like being so many goals up in football' tweet or analogy...

Safety cars are a ballache for leaders with big leads and that isn't the longest lead wiped out. Infact the shortness of the lead was part of the problem, Hamilton couldn't pit without losing track position to Verstappen.

I kind of feel for Masi slightly all in all. I understand bunching the cars can aid the marshals deal with an incident but for Latifi's accident it felt that it wasn't consistently needed. I wonder if you could, where appropriate, let lapped cars through as the incident is being cleared up.  A "lapped cars may overtake safety car and unlap themselves except turns 12-15 where the incident is" could have potentially sorted that earlier in safety car period and stop the needless SC laps whilst the field arranges. I realise FIA's focus is on clearing the incident but you theoretically can leave it to drivers and teams to work out if they were eligible to unlap.

The main issue in sorting this out is that, for once, Red Bull and Verstappen did nothing wrong.

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

The most cringeworthy thing I've ever seen.

Things being said are certainly getting more and more ludicrous as time goes by. That is up there with the worst of it.  

4 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Some of the reaction about this has been pure hyperbole and awful takes. If I see another 'it's like being so many goals up in football' tweet or analogy...

Safety cars are a ballache for leaders with big leads and that isn't the longest lead wiped out. Infact the shortness of the lead was part of the problem, Hamilton couldn't pit without losing track position to Verstappen.

I kind of feel for Masi slightly all in all. I understand bunching the cars can aid the marshals deal with an incident but for Latifi's accident it felt that it wasn't consistently needed. I wonder if you could, where appropriate, let lapped cars through as the incident is being cleared up.  A "lapped cars may overtake safety car and unlap themselves except turns 12-15 where the incident is" could have potentially sorted that earlier in safety car period and stop the needless SC laps whilst the field arranges. I realise FIA's focus is on clearing the incident but you theoretically can leave it to drivers and teams to work out if they were eligible to unlap.

The main issue in sorting this out is that, for once, Red Bull and Verstappen did nothing wrong.

At the risk of getting red dotted to f**k again 😂 

You are right RB and Verstappen did nothing wrong, they played the hand they were dealt to perfection the issue is Masi knowingly dealt them the aces they needed.

What I mean by that is the issue is Masi being inconsistent in his application of the sporting regulations. An example of which being last years Eiffel Grand Prix when Lando Norris crashed and a safety car was called for, drivers and teams complained about duration of the safety car, speeds, effects on the tyres etc etc.

Masi said at the time “There is a requirement in the Sporting Regulations to wave all lapped cars past” If that’s the case why wasn’t it applied on Sunday? For the simple fact it would have meant the race finishing under a safety car and that isn’t what he wanted to see but by not being consistent he has manufactured the outcome of the Drivers Championship. There is also nothing written in the regulations to suggest any one rule overrules another so essentially the FIA is marking their own homework which again seems quite unique to the sport.

Now it would unthinkable to overturn the decision as Max is a completely innocent party in this, he was presented with an opportunity and he took it like any other driver would have if they found themselves in the same position, however Masis position isn’t tenable after this. In every sport people just want a consistent application of the rules no matter if you agree with the rule or not, this doesn’t happen in F1 and it’s to it’s detriment.

Edited by Jinky67

15 hours ago, JamesP_81 said:

The funny thing here is that Senna , Lewis' absolute idol and person whose flag he is happy to adopt to ingratiate himself to all Senna's fans, would 100% have been the Max Verstappen character in this year's championship.

Not to mention the stuff that went on in the Prost/Senna title battles makes this year's 'farcical ending' seem like nothing more than a playground scuffle. 

There is an old Top Gear episode just before the launch of Senna where Clarkson does a segment on him ironically featuring Lewis Hamilton driving Sennas old McLaren MP4/4.

In this segment Martin Brundle talks about Senna and his tendency to lunge into corners saying that Senna would deliberately do this and make the person he was overtaking decide if they were going to crash or not and if that driver backed out he then had them and knew all he had to do in the future was show them a wheel up the inside and they would back off. Describes Max’s style perfectly imo.

Its a good segment and worth a watch

Edited by Jinky67

9 hours ago, Jinky67 said:

There is an old Top Gear episode just before the launch of Senna where Clarkson does a segment on him ironically featuring Lewis Hamilton driving Sennas old McLaren MP4/4.

In this segment Martin Brundle talks about Senna and his tendency to lunge into corners saying that Senna would deliberately do this and make the person he was overtaking decide if they were going to crash or not and if that driver backed out he then had them and knew all he had to do in the future was show them a wheel up the inside and they would back off. Describes Max’s style perfectly imo.

Its a good segment and worth a watch

Yup , seen it , may actually watch it again . Also worth a watch is the story of the (1984?) F3 season brundle Vs Senna , shows that brundle knows first hand what he's talking about after ending up with Senna's car on top of him at Snetterton's bombhole. 

In much of the Prost v Senna argument, people often overlook the rivalry Senna had with Mansell. The pair of them would go into a corner (like Verstappen) and would simply refuse to back down, assuming the other guy always would. Then they would crash into each other.

They came to fisticuffs once or twice also. 

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

A "lapped cars may overtake safety car and unlap themselves except turns 12-15 where the incident is" could have potentially sorted that earlier in safety car period and stop the needless SC laps whilst the field arranges. I realise FIA's focus is on clearing the incident but you theoretically can leave it to drivers and teams to work out if they were eligible to unlap.

There was a situation in Imola last year when cars were allowed to unlap themselves and they came across marshals still sweeping up Russell's crash, despite double waved yellows on two light panels prior to that section. Think it was Stroll who was too fast/close, Kimi was warned and slowed down. https://www.racefans.net/2020/11/10/an-f1-marshal-explains-why-strolls-imola-near-miss-raises-safety-concerns/

There was a situation in Imola last year when cars were allowed to unlap themselves and they came across marshals still sweeping up Russell's crash, despite double waved yellows on two light panels prior to that section. Think it was Stroll who was too fast/close, Kimi was warned and slowed down. https://www.racefans.net/2020/11/10/an-f1-marshal-explains-why-strolls-imola-near-miss-raises-safety-concerns/
The drivers who were allowed to unlap themselves at Imola included one L Hamilton

10 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

The drivers who were allowed to unlap themselves at Imola included one L Hamilton

That was 2021 and under the red flag not SC.