The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Its quite a balanced thread this. 

Probably something to do with the high proportion of Football fans on here who are generally reasonable people and can deal with a bit of controversy. 

Some of the patter online, twitter etc is just ridiculous. 

"cry more", "Lewis = GOAT" tyoe stuff is the calling card of wee VL's. 

Best radio from the race has to be Carlos getting a laugh out of his engineer by saying a smooth fucking operator :lol: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXkCpe3jB7A

1 hour ago, V.Aye.R said:

I think the problem F1 has to new fans is that its extremely technical and difficult to get into. Things arent quite cut and dry despite what is essentially VAR in action. 

Long time followers of the sport probably take their knowledge for granted on tyre undercuts, Safety cars etc. 

Not very helpful when Rent-a-quote F1 Experts for the day like Gary Lineker get involved and enable all these RNLI Lifeboat freedom fighters to cast their opinions on how it wisny fair 'cos the foreign guy won. 

With the late SC you've got different levels of understanding for fans. At the bottom you have those who can't get their head around the fact that a lead can be wiped out by a SC or red flag (like this tweet I saw), before you even start to get into cars unlapping themselves and the regulations.

And then when you make the mistake of checking the Twitter trends, you have other fans with poor memories saying "Charlie Whiting went almost unnoticed for over 20 years." (Mexico 2016 anyone?) and "Never saw a bad decision when Charlie Whiting was alive and running the #f1 races." (Japan 2014 etc) :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Maybe the lapped cars should’ve been dropped to the back of the pack instead. I mean, what’s the point in unlapping them with a lap to go? Also, in 25 years of watching the sport I’ve never seen a SC period ending as soon as the lapped cars have passed the leader.

To get them out of the way of interfering with the frontrunners (not sure why you mention watching F1 for 25 years, as the rule wasn't in place back then)

We've been frustrated in the past - with both Charlie and Masi - where the SC continues on for many laps more than necessary as the lapped cars drive around and catch the field back up. In this situation there was no need to wait, the lapped cars who passed were far enough around the lap.

Edited by Ginaro

1 hour ago, V.Aye.R said:

Looking forward to Sports Personality when they passively agressively give it to Lewis Hamilton. Cos that's the real Quiz. 

Not even nominated. 

Gabby Logan was on BBC breakfast today saying they had finalised the list, and it was late because they were waiting to see the outcome of the grand prix! In other words, had he won he would have been in. 

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Thinking about dramatic finales, this is probably second on the ones I have seen. My top 5 deciders since I started watching in ~1995

1. 2008. Hamilton vs Massa, Hamilton wins by overtaking Glock on the last lap of the last race. Massa crossed the line believing he had won it. 

2. 2021. Scenes. 

3. 2007. Billed as Alonso (going for his 3rd) vs Hamilton (going for his 1st). In the end Raikkonen won the race to beat both Alonso and Hamilton by a single point.  A year of controversy (spygate) and bitterness within McLaren, ended with them winning nowt.

4. 1997. Villeneuve vs Schumacher. The most blatant attempt to win the title by running into someone there has been. It didn't work. Schumacher damaged his own car and retired, Villeneuve limped home in 3rd to take the title. Schumacher was retrospectively excluded from the standings and so, officially, the runner up that year was Heinz-Harald Frentzen.

5. 2012 Vettel vs Alonso. Vettel  started the race badly and ended up at the back. Recovered well...and had a slow pit stop. Had to recover again and did just enough to beat Alonso by just 3 points.

2010 is probably the best title race ever. Four drivers could win it on the last day iirc and Vettel won despite not leading the championship until the last race had ended. A lot of people saying that 2021 is the best title fight ever really must have short memories.

Edited by Mr. Brightside

3 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

I've watched enough Indy Cars/Endurance racing to know finishing under yellow sucks and that we would all prefer to finish under green.

If Masi had just restarted the lap with the lapped car in between Max & Lewis then we would have still got the finish under green, I also believe we would have seen a pass for the championship on the last corner.  However what we got was a scenario where the rules were applied in a manner never seen before (trying to recall when they only let a few lapped cars unlap themselves and nothing comes to mind)

Why was it ok for the lapped cars to be cleared from between Max and Lewis, but not Sainz and Max.  Sainz then never had a shot at 2nd place and instead had to contend with trying to get past Stroll and Danny Ric all the while trying to defend from a hard charging Tsunoda (who had a pretty good race tbf). 

it all smacked of creating an ending which was best for entertainment value, rather than applying the rules and regs correctly.

I agree with all of this.

I hadn't seen people on twitter complaining about the lead Hamilton had being cancelled out by the safety car and I have no idea why anyone here is paying that any attention. It's obviously meaningless.

I also I don't really care about Mercedes crying endlessly because it was fairly clear from Hamilton's actions after the race that he was happy... well, that he accepted what was happened and was fine to congratulate the Verstappens. It's probably easy to be magnanimous about losing a championship in these circumstances when you've already won seven but if any goons complaining about what happened - whether they were watching a race for the first time or not - had any sense they'd follow his example.

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

2010 is probably the best title race ever. Four drivers could win it on the last day iirc and Vettel won despite not leading the championship until the last race had ended. A lot of people saying that 2021 is the best title fight ever really must have short memories.

It was a fantastic season. I didn't include it in my title deciders though as the race itself was a bit dull - Vettel just led from start to finish.

Apparently he wasn’t so magnanimous during the final lap

I wouldn't be too harsh over a comment over the radio in the heat of the moment tbh. He was magnanimous enough ince out of the car.

That Guardian article, however, is the biggest load of ill informed bilge I have ever read in my life.

Mercedes are acuity team
Hamilton is a c**t that has never driven with anything other than advantages
f**k Formula 1 if they kowtow to the cuntiest c***s ever.
Even Mike (the *** that’s no fun) Schumacher drove “weaker” cars, Lewis is a spoiled toddler used to getting everything his own way.

35 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Mercedes are acuity team
Even Mike (the *** that’s no fun) Schumacher drove “weaker” cars, Lewis is a spoiled toddler used to getting everything his own way.

What language is this mate? Just so I can select the correct one in Google Translate 

57 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

Mercedes are acuity team

He has had weaker cars, tbf. There were a couple of years with McLaren and the first with Mercedes where the car was well short of the front runners. He still won races in every single season. 

The hilarious bit about that is the assertion that Verstappen drives like a c**t and only gets away with it because he's white, totally overlooking the year Hamilton punted Massa off every single time Massa attempted a pass and never got penalised for it once.

They're all prepared to get their elbows out and drive like wankers when it's absolutely necessary. It's not like Hamilton is the exception. He was happy to run his own fucking team mate off the track to prevent Rosberg getting the better of him.  I still think he was entirely in the wrong in Silverstone, and I think had he done what he did to Max in a different era he'd have had an utterly incensed opponent marching down the pitlane looking to rip his fucking head off a la Schumi in Belgium, and quite likely have been punished at any venue other than his home race.

This is a bit like when the Old Firm fans moan that officiating is biased against them despite having 50+ major trophies. Hamilton, 7 time World Champion, victimised and never given a fair shake because of his race. Fucking bonkers.

Edited by Boo Khaki