The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

11 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

wut. Hamilton was moving inside the car and even trying to reverse it out of the gravel (while Verstappen was still getting out of his car, as well).

Aye, I did have personal concern for Hamilton when it took so long for him to get out, but when it turns out he was trying to get racing f**k him.

I think Max had an idea that was going on, I think that was an element why he walked behind Hamilton’s car initially.

Surprised by the decision to put the fault on Verstappen but I think it is the right call. He was clearly behind going into the corner and was relying on Hamilton giving him room to pass.

Now if they could retroactively change all the horrible decisions from the last couple of years and stop guys going for passes when there is no room off the racing line.

It’s frustrating that things like this can’t be called a racing incident any more and someone has to be penalised. I think both drivers were at fault, Lewis for not giving enough space and Max for not taking avoiding action like Lewis did on lap 1. We should just be glad that the halo did it’s job and there were no serious injuries.

Edited by IainMorton

It’s frustrating that things like this can’t be called a racing incident any more and someone has to be penalised. I think both drivers were at fault, Lewis for not giving enough space and Max for not taking avoiding action like Lewis did on lap 1. We should just be glad that the halo did it’s job and there were no serious injuries.

Thats life in general, no such thing as an accident anymore. Has to be someone to blame/someone’s fault

12 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Why did Hamilton go so far across when he came out of the pits?

Because he'd never make the corner if he came straight at it, and there was plenty space for him to do it. Bizarre point from you here.

I don't like the penalty, it should be a racing incident under the current rules. I also don't like the current regs, though. If a driver goes in to a corner ahead then they should have the right to the apex, IMO. At no point was Max ahead (to use Mr Horner's established argument, although I'm sure he'll have seen this one differently), and so he should have backed out of it.

31 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Because he'd never make the corner if he came straight at it, and there was plenty space for him to do it. Bizarre point from you here.

I don't like the penalty, it should be a racing incident under the current rules. I also don't like the current regs, though. If a driver goes in to a corner ahead then they should have the right to the apex, IMO. At no point was Max ahead (to use Mr Horner's established argument, although I'm sure he'll have seen this one differently), and so he should have backed out of it.

He’s coming out of the pit lane and moves straight across in front of Verstappen. Fair enough, he wouldn’t have made the corner on the line he was on, but Max had to take evasive action in order not to run into the back of him.

Now it may well be that the stewards decided Max should have expected this and backed off earlier, but it was a really borderline move from Lewis.

When you look closer at the video you can also see one of the marshals waving a blue flag, presumably a warning to one of them that there is a faster car on track?

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

He’s coming out of the pit lane and moves straight across in front of Verstappen. Fair enough, he wouldn’t have made the corner on the line he was on, but Max had to take evasive action in order not to run into the back of him.

Now it may well be that the stewards decided Max should have expected this and backed off earlier, but it was a really borderline move from Lewis.

When you look closer at the video you can also see one of the marshals waving a blue flag, presumably a warning to one of them that there is a faster car on track?

Lewis is allowed to make a move to defend the corner, there is nothing even remotely borderline about what he does coming out of the pits. It's a genuinely bizarre argument that you are running with here.

Blue flags are shown to cars exiting the pits that a car is approaching, so at least you've got that bit right.

I'm not bothered with the penalty for Max. 

Thought Lewis deserved the penalty for Silverstone and this one Max was more at fault, although I felt this was a racing incident. 

I kind of agreed with Massa's comments on the incident. Lewis should probably have shut the door earlier and run Max wider, similar to Lap 1. Leaving the half a space was risking this happening. 

Was always going to be a good track for McLaren anyway but their pace was so good they might have taken the win even without the crash, especially with the pit mistakes from RB and Merc. 

13 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Surprised by the decision to put the fault on Verstappen but I think it is the right call. He was clearly behind going into the corner and was relying on Hamilton giving him room to pass.

Now if they could retroactively change all the horrible decisions from the last couple of years and stop guys going for passes when there is no room off the racing line.

Nope.

1219338247_tTe94mI(1).gif.1456e58c8fc6717ceb794388dbc30a98.gif

15 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I'm all for crashing into each other but no fucking whining when the guy in front runs you off the road.

For instance the stewards should have told Vettel to gtf when his wheel touched Stroll's (?)

What are you on about? It was Ocon who just wandered over to the side of the track that Vettel was occupying, what is Vettel meant to do?
Stroll pushed Vettel wide at the Lesmos on lap 1 I think, which was just weird as he lost 3-4 places because of it.

Edited by Mr. Brightside