The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Going back to Bottas, his 9 wins in 5 years looks poor. The best comparison is probably Rubens Barrichello who was Schumacher's number 2...and he won 9 races from 2000 to 2004. Schumacher won 48. Very similar numbers. Perhaps I'm judging him a bit harshly.

Good news for Russell (assuming he doesn't end up like Gasly/Albon did at red Bull) and Albon. He was thrown in at the deep end at RB.  

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Going back to Bottas, his 9 wins in 5 years looks poor. The best comparison is probably Rubens Barrichello who was Schumacher's number 2...and he won 9 races from 2000 to 2004. Schumacher won 48. Very similar numbers. Perhaps I'm judging him a bit harshly.

Good news for Russell (assuming he doesn't end up like Gasly/Albon did at red Bull) and Albon. He was thrown in at the deep end at RB.  

Was there not a race in Hungary where Barrichello moved over on the finish line to let Schumacher win, even though he was already cruising the championship? Also the infamous one where they tried to engineer a dead heat on the line (Indy?), but Rubens was 0.001s ahead or something.

Was there not a race in Hungary where Barrichello moved over on the finish line to let Schumacher win, even though he was already cruising the championship? Also the infamous one where they tried to engineer a dead heat on the line (Indy?), but Rubens was 0.001s ahead or something.
It was Austria in 2002. Like you say, Schumacher was already miles ahead in the Championship. It was an absolute farce, and led to the equally farcical ban on team orders.

9 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Austria 2002. It was controversial because it was so early in the season, so blatant at the finish line (down to Barrichello being mad at it) and Ferrari were so dominant anyway (Schumacher had won all but 1 race anyway) there was no need. Schumi then 'returned the favour' at Indianapolis. 

They had already done team orders the previous year to Barrichello at Austria too but more justified in that case. 

Barrichello was the perfect teammate for Schumacher. Fast and really good at development but he never really was going to get a fair crack at Schumacher.  

10 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Yes, the 2002 Austrian Grand Prix. In return, when Schumacher had the titles wrapped up he would switch to helping Barrichello win races. Schumacher moved aside for Barrichello in Hungary and Italy, and tried to engineer the dead heat in the US in 2002. He could have taken those three wins for himself.

I see they're still talking shite about "sprint qualifying" saying the reaction was positive. Not sure I'm willing to believe that tbh as it was utterly pointless. As will sprint races (if that's the direction the go) if they don't mess around with the grid in some form.
IMO if they're gonna have sprint races they should make them reverse championship order, it would be entertaining as f**k. Make the race win worth 10 or points and still have qualifying, either from FP2 or just normal quali.

12 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Where's the "What's the most tinpot thing you've seen in Formula 1" thread to put those medals in? f**k me.

The sprint races can get in the fucking bin. I can just about see the point if it was a circuit where people can overtake, but it's utterly pointless at a track like Monza.