The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

46 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Another one that needs a good look at themselves is Perez.

It's becoming a pattern. Gasly and Albon both struggled in the number 2 seat at Red Bull as well. There comes a point when you have to ask whether it is a deeper issue. Either Verstappen is miles ahead as a driver or team or car is designed to suit Verstappen. 

25 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

It's becoming a pattern. Gasly and Albon both struggled in the number 2 seat at Red Bull as well. There comes a point when you have to ask whether it is a deeper issue. Either Verstappen is miles ahead as a driver or team or car is designed to suit Verstappen. 

Verstappen and Hamilton have built a team around themselves to suit them and with good reason the teams hierarchy have allowed it 

Ps I always remember Schuey saying our real pace is what Eddie Irvine is doing in his dominant years

Edited by doulikefish

5 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

9 race wins from 5 seasons in one of the most dominant F1 cars of all time is a pretty poor return. He was lucky not to have been sacked after his clownshoes performance at Turkey last season.

That does look pretty poor, but it is slighty unfair to judge him purely on race wins in that time, when he was the clear number 2 driver at the team, and number 1 won 46. It would be difficult to quantify, but, until recently, he always seemed pretty decent at backing up/slowing down anyone who might have threatened Hamilton's chance of winning/maximising points, and you could argue that was actually the job Merc needed him to do.

That's not to say he shouldn't have maybe performed better, but to say "he should have had more wins in that car" is a little simplistic when you think who was in the other "most dominant" car.

7 hours ago, IainMorton said:

9 wins for Bottas during five years in the fastest car, whereas Hamilton has had at least 9 wins per season since 2014. But yet some still say it’s only because of the car.

That says more about Bottas tbh. I'm actually surprised it's as many as 9. He's shite. He won't get a podium ever again.

Obviously Hamilton's success is not only about the car, however being in a far superior machine for a considerable chunk of his F1 career has probably contributed considerably to his World Title hall imo. 

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I thought Tsunoda might have been on shaky ground for 2022, but RB must still see something in him.

Gasly is clearly far too good for that team now. I'm assuming he is just biding his time at AT until a seat opens up somewhere else

Japanese sponsorship to keep people who worked at Honda around?

Anyway F1's least surprising news. 

15 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

That does look pretty poor, but it is slighty unfair to judge him purely on race wins in that time, when he was the clear number 2 driver at the team, and number 1 won 46. It would be difficult to quantify, but, until recently, he always seemed pretty decent at backing up/slowing down anyone who might have threatened Hamilton's chance of winning/maximising points, and you could argue that was actually the job Merc needed him to do.

That's not to say he shouldn't have maybe performed better, but to say "he should have had more wins in that car" is a little simplistic when you think who was in the other "most dominant" car.

Yep, as previously said Perez (and previous RB no. 2s) have shown how useless you can be in the rear-gunner/tactical role. Bottas failed to take a significant number of chances but has given Mercedes a reliable option to split their strategies. 

If RB can't get their second driver beyond Bottas then I think they'll end up losing both championships because of it. 

Things are about to get interesting at Mercedes. I will not be at all surprised if George has the pace to match Hamilton pretty much from the off. While that's great for the sport, it could be expensive for Mercedes in the drivers' championship with Red Bull having a sole focus on Max. Very interesting times ahead.

43 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Things are about to get interesting at Mercedes. I will not be at all surprised if George has the pace to match Hamilton pretty much from the off. While that's great for the sport, it could be expensive for Mercedes in the drivers' championship with Red Bull having a sole focus on Max. Very interesting times ahead.

Much depends on the new cars though. Will Mercedes get that right from day 1? Does there huge advantage disappear to an extent?

Not going to happen but I’d love to see how Norris would do in the second Red Bull.

I’m still not convinced by Russell. He’s clearly a very quick driver but I’m not sure he’s got the mentality to be a championship contender in F1. Hope he proves me wrong.