The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

2 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Hamilton is the luckiest c**t on earth.

I don't understand this.

He avoided the crash on the first corner because he was fastest in qualifying and then got off the start well. That's not luck. They made the wrong call on tyres and he had to fight his way from the back. That wasn't luck either. It wasn't luck that Mercedes undercut Verstappen and Ricciardo, or that Alonso locked up to give him the chance to pass.

He grew up working class and is racing against guys that were brought up by billionaires. Lance Stroll is luckier. Wouldn't you say Hamilton and his family have earned what they've got?

I always thought that rule only came into effect in qualifying. I remember Hamilton taking pole once (Barcelona  2012?) but running out of fuel on the slow down lap, then being disqualified and starting the race at the back.

The fueling rules seem to change every couple of years.
I think Hamilton & Alonso's issues in 2007 might have been started by the refueling rules. The cars had their race fuel pumped in pre-qualifying at that point. Hamilton and his engineers decided to go against the team agreement of allowing Alonso to leave the pits first in quali so he could burn more fuel. A few minutes later Alonso goes for a snooze in the pits whilst they're both queuing for tyres and the rest is history...

20 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Vettel called to the stewards for his “rainbow” tshirt pre race.

The Sky interview where Lazenby talks to Vettel about this is cringeworthy. Vettel asks his option and Lazenby gets tongue twisted and says he's not a steward. At least Rosberg took the question and said it was ridiculous. 

This season is reminding me a little of 2008. Felipe Massa should have won that title but he had the most atrocious luck, especially at pitstops. Couldn't refuel in Canada, so lost time. Engine blew with 3 laps to go at Hungary. Was sent back on track after his pit stop with the hose still attached to his car, and had to retire, in Singapore. Considering he lost the title by a single point, any one of these could have swung it his way. The Ferrari was clearly the better car. 

Looking similar this year. The Red Bull has the edge in race trim, but luck has been against Verstappen in the last couple of races.

20 hours ago, Snafu said:

Yes he does, otherwise there would be no point in having drivers.

You think Hamilton got into F1 with his own money?

I always thought he was part of the McLaren young driver program that invested in young talent, so his background made no difference once he was on the program.

Karting is expensive so his family would have had to have money to pay for all this.

It was a big deal when he got into F1 initially, that his dad worked 2 jobs to pay for it.

I'm not a Hamilton fan, at all, but he didn't have the luxuries of Stroll/Mazepin/Norris/Latifi and yes, Verstappen (who I go off more every race)

He did get picked up by McLaren in karting if I remember, but they're not going down the local track and picking up whoever wins a heat, you're having to consistently one of the top in the country. Wasn't it at the Autosport awards when he was getting an award or something that he met Ron Dennis?

I think I remember from beyond the grid, that Ocon's dad owned a garage or something? So didn't have the initial backing either.

Also, as much of a haddie as Bottas is.....what a race he gave us!

12 hours ago, GordonS said:

I wouldn't have thought it was possible, but it turns out the Hamilton haters are even bigger dicks than the Hamilton fanboys.

His haters are a bit like the Raheem Sterling haters. They won't say out loud exactly why they hate him, but point to stuff like him living in Monaco (like virtually all the drivers do) and avoiding tax. Especially the haters who post in the Daily Heil. 

The trouble with the fanboys/haters being so polarised is that when someone makes a legitimate criticism of Hamilton for something he did on track, there is the suspicion that it is being done for another reason. 

For my money, Sunday was one of his best drives. Two things cost him the win - the braindead call by the team not to bring him in for tyres at the start, and Fernando Alonso giving a defensive masterclass.

I think Hamilton was in a lose/lose situation at the end of the formation lap on Sunday as, due to the Mercedes garage being the first in the pit lane, he would have had to let everyone else past to avoid an unsafe release so would have been down the field anyway.

Edited by IainMorton

On 03/08/2021 at 10:41, scottsdad said:

For my money, Sunday was one of his best drives. Two things cost him the win - the braindead call by the team not to bring him in for tyres at the start, and Fernando Alonso giving a defensive masterclass.

The biggest blunders were Mercedes gormlessly keeping him in the pack until lap 20, instead of putting on fresh tyres sooner. Then chucking on hards when they weren't needed and wouldn't last the race in traffic. They could have undercut better with a more coherent strategy, cleared Alonso that way and would have been favourites to win the race. 

I wasn't massively impressed by Hamilton's performance as the car was literally about 1-1.5 seconds a lap faster than all the jobber outfits left in the race; 3 seconds plus on fresh tyres. The 'difficulty of overtaking' is always overrated at Hungary to a ridiculous degree, just because the near automatic overtake button of some other tracks during the summer doesn't work as well. The entire first sector produces chances for overtaking and incidents every year. 

Edited by vikingTON

7 hours ago, IainMorton said:

I think Hamilton was in a lose/lose situation at the end of the formation lap on Sunday as, due to the Mercedes garage being the first in the pit lane, he would have had to let everyone else past to avoid an unsafe release so would have been down the field anyway.

I think had he pitted he would undoubtedly have to have been held by the team to allow the rest of the field past, but that works both ways as the remainder of the field would also have been held in order to allow him past once his stop was complete.

Highly unlikely he emerges still in first, but there's no way he'd have come out of the pits dead last. It's yet another in a litany of blindingly obvious tactical decisions that Hamilton should have taken for himself, but for some reason he defers to the team. You don't need to be in full possession of all the bells and whistles available to the guys in the paddock to implicitly understand what to do in a straightforward yes/no situation, which is why Hamilton's habit of whining at the team when he has dropped the ball himself puts so many people right off.

The restart was all on Hamilton, the team can't tell him to box on the formation lap, so he had to make that decision himself. Every other driver made the right call, he should have too.

They can tell him. That rule is only for the start of the race.
Ocon was clearly told on the radio to pit and faced no punishment.

https://streamable.com/3aa0z2