The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Chuffed for Ocon and Renault, chuffed for Vettel, chuffed for Williams.

That was a great race despite the difficulty of passing.

I don't really understand the hatred for Hamilton - he's not likeable but he's hardly Judas Iscariot. His driving today was excellent. 

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

Alonso absolutely brilliant for 15 laps there, won Ocon the race. Hamilton throwing away what should have been a runaway win 8)

Did he throw it away or did the team?

I'll always be grateful to them for giving us the absurd and unique sight of one car starting under the lights. 

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

I'll always be grateful to them for giving us the absurd and unique sight of one car starting under the lights. 

Hamilton’s call to stay out. Team can’t tell him to put during formation lap.

10 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Agreed but if ocon holds on Alonso has helped win the race for him by holding up Hamilton

He only held Hamilton up for about 4,5, maybe 6 laps, until he locked up in turn 1. Ocon did that job on Vettel for almost 70 laps.

I know it's not quite the same as the Merc is quicker than the Aston Martin, but still, Alonso arguably should have held Hamilton off even longer. He could have given Sainz a podium.

Just now, parsforlife said:

Hamilton’s call to stay out. Team can’t tell him to put during formation lap.

What was the communication before he went out though? Hamilton can't see the track from the pit lane but the team can. He also didn't have the benefit of seeing cars in front coming in. If he'd come in and everyone else had stayed out he would have started in 17th.

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

What was the communication before he went out though? Hamilton can't see the track from the pit lane but the team can. He also didn't have the benefit of seeing cars in front coming in. If he'd come in and everyone else had stayed out he would have started in 17th.

He can see the track when he’s driven round it on formation.  He’s blamed the team of course.  Agree It is a more difficult call for him than the rest of the field tho.

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Vettel with the rainbow stripes on the helmet and now wearing a rainbow mask, in Hungary.

Nice

He turned up like this . 

image.png

Top man.

Edited by parsforlife

16 minutes ago, GordonS said:

He only held Hamilton up for about 4,5, maybe 6 laps, until he locked up in turn 1. Ocon did that job on Vettel for almost 70 laps.

I know it's not quite the same as the Merc is quicker than the Aston Martin, but still, Alonso arguably should have held Hamilton off even longer. He could have given Sainz a podium.

Absolute nonsense to watch that race and compare Ocon holding off Vettel to Alonso holding off Hamilton

Mercedes would be lapping Alpine in normal circumstances at this track, and Hamilton was on new mediums. Vettel was probably in a faster car and would have got away if he'd got past, but the circumstances are nothing alike at all

35 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Well that's the big question really. Hamilton's entire career is full on instances where he has deferred strategy to the team, it's cost him, and he's spent the entire race whining down the radio at them. Begs the question why he isn't taking the decisions for himself.