The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

British Grand Prix - Wikipedia (this links to venues)

It alternated yearly between Silverstone and Brands Hatch from 1963-1986. Brands Hatch is shite, although it would be fun seeing these cars on a track with its elevation changes. Donnington held the 1993 European Grand Prix where Senna did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pktF3wJKfxo (I'd embed but can't, but trust me, it's worth watching)

The trophy for that race was Sonic the Hedgehog:

GPD on Twitter: "11th April 1993. European Grand Prix. Donington. Before  being given the real trophy, Senna was presented with this Sonic the  Hedgehog one..… https://t.co/DtaZnzGQ3J"

39 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

It alternated yearly between Silverstone and Brands Hatch from 1963-1986. Brands Hatch is shite, although it would be fun seeing these cars on a track with its elevation changes. Donnington held the 1993 European Grand Prix where Senna did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pktF3wJKfxo (I'd embed but can't, but trust me, it's worth watching)

I’d forgotten about Damon Hill driving car number zero.

I enjoyed it at the time as I was a big fan of Dick Dastardly as a child and double zero was his car number in Wacky Races.

Edited by Funky Nosejob

Hamilton deserved his penalty.  He didn't do it deliberately but Verstappen left him room and Lewis cocked it up.  

Lewis Hamilton is the Raheem Sterling of F1, I have massive respect for what he does off the track, but his driving and attitude on the track piss me off

It's not really a penalty though, he literally took his opponent out and got a slap on the wrist and +25 points in the drivers championship. Hope the Dutch lads egg his car in a couple races time.

17 hours ago, IainMorton said:

5422377A-9F0D-451E-817E-38F2A6B27547.jpeg

In fairness to Hamilton he didn't know Verstappen had been taken to hospital until after the podium, when he was told by someone doing an interview. Not that I think it would have made much difference to his celebration, if any, if he'd known Verstappen's condition.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

In fairness to Hamilton he didn't know Verstappen had been taken to hospital until after the podium, when he was told by someone doing an interview. Not that I think it would have made much difference to his celebration, if any, if he'd known Verstappen's condition.

Think he would have come out with more sanctimonious pish for the cameras

On 18/07/2021 at 18:02, Newbornbairn said:

Ironically, Hamilton got the same penalty as the guy that crossed the pit lane white line in a previous race.

No, Tsunoda got a 5 second penalty for each time he did it - twice (tbh if you don't learn after the first one the penalty should really be increased). 

On 18/07/2021 at 19:00, The Golden God said:

Random question to ask at this time but has their ever been a British GP not at Silverstone or not in England? Can’t think of anywhere it could be in Scotland but surely they could do something better than the shite like Abu Dhabi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Grand_Prix#Venues

Venue (in chronological order) Years
Brooklands 1926–1927
Silverstone 1948–1954
Aintree and Silverstone 1955–1960 (alternating yearly)
Aintree 1961–1962
Silverstone and Brands Hatch 1963–1986 (alternating yearly)
Silverstone 1987–present (contracted until 2024)

After I saw that video above posted elsewhere yesterday, I went searching and found this one where Verstappen comes directly towards the fan :o (can't embed on here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPpwnVCPmL8

Edited by Ginaro

One thing about those videos - just how shit the cars sound. Is the audio "boosted" on the official feed?

One of many problems with f1, doesn’t look like we’ll ever get back to anything like the v8/10/12 noise which was one of the reasons f1 was so iconic

Hamilton didn't aim at Verstappen, he didn't mean to take him out. His line wasn't bad enough to be described as reckless. If Verstappen opens his hands a little or turns in a metre later the contact never happens. I've seen Hamilton, and many others, push those on the outside a lot wider than that plenty of time.
They were both being aggressive with each other for half a lap. I don't think Hamilton's driving at that corner was much worse than Verstappen's weave across to push Hamilton towards the wall.
I'm not saying Hamilton shouldn't have had a penalty, I'm saying that the hyperbole from those who already hate him makes it sound like he went at Verstappen with a claw hammer.
This is how i saw it, and seems to be the consensus of the pundits.

Red bull not doing themselves favours by shrieking about it.
The Horner seethe and the Sky pundits mental gymnastics to prove Hamilton innocent are more entertaining that the race. 
I get that the presenters want Hamilton to win but there are plenty of ex-drivers there who couldn't give a f**k. They presumably call it like they see it, and none of them are saying what red bull are.

On 19/07/2021 at 14:29, Newbornbairn said:

Think he would have come out with more sanctimonious pish for the cameras

"Oh gosh, jee, i hope he is ok, my thoughts are with him for a speedy recovery. you know racing like we do is so dangerous and these awful  things sometimes happen but i'm just so grateful to god that he is ok. he's a tough competitor. i'd like to thank his team and everyone who made it possible etc"

I had a boss who behaved like Hamilton does, all nicey nice full of false words when people are looking and an utterly false c**t when they aren't.

Edited by red23

It's been pointed out that the damage Hamilton's car took could have led to a retiral or at least a pit stop, but they were able to repair the car under the red flag. 

37 minutes ago, red23 said:

"Oh gosh, jee, i hope he is ok, my thoughts are with him for a speedy recovery. you know racing like we do is so dangerous and these awful  things sometimes happen but i'm just so grateful to god that he is ok. he's a tough competitor. i'd like to thank his team and everyone who made it possible etc"

I had a boss who behaved like Hamilton does, all nicey nice full of false words when people are looking and an utterly false c**t when they aren't.

I never had anything against Hamilton, just thought he was another talented driver until the cameras caught him off-guard in the room below the podium after a race. He was obviously pissed off with something and was giving the other two drivers death stares and rebuffing them until he spotted the camera. You saw the thoughts going through his head for a moment then suddenly the smile snapped on and he was going round patting the other drivers on the back and saying "Great drive, good race" and so on.  Faker than a fake thing. I've no problem with drivers being c***s, maybe if Coulthard had been more of a c**t he'd have won more races. 

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

I've no problem with drivers being c***s, maybe if Coulthard had been more of a c**t he'd have won more races. 

My favourite Coulthard moment was when Schumacher squared up to him in the garage and Coulthard was taking zero steps back. He's a big lad, I'd like to have seen how that went if folk hadn't been holding Schumacher back.

I agree, a bit more devilment, a bit less accepting of Mika's position, and he might have been a world champion. But he didn't believe he was one of the top guys.