The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

9 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Nothing wrong with wanting the British drivers to do well :) 

Always enjoy seeing the British drivers do well. The ones from the Isle of Man, not so much. 

Edit - Just watched the highlights from qualifying there and it’s good to see Norris doing as well as he did, he comes across very well and seems like a nice guy. As someone who doesn’t follow F1 as closely as most on here, it seems like Britain have two genuine prospects in Lando and George Russell. Is that something that is likely to come to fruition, Norris and Russell battling it out at the front of the grid in years to come once Hamilton retires? I know Russell is destined for Mercedes but is it a possibility that Norris gets a seat in a car capable of winning the championship?

Understand politics/money plays a big part when it comes to where the drivers end up but if Norris continues on his current trajectory surely there’s a seat there for him somewhere? I heard one of the Sky pundits saying last weekend that’s he’s the only driver on the grid to improve his position from qualifying at every race this season, and is vastly outperforming his more experienced teammate in Ricciardo. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

4 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Always enjoy seeing the British drivers do well. The ones from the Isle of Man, not so much. 

Edit - Just watched the highlights from qualifying there and it’s good to see Norris doing as well as he did, he comes across very well and seems like a nice guy. As someone who doesn’t follow F1 as closely as most on here, it seems like Britain have two genuine prospects in Lando and George Russell. Is that something that is likely to come to fruition, Norris and Russell battling it out at the front of the grid in years to come once Hamilton retires? I know Russell is destined for Mercedes but is it a possibility that Norris gets a seat in a car capable of winning the championship?

Understand politics/money plays a big part when it comes to where the drivers end up but if Norris continues on his current trajectory surely there’s a seat there for him somewhere? I heard one of the Sky pundits saying last weekend that’s he’s the only driver on the grid to improve his position from qualifying at every race this season, and is vastly outperforming his more experienced teammate in Ricciardo. 

Norris signed a contract extension with McLaren last month. Given the progress they've both made in the time he's been there there's no reason to think that won't continue, especially with new regulations coming in next year. 

Also Ricciardo's a bit rubbish and has been for a while.

1 minute ago, Buzz Killington said:

Remember the good old days when the best young British driver in F1 was Joylon Palmer. 

I wonder what ever happened to him?

Tune in to five live to find out 

8 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Norris signed a contract extension with McLaren last month. Given the progress they've both made in the time he's been there there's no reason to think that won't continue, especially with new regulations coming in next year. 

Also Ricciardo's a bit rubbish and has been for a while.

Aye Ricciardo does seem to have went nowhere over the past few years. 

Is there a reason Brits tend to get F1 seats over other nationalities, for as long as I can remember there has always been 3 or 4 Britons on the grid going back to when I first started taking an interest, which was around the time of Coulthard/Hakkinen/Schumacher. I know the majority of the teams base themselves in the south of England, but the only country I can recall having similar representation is Germany, and to a lesser degree Brazil. 

I was on a contract last year involved in the maintenance of Scotrail trains and the guy running the job had ordered about 300 excess bottles of Loctite thread locker, which sells for about £20 a bottle. One of the guys on the job was sticking them up on EBay at 3 bottles for £30 and he noticed the address of one of the buyers was in Silverstone. It turned out to be the Racing Point F1 team :lol: 

4 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Riccardo reminds me a bit of alonso, extremely talented and on his day one of the best but seems to make really bad career decisions

Aye, I can see that, the only difference is that no team mate has destroyed Alonso the way that Ricciardo has been destroyed this season by Lando Norris. I must say that Norris gets more impressive by the race. What talents him and George Russell are.

ETA: I do worry about George Russell in the sense that he does not appear to be a very lucky driver - most of the best drivers have also been lucky so-and-sos as well. It might mean nothing, I am old enough to remember how long it took Mika Hakkinen to win a race for example, and it may sound stupidly trivial, but I felt it was worth mentioning. Hopefully his career is more Mika Hakkinen than Jean Alesi.

Edited by Sarto Mutiny

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Is there a reason Brits tend to get F1 seats over other nationalities, for as long as I can remember there has always been 3 or 4 Britons on the grid going back to when I first started taking an interest, which was around the time of Coulthard/Hakkinen/Schumacher. I know the majority of the teams base themselves in the south of England, but the only country I can recall having similar representation is Germany, and to a lesser degree Brazil. 

For the usual reasons of a bigger pool of drivers in feeders series - first world country with motorsport heritage, good grassroots ladder, access to series in Europe, sponsors, family money, etc.

However it is cyclical - usually 3 or 4 but in 2018 there was only Hamilton, previous year Ham + Palmer, also had some years with only Ham + Button and then DC + Button. 

Edited by Ginaro

Paul Di Resta seems to get a bit of abuse from the F1 fans on Twitter, for being boring/stating the obvious, but I’ve always found him interesting to listen to. He tries to explain any incidents in a bit of depth from a drivers perspective. 

30 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

For the usual reasons of a bigger pool of drivers in feeders series - first world country with motorsport heritage, good grassroots ladder, access to series in Europe, sponsors, family money, etc.

However it is cyclical - usually 3 or 4 but in 2018 there was only Hamilton, previous year Ham + Palmer, also had some years with only Ham + Button and then DC + Button. 

What sort of money are you looking at annually if you are funding a child to compete in karting etc. with ambitions to get to F1? I know it’s not a poor mans hobby but is it out of reach for your average man on the street. 

Used to work with a guy from Falkirk who took his son karting most weekends, all over the country, and he was always dishing out money to keep his boy going. He was adamant he wouldn’t get near any sort of elite level due to the politics involved even at the low level he was competing at.