The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

I dont think the race weekends need altered tbh, the issues are the cars, cost and engines.

The cars are way to big and way too fast, reduce them back down to 2008 size and slash the downforce.
Engines r ludicrously over complicated and expensive and you will never get any new engine suppliers whilst they cost 10mil plus, simplify them to bring the cost down & encourage other suppliers in (i miss the days of ford, honda, peugeot, etc).

The TV broadcast of qualifying doesn't help. It would far more exciting if they actually showed more drivers on the entire lap (particularly in the final run of q3). Seeing Bottas's full lap and then the final 3 seconds of everyone else's is idiotic. They already have the technology to show picture in picture. Why not have a drivers onboard camera up there too, and if they have a shit first sector switch it to someone else for the rest of the lap?
They could show the green/orange/purple sectors of each driver below their name down the side as the lap progresses as well. Really basic things would help make qualifying more watchable and less frustrating.

The TV broadcast of qualifying doesn't help. It would far more exciting if they actually showed more drivers on the entire lap (particularly in the final run of q3). Seeing Bottas's full lap and then the final 3 seconds of everyone else's is idiotic. They already have the technology to show picture in picture. Why not have a drivers onboard camera up there too, and if they have a shit first sector switch it to someone else for the rest of the lap?
They could show the green/orange/purple sectors of each driver below their name down the side as the lap progresses as well. Really basic things would help make qualifying more watchable and less frustrating.
Fair point, especially as this format basically shoehorns all the bits that anyone really cares about into a 30 second gap at the end of the final session. Yes it's exciting that everyone is out on track at the same time but I find more often than not that turns the final bit into a rabble that is hard to keep up with in real time.

Would that not make a farce at the end of each race, as cars with nothing to lose would benefit from coming last?

Or am i missing something obvious?

You don’t need to reverse it from last place. Maybe from 15th or something like that.

Anything to make the precession more interesting is worth a go IMO. A close title battle like we’re hopefully seeing this season certainly helps.

I enjoy the BTCC where winners have to carry extra weight and the third race has a reverse grid. They have multiple winners and have had 5 drivers going for the title in the last weekend for a while.

Portimao is quickly become a favourite track. Some excellent camera angles of the cars going up and down the elevations, my favourite is looking down the main straight from T1 and seeing the cars pop over the crest just before the finish line.

Portimao is quickly become a favourite track. Some excellent camera angles of the cars going up and down the elevations, my favourite is looking down the main straight from T1 and seeing the cars pop over the crest just before the finish line.
Needs to get a permanent slot, rather than more pish street circuits.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
On 30/04/2021 at 07:12, Gianfranco said:

You don’t need to reverse it from last place. Maybe from 15th or something like that.

It doesn't matter where you reverse it from, folk would still be then trying to finish in a false position.

That's why the BTCC made it a random draw from 6 to 10 rather just being the top 8/10. 

Seem to remember Jason Plato at Knockhill dropping back in race 2 to try and get a better grid position for race 3 when the reverse grid was brought in. 

Would it not be quite exciting on a Saturday to have each driver going out individually with only one lap to set a time. It wouldn’t take any longer than the current qualifying and would be a better spectacle for fans both at the track and watching on TV. Have the driver who finished last in the previous race come out the pits first, get their tyres warmed up on the out lap and then have one chance to set a qualifying time. The following drivers would know what time they have to beat before they start their lap and force them to push the car to its limits, either resulting in watching a flawless lap or a big mistake.

It would put a bit of pressure on the bigger teams and drivers to be faultless for that one lap where even a small mistake could see a Hamilton or Verstappen starting down the grid and give a chance for a Haas or Williams to start further up. The current qualifying set up never really throws up any upsets, and if a driver puts in a slow lap they have time to get back out and rectify it. Ive seen the odd race where a Ferrari or Red Bull will drop out in Q2 but it’s pretty rare. 

Can imagine in the one lap set up I’ve suggested above that the television broadcasters could have a field day with it. They could set up something where the driver who has the fastest lap goes to a special ‘pole position’ tent behind the pit lane, with a television set up for them to watch as the other drivers try to take pole and have the broadcasters cameras ready to watch their reaction. Imagine Verstappen going out second last and taking pole position with only Hamilton to go after. Verstappen goes to the pole position tent all smiles and fist pumps as Hamilton sits in his car in the pits knowing what time he needs to beat. He posts the fastest times in the first two sectors as Verstappen watches on shiting himself.  Just as it looks like Hamilton is going to take pole, he over does it on the final corner and spins into the gravel, resulting in him starting in last place.

I think it’s an excellent and unique idea that I’ve came up with, although Ive just realised it’s quite similar to how they compete in downhill skiing events at the Olympics etc. The ‘pole position’ tent, however, is my idea completely, and if the FIA  read this post and do decide to introduce this format for qualifying, then Sky Sports should be aware that I’m in the process of copyrighting ‘pole position tent’ along with any other derivatives that could conceivably be interpreted to mean something similar, i.e. ‘pole position zone’ etc. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

One shot qualifying was replaced by the current format.

I didn’t know that. I put a lot of time into coming up with ideas for that format too, wish I hadn’t bothered now.