The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Also this lapped cars can unlap themselves is pish.

1 hour ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

How is it cars are allowed to unlap themselves anyway? I just don't get it.

By forming everyone up behind the leader the SC effectively puts the best part of a lap between two cars battling for position. For example, if there's a close battle for 10th place and the leader laps 11th place just before a SC or red flag comes out, that means 10th place joins the back of the pack and 11th is now stuck behind the leader. What was a 1 second gap in the battle for 10th becomes 60 seconds at Imola and there's not much chance of 11th closing that gap.

It also means you don't get lapped cars in the way of the battle at the front of the field when the race restarts. I've seen other series have the lapped cars drive through the pits to drop to the back, but that doesn't solve the unfairness of the SC.

If you've ever followed a multi-class endurance race you will know that's especially frustrating when you could have the lead battle in the GT class being lapped by the overall leader, and then split up by a lap if the SC comes out.

It's one of the reasons why Le Mans has three Safety Cars - so you only lose 1/3rd of a lap - and is also why they introduced "slow zones" where basically cars in marshalling sectors have a 80km/h speed limit so that they don't have to neutralise the entire circuit and "full course yellow" (basically VSC).

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Remember his first WC win when Timo Glock reversed past him on the final corner to give him the points he needed?

Hamilton is an absolutely fantastic driver, but he is also quite jammy, and an insufferable c**t

Don't know if you're just being a trolling c**t or not, but I do remember that - where both Toyotas took a gamble, didn't pit for inters in the closing laps so Glock jumped Hamilton and then he was struggling for grip with dry tyres on a increasingly wet track. In case you haven't seen it, here's the final lap:

Edited by Ginaro

Actually think the Russell / Bottas one is unfortunate but Russell's fault. Bottas takes the dry line so will always close the door on Russell who at that speed was committed. He should have realised that Bottas was going to take that line and waited for a better opportunity than take a chance on the wet track. 

Certainly Bottas is done. Hamilton has mentally destroyed a pretty talented driver. 

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

Actually think the Russell / Bottas one is unfortunate but Russell's fault. Bottas takes the dry line so will always close the door on Russell who at that speed was committed. He should have realised that Bottas was going to take that line and waited for a better opportunity than take a chance on the wet track. 

Certainly Bottas is done. Hamilton has mentally destroyed a pretty talented driver. 

Seen lots of comments dismissing the whole Bottas v Russell for a Mercedes drive in 2022, but it's surely a factor, along with just how quickly Russell caught Bottas over half a lap.

If you look at the video of Hamilton going off, you can see Russell lost just over 1 second to Bottas at Tosa. https://streamable.com/ao1wvn But he caught back up in half a lap and had a great chance to get one over on Bottas - he had such a pace advantage, he was trying to pass much earlier than other DRS passes.

I think Bottas didn't expect Russell to pass and that's why he stayed on the dry line and only jinked left at the last moment once there was an overlap. Whereas Russell maybe thought Bottas would defend and once Bottas drifted out it was too late for Russell to back out.

8 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Hamilton could fall into a huge barrel of shite, and come up with a rose between his teeth. Without the safety car and the red flag hes getting nowhere near the podium.

How did Gasly end up 7th aswell? I’m sure earlier on in the race they said he was 8 seconds slower than everyone else as he was still on the full wets and he took ages to stop for inters.

Toto probably got it right tbh, mainly russell’s fault but bottas did move slightly. Hamilton has shattered bottas and he’s now feeling the pressure with his seat under threat for 2022.

Also bottas really doesn’t like the wet which is odd for a finnish driver

7 hours ago, IainMorton said:

How did Gasly end up 7th aswell? I’m sure earlier on in the race they said he was 8 seconds slower than everyone else as he was still on the full wets and he took ages to stop for inters.

Look at the highlights on Youtube - 14th at the red flag restart, made up two places in the opening corners, Perez spun, Giovinazzi had to pit, passes Alonso and Raikkonen, Stroll gets a 5s penalty. And of course like others he got his lap back.

Really not in favour of this, its something that belongs in club racing or something gimmicky like formula E alongside their fan boost and computer game style attack zones.

I'm glad that they aren't going daft with points (3,2,1 for 1st-3rd) and not having the sprint race with any fanfare surrounding it to keep the Sunday race the main spectacle. I wonder tho how much 'great' racing we'll see from them tho, will people be fully committed to overtakes if all they stand to gain is 1 place up the grid but a mistake will put them at the back with potential race compromising damage too?

Bring back free 1 hour quali session with no tyre or Parc ferme restrictions imo.