The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Watching an interview with Toto Wolff just now and it got me wondering if the majority view is that he is the greatest team principal of all time.

Or does he suffer from a similar opinion as Lewis at times of “well anyone could manage that team to victory”.

Or is it the fact that he has successfully turned Mercedes money and technical knowledge into so many victories that cements his place as the greatest as opposed to some Ferrari (and other) team leaders who couldn’t turn the advantages into titles.

I see Mercedes are at the sand-bagging again.
By this point everyone should just treat their pre season testing performances like Djokovic just before he calls the trainer on when a set down at tennis.

That is gutting. 97 is the first season I remember and I loved his commentary especially the way he says Schumacher. As a bigger BTCC fan than F1 watching old videos of his “going for first” when John Cleland gave the finger on an on board and “It’s Tarquini” as he rolled the Alfa at Knockhill will always stay with me. RIP legend.

Very sad news. Sky had him on the phone before one of the races last season (70th anniversary GP?) and he still seemed very sharp and was bang up to date with current F1. I used to love that he would commentate on pretty much any level of motorsport for Grandstand. One week he'd be doing the Monaco GP, next week he'd be doing Touring Cars from some obscure circuit in England.

*edit* I just seen he was 97. I knew he was getting on a bit, but I thought he was about a decade younger than that.

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

9 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

That is gutting. 97 is the first season I remember and I loved his commentary especially the way he says Schumacher. As a bigger BTCC fan than F1 watching old videos of his “going for first” when John Cleland gave the finger on an on board and “It’s Tarquini” as he rolled the Alfa at Knockhill will always stay with me. RIP legend.

Still one of the best lines in commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3xj5b7hVco

I must admit, I'm amazed he wasn't Sir Murray. I can only imagine how long ago it was that I read his autobiography but I'm pretty sure it was one of the first I ever read. I also spent a fair chunk of the first lockdown with classic F1 races from YouTube in the background as I worked and his voice brought so many terrific memories back.

Has never been able to be replaced in the commentary box, was as much part of F1 as the teams and drivers. Had such a passion for every form of motorsport. Hearing a 97 year old passing away usually doesn't have much impact on me as you expect a 97 year old to die but he was still decades younger than his age.

R.I.P. a genuine legend.

Sad news. His BTCC commentary  (admittedly usually on the pre-record) was great aswell, some utter howitzers in here.

(There's also a clip knocking about of him commentating on snooker in his own 'style', which is great. RIP.)

A sad day, the last of the original sports commentators away.

What an innings though. I remember way back when the sport used to be on Radio 2 on a Saturday afternoon, they did a feature on the first time the BBC covered the British Grand Prix, 1949 I think it was, and unbelievably Murray Walker was doing the commentary!

Sky are showing episodes from the first two series of Drive to Survive every night at 9.30 until the 23rd. https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12245723/drive-to-survive-on-sky-sports-f1-seasons-one-and-two-of-netflix-original-series-start-on-march-14

I don't have Netflix, so this is the first time I've seen it. It's nice to go back to a time when Haas were lovable underdogs and weren't employing millionaire sex pests.