The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Hopefully this now means Red Bull now have two drivers that can challenge Mercedes not just Max. That’s part of the reason Merc were so dominant as they only had one RBR driver to worry about and use Bottas to cover him off, now maybe with Perez it might not be as simple.

14 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It's hard to see a way back for Albon now. That good drive in Abu Dhabi came far too late for him. Would he be allowed to go back to F2? A season there honing his race craft could do him good.

From a quick Google, the only rule is that part champions can't compete in consecutive seasons, so he would be allowed to. 

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on.
Perez's big strength is keeping the tyres, which means he can often ends up in good positions. But that's when the cars are designed with him in mind. The RB is notoriously oversteery to suit Max.
I hope it goes well for Perez though, if nothing else to annoy Verstappen

Hopefully this now means Red Bull now have two drivers that can challenge Mercedes not just Max. That’s part of the reason Merc were so dominant as they only had one RBR driver to worry about and use Bottas to cover him off, now maybe with Perez it might not be as simple.

13 hours ago, Jeek said:

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on.
Perez's big strength is keeping the tyres, which means he can often ends up in good positions. But that's when the cars are designed with him in mind. The RB is notoriously oversteery to suit Max.
I hope it goes well for Perez though, if nothing else to annoy Verstappen

I fear for Perez a bit on that one...  I think Red Bull will continue to set up for Max, I'm sure Perez will cope better, but Gasly and Albon aren't bad drivers. 

I fear for Perez a bit on that one...  I think Red Bull will continue to set up for Max, I'm sure Perez will cope better, but Gasly and Albon aren't bad drivers. 
I think Perez is a better driver than those two, although tbf to Gasly he was excellent this season. In addition, he is much more experienced so I would hope wouldn't be as affected psychologically by being up against Verstappen.

On 18/12/2020 at 15:50, IainMorton said:

Does Max read my posts on here?!

0CC179CD-0059-4B78-83AD-CEB81686DE72.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I know he's good at what he does, but every time Max speaks, he comes across as a massive p***k.

He's right though. One 4th place from Gasly in half a season and two 3rds and three 4ths from Albon in one and a half seasons isn't good enough when Max is finishing on the podium in most races.

26 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

He's right though. One 4th place from Gasly in half a season and two 3rds and three 4ths from Albon in one and a half seasons isn't good enough when Max is finishing on the podium in most races.

Yep. If Red Bull want to challenge Mercedes they need both cars up there. The fact that Hamilton scored more points than both Verstappen and Albon combined this year says a lot.

Edited by IainMorton

• 2 weeks later...

Was always a bit optimistic having it as the first race given the Aussie approach to tackling covid. Might be something in the contract that Melbourne has to have the season opener and they've now found a legal way round it.

Seemingly they're hopeful of having it later in the season but not so sure myself.

Australia's approach is understandable - they have an opportunity to defeat Covid and can prevent a new variant spreading in the country, so it's no surprise they want a long and serious quarantine for new arrivals. For all the resources, 15% of drivers have already tested positive and I think there was something like 78 positives in F1 over the course of the season. 

32 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Bahrain is the 2nd race so using the outer track would be a decent alternative to replace oz

Yup, it's roughly the exact same amount of total tedium, so we wouldn't lose anything in the monumentally boring track stakes at least.

19 hours ago, GordonS said:

Australia's approach is understandable - they have an opportunity to defeat Covid and can prevent a new variant spreading in the country, so it's no surprise they want a long and serious quarantine for new arrivals. For all the resources, 15% of drivers have already tested positive and I think there was something like 78 positives in F1 over the course of the season. 

20% now