The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

10 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Are you suggesting that Lewis Hamilton is overrated,

Surely not?

Maybe very astute in his choice of employers, perfect timing for his switch from McLaren to Mercerdes for example. It's pretty well impossible to tell how good Hamilton is, he's never had a shite car. Not sure how fair the fight was between him and Fernando Alonso when they raced together at McLaren, but when you see what Fernando got out shite cars it would be interesting to see how Hamilton would get on down the grid. I still think Hamilton is probably one of the best ever though, despite not being particularly likeable.

A penalty would have been the icing on the particularly shitty cake he was served up by Mercedes through no fault of his own. They cost him the race once, yet he'd probably still have won without his puncture.

Pleased for Perez and Racing Point though. More than half the field must have been on the podium at some point this season now - much better than a year or so back when I don't think anyone outside of Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari managed it.

I wonder if part of it is him falling out with team mates when he hasn't been the No1?

Its Max's team and they wont want to do anything to upset him. They want someone a little faster than Albon but not really challenging Max, he's too fragile and loses the head for that.

Imo.

There’s something seriously wrong if Perez isn’t driving for Red Bull next season.

Yeah, they basically need someone to be what Irvine/Barrichello/Massa were to Schumacher in the Ferrari days. Someone who will run near the front, pick up handy constructors points, be there to pounce if Verstappen isn't in contention and can also cause problems with strategy.

Sadly, Albon doesn't look like being that driver. I hope this isn't the end of his F1 career - Perez has shown what can happen if you're promoted to a top team too soon but are given the chance to rebuild. You wonder how different things would have been for Albon if he hadn't had those incidents with Hamilton in Brazil and Austria.

59 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I still think there is a slight chance that Hamilton will retire, especially if Toto is moving on. It's a bit weird that he doesn't have a deal for 2021 yet.

He said he was waiting till the end of the year, and that the people who he would be negotiating a contract with weren’t in his “bubble” so couldn’t sit down with them during the season as he wanted to be in contact with as few people as possible. Like I’ve said before, I think another three years then he’ll call it a day.