The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

For an F1 daft country such as Italy, they have so few drivers now anywhere near this level.

What has happened, there always used to be at least two or three in F1, with many in the junior formulas?

The UK and France have managed to sustain a representative since the 1950's, I can't remember any breaks in that off the top of my head, France might have gone a couple of seasons without when Panis retired, I'll need to check that one. I can't remember a season without an Italian driver in F1 so maybe Ferrari are aware of this and this is the reason.

From what i can see online since 1950 the following seasons i have found the following 

No Italian driver - 2018, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 

No British driver -none 

No French driver - 2011, 2010, 2007, 2005, 1965

9 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

From what i can see online since 1950 the following seasons i have found the following 

No Italian driver - 2018, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 

No British driver -none 

No French driver - 2011, 2010, 2007, 2005, 1965

The other country that came to my mind were Germany. There have only been no German drivers in 3 years; 1966, 1969, 1981. In '66 and '69 there were German drivers in the German GP, but they were F2 entrants.

21 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Was there not 4/5 British drivers on the grid a few years back?

Just noticed Williams are keeping the same lineup too.

in 2002 there was  4 that started all rounds (Coulthard, Button, Irvine and McNish) started all rounds and Anthony Davidson started the  Hungarian and Belgian Grand Prixs(Minardi dropped Alex Yoong for the 2 races). 

8 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

in 2002 there was  4 that started all rounds (Coulthard, Button, Irvine and McNish) started all rounds and Anthony Davidson started the  Hungarian and Belgian Grand Prixs(Minardi dropped Alex Yoong for the 2 races). 

4 raced all rounds in 2013 as well (Button, Hamilton, Di Resta, Chilton). 4 also got on to the grid in 2017 (Hamilton, Palmer, Button, Di Resta), but only Hamilton was there for every race (Button and Di Resta 1 each, Palmer 16/20).

It'd be nice if this season's visits to places like Imola, Mugello and Portimao led to some positive track choices in the future, where actual proper circuits get on the calendar rather than money-making exercises like Vietnam and whatever the f**k Saudi Arabia is going to be. 

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

It'd be nice if this season's visits to places like Imola, Mugello and Portimao led to some positive track choices in the future, where actual proper circuits get on the calendar rather than money-making exercises like Vietnam and whatever the f**k Saudi Arabia is going to be. 

Suppose it’s all about the money now, why go to the classic circuits when all these rich Middle Eastern and Asian countries will throw millions of pounds your way to host a race?

10 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Suppose it’s all about the money now, why go to the classic circuits when all these rich Middle Eastern and Asian countries will throw millions of pounds your way to host a race?

Because they're better locations with better tracks producing better races.