The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

I don't think it will happen, but I would think that the only way Vettel would get a seat at Mercedes was under the explicit understanding that he was there as rear gunner to Hamilton.

I would think they'd sell it to him as a final shot at driving for the Silver Arrows before he retires.  He'd pick up a few wins for them on the occasions where Hamilton was out of it, and help them to continue to dominate the constructors.

52 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

US, Mexico and Brazil grand prix all cancelled, 3 events at the Nurburgring, Imola and a debut event for Portimao will take their place.

Formula 1: US, Mexican & Brazilian races will not go ahead in 2020 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53527355

Also confirmation in there that they have abandoned attempts to hold the Canadian GP, which means they are now relying on the FIA putting aside their world championship definition this year.

Have they considered just racing at Austria another three times yet as opposed to this alternative, back of a fag packet nonsense? It can't be far down the list of ideas.

This is a farce of a season that I for one will not be considering as a legitimate competition. File it alongside all the old non-championship grands prix in the nonsense file please.

Edited by vikingTON

4 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

Looking at the track in Portugal, it’s a (kind of) similar layout to the Barcelona circuit. Just glad to have more races added to the calendar.

Portimao is a great track but again like Mugello I think it's more suited towards the bikes, it has more elevation changes than Barcelona which should make it a bit better than a normal race in Barcelona.

Noticed that Imola is only a 2 day race weekend as well, obviously due to local noise restrictions at the track, but it has been something some teams have been pushing for.

On 29/07/2020 at 17:21, Sarto Mutiny said:

Lewis likes Bottas because Bottas is not a threat to him. He's always got on with the team mates who are no threat to him. The ones who were a threat to him, there's been conflict (Alonso, Button, even Rosberg).

While I agree with the point, with Alonso it was Hamilton who was the threat, and I'd put the conflict more on Alonso.

9 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

Hulkenberg rumoured to replace perez for the next 2 races, ironically could be his 2 best shots at a podium in his career!

Had the same thought. Would be funny if this is when he finally gets his podium!