The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Hamilton has already put Bottas in his place, not only on the track but mentally too. Unless Red Bull pull their finger out, he’s going to stroll it again.
As fantastic as Lewis Hamilton is, when you have the best driver in the best car, it's really fucking boring to watch. Bottas is not even remotely in Hamilton's class.

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:
2 hours ago, IainMorton said:
Hamilton has already put Bottas in his place, not only on the track but mentally too. Unless Red Bull pull their finger out, he’s going to stroll it again.

As fantastic as Lewis Hamilton is, when you have the best driver in the best car, it's really fucking boring to watch. Bottas is not even remotely in Hamilton's class.

Rosberg proved he can be beaten but you have to get inside his head. If he does it to you first, you’re fucked. That’s what sets him apart from the rest IMO.

14 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Rosberg proved he can be beaten but you have to get inside his head. If he does it to you first, you’re fucked. That’s what sets him apart from the rest IMO.

Yeah you are totally right, takes a certain mentality to beat him in a fight. I'd love for Mercedes to pick someone a little more fighty and less staid than Bottas and Rosberg appear. 

Indeed you can see Bottas was visibly crushed yesterday. He didn't really manage to really put Verstappen under the cosh either, although I thought the strategy was a tall order.  He did push Max hard before his 3rd stop on the medium tyres, but he would have needed to stop again even if he got past and Mercedes pitted him to give him the most laps to chase him down but he needed more laps. 

The Mercedes car once again is in a class of it's own. Unbelievable nobody in F1 has been able to challenge it seriously in years. It's a bit rubbish to see a team dominate so much but fair play, year after year it's relentless. Should put Hamilton in the second Red Bull for the rest of the season and tell them to take a season off! 

The Haas penalty is a harsh one. I understand why radio communications are banned in that circumstance, but pitting for tyres seems like it should be a possible exclusion. 

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Yeah you are totally right, takes a certain mentality to beat him in a fight. I'd love for Mercedes to pick someone a little more fighty and less staid than Bottas and Rosberg appear.

Imagine if Max was in the second Merc. Would Hamilton's head explode before Toto's?

7 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Indeed you can see Bottas was visibly crushed yesterday. He didn't really manage to really put Verstappen under the cosh either, although I thought the strategy was a tall order.  He did push Max hard before his 3rd stop on the medium tyres, but he would have needed to stop again even if he got past and Mercedes pitted him to give him the most laps to chase him down but he needed more laps. 

The Mercedes car once again is in a class of it's own. Unbelievable nobody in F1 has been able to challenge it seriously in years. It's a bit rubbish to see a team dominate so much but fair play, year after year it's relentless. Should put Hamilton in the second Red Bull for the rest of the season and tell them to take a season off! 

The Haas penalty is a harsh one. I understand why radio communications are banned in that circumstance, but pitting for tyres seems like it should be a possible exclusion. 

Bottas will be far happier once he accepts that he cannot beat Hamilton over a season. He's in the best car, but he's up against one of the greatest drivers in history. He can beat him on the odd occasion but that's all. It suits Mercedes as he won't rock the boat and is usually good enough to pick up the pieces if Hamilton ever hits trouble.

3 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Bottas will be far happier once he accepts that he cannot beat Hamilton over a season. He's in the best car, but he's up against one of the greatest drivers in history. He can beat him on the odd occasion but that's all. It suits Mercedes as he won't rock the boat and is usually good enough to pick up the pieces if Hamilton ever hits trouble.

And that's the key thing. They don't have the best two drivers on the grid, but they have a very good pairing and the best car who are pretty much guaranteed to deliver both championships for them every season. They have nothing to gain by putting Verstappen, Leclerc or Vettel of a few years ago into the other car. As long as Bottas keeps doing enough for the constructors and one of the two drivers takes the drivers they'll be happy.

The penalty for Haas seems a bit ridiculous for me. Can't see how telling guys to pit to change tyres counts as driver coaching or an outside aid. Compare that to Norris in Austria where they were telling him exactly where to use certain modes on the last lap.

On another note, am I the only one who really couldn't give a shit about driver ratings? Autosport do a few paragraphs on each drivers' race and give them a mark out of 10 - fine. Now they have started doing a bloody podcast where they explain why they gave each rating (apparently the few paragraphs wasn't the same). The Race make a big deal of it to, as do Sky. Why? Who cares why you gave a driver a seven or an eight? Maybe it's just an easy way of getting easy hits as it riles up some of the simpletons on the web (as opposed to me, who just gets riled up by the whole concept).

And that's the key thing. They don't have the best two drivers on the grid, but they have a very good pairing and the best car who are pretty much guaranteed to deliver both championships for them every season. They have nothing to gain by putting Verstappen, Leclerc or Vettel of a few years ago into the other car. As long as Bottas keeps doing enough for the constructors and one of the two drivers takes the drivers they'll be happy.
The penalty for Haas seems a bit ridiculous for me. Can't see how telling guys to pit to change tyres counts as driver coaching or an outside aid. Compare that to Norris in Austria where they were telling him exactly where to use certain modes on the last lap.
On another note, am I the only one who really couldn't give a shit about driver ratings? Autosport do a few paragraphs on each drivers' race and give them a mark out of 10 - fine. Now they have started doing a bloody podcast where they explain why they gave each rating (apparently the few paragraphs wasn't the same). The Race make a big deal of it to, as do Sky. Why? Who cares why you gave a driver a seven or an eight? Maybe it's just an easy way of getting easy hits as it riles up some of the simpletons on the web (as opposed to me, who just gets riled up by the whole concept).
Still better than the Kimi / Alfa Romeo "I take my time" advert.

Watching the F3 and F2 races as well as the F1 coverage means you must see / hear the same 5 seconds of music plus absolutely shite play on words (and it's barely that) it 20 /30 times a weekend

Sincerely,

Rattled of Bristol

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Exactly, no need to rock the boat, Bottas will give Hamilton the occasional shove and pick up points. Ultimately sensible but shite for fans wanting a bit of fireworks and excitement! 

That said Vettel of 2020 probably makes a lot of sense for Mercedes. German driver, good experience, would push Hamilton without fireworks, unlikely to cause too much heartache and would play the team game.  

I think Seb would be a poor move for Mercedes. I quite like him, but Hamilton would wipe the floor with him, and any time he has to race he ends up facing backwards. He might win more races than Bottas, but he isn't the safe pair of hands that Valtteri provides. 
Aye. He couldn't cope with Ricciardo or Leclerc. Hamilton would have him on toast.