The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

6 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

Mugello is a great track, not the biggest but f1 cars should be good round it. I’d still love imola to come back

May yet see Imola appear, but I doubt we’ll see three Italian circuits in a year.

The BBC is reporting that a circuit at Portimao in the Algarve will be added in the next wee while but also that Canada is now looking unlikely.

If that’s the case, and if you assume that Abu Dhabi will proceed as planned, that’s only two continents certain to be raced on; one short of the three needed to crown ‘World’ Champions. I wonder how they’ll resolve that.

2 hours ago, Morton Supporter said:

May yet see Imola appear, but I doubt we’ll see three Italian circuits in a year.

The BBC is reporting that a circuit at Portimao in the Algarve will be added in the next wee while but also that Canada is now looking unlikely.

If that’s the case, and if you assume that Abu Dhabi will proceed as planned, that’s only two continents certain to be raced on; one short of the three needed to crown ‘World’ Champions. I wonder how they’ll resolve that.

I believe the FIA have said that they will be flexible with that requirement if necessary for the next couple of years.

10 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Are there any circuits in North Africa they could use? That would get them up to the 3 continents without having to move very far.

The only FIA grade 1 circuits which are not in Europe or Asia are in Canada, USA, Mexico, Brazil, and Australia. The Morocco track is grade 2 and only 3km. Although Circuit of the Americas is right next to an airport, the problem is Texas is a Covid hotspot and it would need everyone to basically quarantine at the track.

So unless they can somehow upgrade an existing grade 2 circuit, it's most likely the requirement will be waived due to force majeure or something.

17 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

The only FIA grade 1 circuits which are not in Europe or Asia are in Canada, USA, Mexico, Brazil, and Australia. The Morocco track is grade 2 and only 3km. Although Circuit of the Americas is right next to an airport, the problem is Texas is a Covid hotspot and it would need everyone to basically quarantine at the track.

So unless they can somehow upgrade an existing grade 2 circuit, it's most likely the requirement will be waived due to force majeure or something.

Thanks, that's the type of detail I was looking for!

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Surely the drivers would refuse given the state of America?

Yeah cant see it happening tbh as it would basically involve 28 days quarintine in total(14 when you arrive 14 when you get back home)