The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

1 hour ago, IainMorton said:

Bit harsh IMO. Remember the good old days when something like this was classed as a “racing incident”?

I don't think it was much more than that, if I'm honest. Yes, he hit him, and yes, Albon was ahead, but I'm not sure where Hamilton was supposed to go. In modern racing it's a penalty though, and based on similar incidents the 5 seconds feels right. Slightly surprised Mercedes didn't let him past Bottas to get a gap to Leclerc and Norris at the end.

I don't think it was much more than that, if I'm honest. Yes, he hit him, and yes, Albon was ahead, but I'm not sure where Hamilton was supposed to go. In modern racing it's a penalty though, and based on similar incidents the 5 seconds feels right. Slightly surprised Mercedes didn't let him past Bottas to get a gap to Leclerc and Norris at the end.

I agree if u watch the on board from hamilton he’s still turning and there’s not much he could have done. Not sure why merc didn’t pit both cars under safety car.

10 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
4 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:
Alonso is coming back next year with Renault.

Looks like Vettel def be off the grid then for next year. Doesn't appear to be a seat anywhere for him

Said last year he should chuck it, average driver that makes too many mistakes. Those titles were down to Newey, not him.

On 07/07/2020 at 15:26, die hard doonhamer said:

Alonso is coming back next year with Renault.

I think it's great. He's unlikely to be at the front next year, but I guess he's hoping the change in regs in 2022 will make the Renault more competitive. I think he's the most complete driver I have ever seen, and it's a crying shame that poor career choices and bad luck have led to him having only 31 wins and two titles. His 2012 season was, I think, the greatest season any driver has ever had. That car was fifth best in the field and he nearly won a title in it.

I think it's great. He's unlikely to be at the front next year, but I guess he's hoping the change in regs in 2022 will make the Renault more competitive. I think he's the most complete driver I have ever seen, and it's a crying shame that poor career choices and bad luck have led to him having only 31 wins and two titles. His 2012 season was, I think, the greatest season any driver has ever had. That car was fifth best in the field and he nearly won a title in it.
A lot of the "experts" and recently retired drivers say similar. That he was, even up to the year before he retired first time, the best driver on the grid and it was his choice of teams and their cars that prevented him from more world titles

A lot of the "experts" and recently retired drivers say similar. That he was, even up to the year before he retired first time, the best driver on the grid and it was his choice of teams and their cars that prevented him from more world titles
Lewis Hamilton is quicker over one lap, and is also one of the greatest drivers in history. Alonso doesn't quite have that searing one lap pace, but nobody is better over a race distance.

Confirmed that the 1000 GP for Ferrari  will be the Tuscany GP at Mugello on September 13th - where Mercedes will prance off into the distance whilst the strangely underpowered compared to last year Ferraris get on with trying to finish ahead of racing Point.

Sochi also added to the Calendar for September 27th.

Mugello is a very fast flowing track, always watch the Moto GP weekend when they race there as it normally provides some good races (especially the mad Moto 3 race where slipstream is king)

Qualifying should be good, anyone who decides to risk it and attack flat out may reap a big reward.....or bin it spectacularly.  However I don't think it will race that well, the flowing nature of the track may prevent cars getting too close to each other through the turns and with no big breaking areas (apart from T1 and maybe T12) overtaking may be difficult.