The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

18 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

"Bring back those fucking V12s"
That would be great, Sebastian.

Fairly sure he never got the chance to race a V12. He'd no doubt be whining about them after a year or so too. Was a nice bit of karma that he had to retire.

16 hours ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Why have they not put a stop to teams pitting under safety cars? Makes a complete mockery of the race.

That was the rule about 10 years ago. Problem was you still had refuelling back then so folk were left with no option but to pit and take a penalty or else they'd have run out.

I don't have a problem with it. Some you win, some you lose. In Australia the other year Vettel ended up beating the Mercs because of a safety car so it probably balances out.

On 30/09/2019 at 07:40, Stu said:

Fairly sure he never got the chance to race a V12. He'd no doubt be whining about them after a year or so too. Was a nice bit of karma that he had to retire.

That was the rule about 10 years ago. Problem was you still had refuelling back then so folk were left with no option but to pit and take a penalty or else they'd have run out.

I don't have a problem with it. Some you win, some you lose. In Australia the other year Vettel ended up beating the Mercs because of a safety car so it probably balances out.

Same reason Hamilton won at Silverstone this year too, stayed out longer than Bottas and got lucky when someone beached it in the gravel and brought out the SC. 

On 30/09/2019 at 07:40, Stu said:

Having it come down to pot luck when they can do something about it isn't right. I've never agreed with the view that it evens itself out either.

3 hours ago, Jupiter Jazz said:

Having it come down to pot luck when they can do something about it isn't right. I've never agreed with the view that it evens itself out either.

The problem is that there is the arguement that it would unfairly penalise this on a long first stint if there is a safety car and they can't pit, it just flips so that those who have already pitted get the 'free' stop (they just don't know it at the time).

20 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

The problem is that there is the arguement that it would unfairly penalise this on a long first stint if there is a safety car and they can't pit, it just flips so that those who have already pitted get the 'free' stop (they just don't know it at the time).

Hmm, not sure I agree with that. If someone is on a long first stint that's just a strategy choice. How many teams stay out hoping for a safety car so they can luck in? 

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

Autosport, Motorsport News and F1 Racing all seemingly to go online only. The quality has dropped but a shame that they are all going. Would have thought you could have merged the first two and still made a decent fist of a weekly publication.

Autosport, Motorsport News and F1 Racing all seemingly to go online only. The quality has dropped but a shame that they are all going. Would have thought you could have merged the first two and still made a decent fist of a weekly publication.
Autosport have changed there mind and have decided to charge £10.99 instead!

Also quali and race could be effected by the typhoon. May I say on behalf of the F1 fanbase... 'fcukin yaaasss'*

*So long as we still get a race

2 hours ago, Jeek said:

Autosport have changed there mind and have decided to charge £10.99 instead!

Also quali and race could be effected by the typhoon. May I say on behalf of the F1 fanbase... 'fcukin yaaasss'*

*So long as we still get a race

They're jacking up the price in a bid to force folk to go for the digital subscription as it's far cheaper. Then they can say no one is buying the magazine and shut it down.

I assumed this was all Zak Brown's doing but I see he's resigned so perhaps not.

Was absolutely convinced Mercedes were going to screw Bottas out of that win by letting Hamilton stay out. Glad that they didn't as he deserved it.

With regards to Ferrari, if it isn't the team messing up it's the drivers.

Carlos Sainz really is doing a phenomenal job this season.

• 2 weeks later...