The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

5 hours ago, afc_36_0 said:

All this aside its once again proof that vettel shits the bed when put under pressure

Thats it for me.  

My opinion is the same as it has been for the two seasons before this - if you put Vettel in the Mercedes and Hamilton in the Ferrari then Hamilton would have won more races than Seb has in that period.  I also believe Hamilton would've won at least one world title in the last two seasons in the red car............maybe not this season right enough as Merc have been so far ahead.

I think Vettel is a fantastic driver but I think Hamilton is on another level.   Hamilton is one of the best ever, possibly the best ever in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

And Alonso in either a Ferrari or Mercedes in last 3 years would've beat the pair of them. His team choice selecting was his biggest flaw.

I personally don't agree with that although it would be some battle. 

I think Verstappen would also be competing with these guys if he was in either car, although I'm not saying he is better than Alonso, Hamilton or Vettel.

51 minutes ago, Stu said:

Ferrari forgot to tell Leclerc about Vettel's penalty. Did ye, aye?

https://racer.com/2019/06/10/ferrari-forgot-to-tell-leclerc-about-vettel-penalty/

Do you think they are lying or do you think they didn't want to tell Le Clerc?

If it is true, which I doubt, then it is further evidence of the lack of cohesion within that team.

Do you think they are lying or do you think they didn't want to tell Le Clerc?
If it is true, which I doubt, then it is further evidence of the lack of cohesion within that team.
I would think they might not want to tell Leclerc as he might have got close enough to take second spot off Vettel, who they knew was going to be seriously pissed off as it was without slipping down another place.

19 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

My opinion is the same as it has been for the two seasons before this - if you put Vettel in the Mercedes and Hamilton in the Ferrari then Hamilton would have won more races than Seb has in that period.  I also believe Hamilton would've won at least one world title in the last two seasons in the red car............maybe not this season right enough as Merc have been so far ahead.

I think Vettel is a fantastic driver but I think Hamilton is on another level.   Hamilton is one of the best ever, possibly the best ever in my opinion.

I'm not completely sure about that, Vettel, as much as he makes mistakes, is still a seriously good driver and that Ferarri hasn't been hugely competitive. In that Mercedes Vettel would have been very difficult to beat. However if both him and Hamilton were in the same car then that is a different question!

I actually think the standard of driver has improved a lot in the past few years. 

Happy 80'th Birthday to Sir Jackie Stewart!  One of F1's all time greats, 3 time world champion, commentator, team owner,  major advocate of safety and major advocate of tartan trousers.  

image.png.d2919c81cf5c2d4588660fd8d4fc32cc.png

image.png.8418dd22e8389542d75c6f71421af609.pngimage.png.fbd4254a9175f48b91f01dd58c88738d.png

image.png.7972d5bf1d8a729fa48b5cacbc107a36.png

Edited by senorsoupe

The penalty was an absolute joke of a decision but Ferrari also got it wrong afterwards by not getting Vettel to seriously back Hamilton up and give Leclerc a chance at the race win. Saving Vettel's KERS etc. for the back straight while doing a milk float impression in the first sector would have kept Hamilton behind and in dirty air, before Leclerc with DRS and a possible double slipstream could have had a go at overtaking both of them in the closing laps. 

Despite all the whining about Ferrari team orders from the past it was their lack of control over the drivers that stopped them from making the best of a bad situation. That would have been a no-brainer tactic for them twenty years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Vettel’s appeal rejected. Overall i think the penalty was harsh however i think it might have been fairer if they asked vettel to let hamilton past due to blocking him, that way it gives vettel the chance to get back past

Watched the first few laps then decided, as I'm in Valencia on holiday, I'd go and see what evidence there still is of the grand prix circuit.

A surprising amount is the answer.

20190623_162101.jpg20190623_162548.jpg20190623_163110.jpg

Watched the first few laps then decided, as I'm in Valencia on holiday, I'd go and see what evidence there still is of the grand prix circuit.

20190623_162101.thumb.jpg.277b73bea0067b5c236cf32e69f7893e.jpg20190623_162548.thumb.jpg.3ff57854ca6d060f395c026e275450e8.jpg20190623_163110.thumb.jpg.ca3bf84106af82dcda0a0229a7926c5e.jpg
An empty track provides just as much excitement these days as an actual race. There have been several dull races already this year, but today was as dull as anything we've seen so far. Felt sorry for Norris shipping a few places in the last few laps, but good to see McLaren making decent strides forwards this season.

20190623_162101.thumb.jpg.277b73bea0067b5c236cf32e69f7893e.jpg20190623_162548.thumb.jpg.3ff57854ca6d060f395c026e275450e8.jpg20190623_163110.thumb.jpg.ca3bf84106af82dcda0a0229a7926c5e.jpg

A lad I went to school with went to the European GP every year, they loved It. Quite eerie looking at an abandoned track.

Watched part of today's race, a friendly reminder why I love Indycar and not F1.  The Indycar race at Road America is only 15 laps old and there has been 10 times the action as there was in the entire French GP, and the track is beautiful. 

Watched part of today's race, a friendly reminder why I love Indycar and not F1.  The Indycar race at Road America is only 15 laps old and there has been 10 times the action as there was in the entire French GP, and the track is beautiful. 
Watched first 2 laps of F1 then sat in the sun all day. As you say, Elkhart Lake IndyCar race is much more interesting and we have Nascar coming up soon too.