The F1 Thread

die hard doonhamer

Fell away from Formula 1 the last few years but I watched the Netflix documentary on my flight back from holiday there and it’s got me right back into it. Liked how they focused on the tensions between the lesser teams and I’m now looking forward to the season starting again. My enthusiasm might fall away once I’ve watched a couple of races where nothing happens and Hamilton cruises to a win. 

Is Ricciardo going from Red Bull to Renault not similar to a player leaving a team like Chelsea to go to West Ham and thinking they have a better chance of winning the title. Always liked Ricciardo but seems like an awful backwards step. 

Lando Norris seems like your average joe. His family definitely do not have a lot of money. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

19 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Is Ricciardo going from Red Bull to Renault not similar to a player leaving a team like Chelsea to go to West Ham and thinking they have a better chance of winning the title. Always liked Ricciardo but seems like an awful backwards step. 

Lando Norris seems like your average joe. His family definitely do not have a lot of money. 

It's not any different to Hamilton when he left McLaren for Mercedes. Renault have won in F1 at some point in every spell they've been there, so Ricciardo believes going to Renault will give him a shot at a championship at some point over the next few years.

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It's not any different to Hamilton when he left McLaren for Mercedes. Renault have won in F1 at some point in every spell they've been there, so Ricciardo believes going to Renault will give him a shot at a championship at some point over the next few years.

Fair enough then. Just seems like it requires an awful lot of money to be able to beat Mercedes or Ferrari over a full season and Red Bull seem in a better position that Renault to do that. I hope Ricciardo does it. 

Great by Hamilton and Bottas but a bit disappointing to see the others so far back

Norris the star there though. Great first qualifying for him and looking forward to seeing him in the race as he was exciting in F2.

Albon also did well to beat his more experienced team mate.