Berwick v Peterhead

'Morning all,

My previous contribution to this forum was written in the heat (or lack of it) of the moment. Obviously I really want the team to do well and I do realise that they have really improved over the past few games prior to this latest performance. Apologies to everyone for being overly negative.

The Ref was very tolerant  with some of the holding and pulling tactics  employed by some of the opposition players and that just added to the frustration.

I suppose like any other long term follower of Berwick Rangers, if I ever had some serious luck on the lottery I would invest heavily in the club for the sake of local pride.

As Mr Harvey said at his post match interview, this level of performance is not acceptable from his players and here's hoping that the team can learn from this experience, recover from this one and move forward to better games in the future.  :unsure:

22 minutes ago, Pugsley said:

'Morning all,

My previous contribution to this forum was written in the heat (or lack of it) of the moment. Obviously I really want the team to do well and I do realise that they have really improved over the past few games prior to this latest performance. Apologies to everyone for being overly negative.

As a fan of a club who went through more than enough rough times Pugsley, I know how you feel. BUT, you have to keep supporting your team and get over things like yesterday. Clubs like Berwick and the Mo are seldom gonna hit the heights regularly but when we do it's enjoyable.

And, by the way you're not an embarassment to your club like some of your other Berwick posters are. Keep the faith.

2 hours ago, Pugsley said:

'Morning all,

The Ref was very tolerant  with some of the holding and pulling tactics  employed by some of the opposition players and that just added to the frustration.

I suppose like any other long term follower of Berwick Rangers, if I ever had some serious luck on the lottery I would invest heavily in the club for the sake of local pride.

As Mr Harvey said at his post match interview, this level of performance is not acceptable from his players and here's hoping that the team can learn from this experience, recover from this one and move forward to better games in the future.  :unsure:

Paying fans are entitled to react... And then try to be positive the next day. Managers have to do both, half an hour after the match. 

Yesterdays performance was woeful. As bad as I've seen in the last couple of years. There was a gulf of at least 2 divisions between the sides as we were completely outclassed throughout the game. Peterhead could have easily scored 9 and we never looked like threatening their goal. 

I like Johnny Harvey's desire to play a passing game, but I hope he realised yesterday that our midfield players and some of our defenders aren't capable of it. The 2nd goal is etched on my mind in the same way as Josh Morris's hat- trick for Hawick. 

Sadly it is the experienced players who continually prove that they lack the necessary quality. 

But, Queens Park at home offers a decent chance to consign yesterday to history. This team has a lot going for it, and the manager will get it right. For now, we just need to accept our limitations and play to our strengths. 

We will win next week. 

Terrible, terrible. Though it probably wasn't as bad as the performance away to Edinburgh City earlier in the season, we made more outright defensive and 'keeper gaffes and paid the price.

I'm all for trying to play it out from the back but if you're tried several times and the ball is still with the back 4, only they're pushed back and have opponents breathing down their necks, they need to be entrusted to apply "safety first" and go long.

It would seem we've enough about us to compete with the lower-ranked sides in the division, plus the existing 8pt cushion is a comfort.

Manager must have felt a heck of a lot different at FT yesterday as he did at HT the week before.

Obviously enjoyed the trip to Berwick & was still happy with the outcome going up the road today. It was one of our better performances so far this season as we have only been playing well in spells but kept playing well for the whole game & if we had been more clinical could have scored quite a few more. Its a good sign that Jim is confident in the squad & is being able rotate players to keep them fresh. Berwick certainly did not help themselves whether the players on the park yesterday just had a bad day or are incapable of playing out from the back its a dangerous thing to do when its not working. Apart from the win its always handy to get these games played on a Saturday, still think last season playing Berwick on a Tuesday early in the year which although we won we dropped points the following Saturday & playing Annan on a Tuesday again early in the year we were well on top & tired & ended up drawing the match..

Didn’t make it yesterday(thankfully) [emoji85] but I do feel we need to drop Brennan and stop this crazy tippy taping about at the back which has put us in serious trouble numerous times this season.
It drives me bloody bonkers 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
I'm probably a voice in the wilderness, given Saturday's loss; but I like footballers playing football. Building from the back is the right thing IMHO. The gaffer, again, got it right for me; let the guys keep working on it, it takes time.

The more they do, the more intuitive the decion-making will be; who to pass it to, and if it's too tight and longer ball is the right thing. The big risk is the onset of the pitch at Shielfield getting softer and the surface more inconsistent. Again, decision making will be more key.

We've all seen the full backs going wide and O'Kane dropping deep to receive the ball from Brennan; generally works a treat. We need more drills, options and movement; that'll come.

On that, why blame Brennan solely for Saturday? He's been excellent since Adams left; yeah, the very drill mentioned went horribly wrong on Saturday, but there were many other contributors to that: and the defeat.

There's been a trend of blame the goalie for some years now (not @ you Willie); even the outstanding McCrorie attracted some pretty ill conceived comments.

Singling players out is counter-productive for their confidence; and ok everyone's entitled if it's merited. If I may, I just don't think singling him out and calling for him to be dropped is fair on this occasion.

Let's get behind the gaffer and the players, and get back on the rails v QP on Saturday.

I'm probably a voice in the wilderness, given Saturday's loss; but I like footballers playing football. Building from the back is the right thing IMHO. The gaffer, again, got it right for me; let the guys keep working on it, it takes time.

The more they do, the more intuitive the decion-making will be; who to pass it to, and if it's too tight and longer ball is the right thing. The big risk is the onset of the pitch at Shielfield getting softer and the surface more inconsistent. Again, decision making will be more key.

We've all seen the full backs going wide and O'Kane dropping deep to receive the ball from Brennan; generally works a treat. We need more drills, options and movement; that'll come.

On that, why blame Brennan solely for Saturday? He's been excellent since Adams left; yeah, the very drill mentioned went horribly wrong on Saturday, but there were many other contributors to that: and the defeat.

There's been a trend of blame the goalie for some years now (not @ you Willie); even the outstanding McCrorie attracted some pretty ill conceived comments.

Singling players out is counter-productive for their confidence; and ok everyone's entitled if it's merited. If I may, I just don't think singling him out and calling for him to be dropped is fair on this occasion.

Let's get behind the gaffer and the players, and get back on the rails v QP on Saturday.

Like I said wasn’t at Saturday’s game and only going off lowlights but goals 2-5 were bad goalkeeping decisions, actually the 5th was the worst of all as he was covering the right hand side of the goal at the free kick with wall at left.
I don’t blame him solely for all goals conceded this season, of course not.
You need backs to have more ability and awareness than ours possess to do this against the better teams in this league if we are going to play it short for the majority of the time.
Brennan is young and that is a plus for him but my opinion is that a spell on the sidelines now is needed.
This isn’t a knee jerk reaction from this game alone, the goalkeeper is the most important position in the defence and is also the most difficult, but losing 8 in two games is a hard one, let’s give the new lad a couple to see what he is like.
(I don’t dislike Brennan btw)

4 hours ago, A Believer said:

The keeper was shite, I highly doubt even he'd dispute that. For all there's a lot of criticism of keepers at times, there's also a weird club who get overprotective of them. While it's naive to suggest he was at fault for the loss (and I don't think he did suggest that anyway), they aren't immune from criticism nor being dropped. I do disagree on the need to ditch 'tippy tappy' though. Cries of 'FUCKIN GERRIT IN THE BOX' are a hilarious simplification of how football works.

While I don't believe our current squad are good enough to pull it off against the league's top sides, results against the others have improved since we adopted the approach and we're now (generally) competitive - all while still in the early days and players are adapting. With the opportunity to get more of his own players in, there's no reason we should ditch it when it's clearly the approach we want to adopt in the long term, and it's also getting more out of some of the players, Willis probably the shining example. 

Anyway, as long as Johnny Harvey gets us playing football along the deck but makes sure we take absolutely zero risks, but ensures it's all still silky but we don't concede any goals but we score hundreds but we don't do it in an ugly fashion but do go long when we need to, then Berwick fans will be happy. 

Most keepers are their own most harsh critics, so I agree Brennan will be honest and feel he may have done better; again there are not many goals conceded that keepers don't feel that. He wasn't shite, and has been flawless in the past weeks.

I just think that most uninitiated feed on a diet of English Premiership on the telly, seeing full-time keepers at the very top of their craft. This is the lower-reaches of SPFL2 and dropping young keepers after harsh judgements compared with the incomparable is not the right thing. Not at all to be immune from criticism, just treated fairly. Kev Walker, who was highly regarded by coaches and keepers alike, being hounded out being a case in point. Expecting come-back there!

Good defences are led by great keepers who direct the unit through trust and understanding; give him a chance to build that. Let's see how he goes on Saturday; I'd back him.

Archived