Sons vs Diamonds

2 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Obviously, the (neutrally compiled) stats reflect the pattern of the game.  Dumbarton failed to turn their domination/superiority into goals and that is a problem. However, it doesn't change the pattern of the game.

Exactly. But Airdrie had the better chances in the 1st half to score than Dumbarton had?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMG_1544302900.180949.jpgfirst half only, there was a studs up, ref pointed at mckintosh and counted three fouls he’d committed, yet never booked him, twice carswell was flattened allowing the ball to go out for goal kicks, clearly the ref forgot his cards first half, cos second half, ballantynes First challenge, booked, I’m not denying it was a booking, just poor refereeing beforehand

What don't you understand? 
What you are slevering about, obviously.

You scored from a god awful error from our keeper, Gallagher's shot skited the bar from an odd deflection and McDonald's shot was a 25 yarder that skittered wide. That doesn't change the fact we were the better team you deluded mess.

Not that it remotely matters. The scoreline is all that matters.

IMG_1544302900.180949.thumb.jpg.d3ec6ac65e5009a0d5a35fdba0d0ee6b.jpgfirst half only, there was a studs up, ref pointed at mckintosh and counted three fouls he’d committed, yet never booked him, twice carswell was flattened allowing the ball to go out for goal kicks, clearly the ref forgot his cards first half, cos second half, ballantynes First challenge, booked, I’m not denying it was a booking, just poor refereeing beforehand
Ballantyne's challenge absolutely deserved the yellow IMO, regardless of whether it was his first of the match. A lot of the 10 fouls we got in the first half were very soft.

I found the abuse the ref got at half time from the home end absolutely bizarre.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

What you are slevering about, obviously.

You scored from a god awful error from our keeper, Gallagher's shot skited the bar from an odd deflection and McDonald's shot was a 25 yarder that skittered wide. That doesn't change the fact we were the better team you deluded mess.

Not that it remotely matters. The scoreline is all that matters.

Slevering .

Ballantyne's challenge absolutely deserved the yellow IMO, regardless of whether it was his first of the match. A lot of the 10 fouls we got in the first half were very soft.

I found the abuse the ref got at half time from the home end absolutely bizarre.

As I said, no denying ballantynes booking

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

From the home end you say. I walked up towards the away end  just before half time to be greeted with the shout from an Airdrie punter, Groundsman gonny stick that fork right up the refs arse he's fecking useless. :lol:

3 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Come on- we shaded it 1st half - Airdrie scored a goal, hit the bar (Grant Gallagher clearance??/shot against Dumbarton defender onto bar), good save from your goalkeeper from  a Kieran McDonald drive, then the said  Kieran McDonald  missed a good shot on  goal to make it two ("missed" - "made an arse of it"). This against the Dumbarton 1st half chances of ....(I'll let you fill in the rest in to justify why you were the better team in the first half.)

Still waiting.

Any Airdrie fans who don't think we dominated that from start to finish are kidding themselves on. I don't buy that the ref was somehow against us (we won a lot of soft fouls in the first half) but we absolutely dominated the match. It's just a shame we were so piss poor at breaking Airdrie down and creating clear cut chances.

The only stat that matters is goals at the end of the day, but these pretty much confirm that we have a few deluded Airdrie fans among us...

20181208_202218.thumb.jpg.2ce9862aa8043c3304e96f9522f68fa0.jpg

You might be hitting out with these stats and all that pish but many clear cut chances did you have the full game 3/4? And scored with one?airdrie was the same you’re just deluded both team are w**k

8 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

You might be hitting out with these stats and all that pish but many clear cut chances did you have the full game 3/4? And scored with one?airdrie was the same you’re just deluded both team are w**k

We missed some amount of sitters. To argue otherwise would be daft. Michael Paton blazed over from about three yards, Calum Gallagher squared for Brad Spencer with an empty net after rounding McKenzie only for him to kick his own leg, Spencer missed a free header six yards out with an empty net in front of him, and McKenzie made a screamer of a save from Dowie when he looked certain to equalise.

Only one of those counted towards our nine shots on target. 

McIntosh had a good first-half chance, which he headered at McGowan, and Carrick blazed wide after Willie Dyer forgot he was playing football. That was pretty much it from a Diamonds point-of-view. Kieran MacDonald whizzing one wide from range and Grant Gallagher having a deflected shot from 20 yards loop up and onto the crossbar aren't "clear cut chances".

We missed some amount of sitters. To argue otherwise would be daft. Michael Paton blazed over from about three yards, Calum Gallagher squared for Brad Spencer with an empty net after rounding McKenzie only for him to kick his own leg, Spencer missed a free header six yards out with an empty net in front of him, and McKenzie made a screamer of a save from Dowie when he looked certain to equalise.
Only one of those counted towards our nine shots on target. 
McIntosh had a good first-half chance, which he headered at McGowan, and Carrick blazed wide after Willie Dyer forgot he was playing football. That was pretty much it from a Diamonds point-of-view. Kieran MacDonald whizzing one wide from range and Grant Gallagher having a deflected shot from 20 yards loop up and onto the crossbar aren't "clear cut chances".

Not to mention the easily 4/5 times Thomas shot (weakly) at the keeper, and gallaghers turn and shot in the first half, (again, weakly)

I'm quite keen to see how we'd get on with Forbes out wide and Spencer partnering Hutton. I said after last week that I'd be keen to see us stick with Forbes through the middle but the reality is that we can't afford to carry on with 2 dreadfully ineffective wide men every week.

I actually quite like Spencer, I feel he gives us something a bit different. The more I see him the more I think he's a box to box type - not afraid to get stuck in, bags of running and knows where the goal is. He might not be the most creative player in the world but I think he has something to offer us.

FWIW I think I'd be tempted to drop Barr before Paton but I'd be happy to see either one of them dropped for Spencer.

10 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Exactly. But Airdrie had the better chances in the 1st half to score than Dumbarton had?

9 hours ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Still waiting.

I just checked the BBC live text of the game here. According to that, Dumbarton had ten attempts at goal in the first half to Airdrie's three. It was 3-2 to Dumbarton on corners and 13 fouls by Airdrie to Dumbarton's one.  The Dumbarton attempts were 4 by Ross Forbes,  3 by Dom Thomas,  2 by Calum Gallagher and 1 by Stuart Carswell. Airdrie, apart from McIntosh's goal had 2 further attempts by him and 1 by McDonald.

41 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm quite keen to see how we'd get on with Forbes out wide and Spencer partnering Hutton. I said after last week that I'd be keen to see us stick with Forbes through the middle but the reality is that we can't afford to carry on with 2 dreadfully ineffective wide men every week.

I actually quite like Spencer, I feel he gives us something a bit different. The more I see him the more I think he's a box to box type - not afraid to get stuck in, bags of running and knows where the goal is. He might not be the most creative player in the world but I think he has something to offer us.

FWIW I think I'd be tempted to drop Barr before Paton but I'd be happy to see either one of them dropped for Spencer.

Couldnt agree more with this. It’s been clear for a while now that paton isn’t offering much and Barr’s no longer able to beat a man. What we badly need is a bit of pace down the flanks and I’m sure Duffy will know this. The problem will be financing any changes in January.

Id prefer Forbes in the middle. Felt he slowed the pace down at times yesterday. When a quick ball into the box or taking on the full-back was needed he instead opted for a second touch and inevitably a pass back either to Ballentyne or in to the middle to Hutton. That’s not necessarily a criticism of Forbes, but a realisation that his lack of pace was making out wide play pretty ineffective.

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I just checked the BBC live text of the game here. According to that, Dumbarton had ten attempts at goal in the first half to Airdrie's three. It was 3-2 to Dumbarton on corners and 13 fouls by Airdrie to Dumbarton's one.  The Dumbarton attempts were 4 by Ross Forbes,  3 by Dom Thomas,  2 by Calum Gallagher and 1 by Stuart Carswell. Airdrie, apart from McIntosh's goal had 2 further attempts by him and 1 by McDonald.

This is lke two bald men fighting over a comb. 

Let it go, you’ll feel much better.  

Those who think Airdrie were "dirty" obviously didn't grow up watching the football I did. Physical, yes, but "dirty"never. Breaking up play in this way is hardly a new tactic and if a team can get away with it then it's up to the other side to adapt. The fact that Thomas and Forbes were frequently crowded out should surprise no-one. It will probably happen in every game now.

It's a contact sport (or supposed to be) so you take the knocks and get on with it.

To which, kudos to the Airdrie player who went down under a heavy tackle near our box late on. I thought he'd landed badly but he made no complaint, got up, and carried on.

Those who think Airdrie were "dirty" obviously didn't grow up watching the football I did. Physical, yes, but "dirty"never. Breaking up play in this way is hardly a new tactic and if a team can get away with it then it's up to the other side to adapt. The fact that Thomas and Forbes were frequently crowded out should surprise no-one. It will probably happen in every game now.
It's a contact sport (or supposed to be) so you take the knocks and get on with it.
To which, kudos to the Airdrie player who went down under a heavy tackle near our box late on. I thought he'd landed badly but he made no complaint, got up, and carried on.
I'm not normally one for the 'back in my day' stuff, and my day wasn't all that long ago tbh, but I agree with this.

I also said to my mate at half time that I felt the ref was giving us a lot of soft fouls. With another ref in charge that stat of 18 fouls given in our favour could've easily been around 10 or 11 IMO.

1 hour ago, Old Scrotum said:

Has anyone said that Airdrie were dirty? 

Archived