Sons vs Diamonds

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Johnny Red said:

Yes he puts in a heck of a lot of effort, for not much end product.
He gets shrugged off the ball too easy, isn’t great at dribbling the ball past players, but worst of all, he has a right foot like a feather.
You are right that he is the best (only) striker we have right now, but the issue is we have no one up top that can put it in the back of the net for us. There were numerous delightful crosses getting whipped in today, all it needed was an out and out number 9 to slot them home. Unfortunately we don’t have a fit one of them.

I actually said he was the best striker we have in the squad. With Beany (2 goals), Loy (0 goals) and Aitchison (MIA) all struggling in front of goal, Gallagher's return of 6 starts to look prolific. 

We really do need a clinical poacher type. I thought Loy would be that man (and maybe he will) but it's not worked so far, and then I thought Aitchison could be that man, but he vanished as quickly as he arrived.

There are major issues with this squad - and major weak points. I'm not convinced Calum Gallagher is one of them.

Not hatchet men as such just very cynical .

most fouls not worthy of a yellow on their own but the stats do back up that airdrie did commit a lot of fouls.

its a tactic that very nearly got you 3 points today but the ref should have handled it better

Thought our defenders actually did well considering how poorly the guys in front did especially when we take such an early lead, The first half did produce another good chance for McIntosh and might have finished it. However Dumbarton  got  back into the game from about 15 minutes and both Gallagher and Thomas were really good in all the lead up play but never looked like breaking through. It looked as if we had settled for just counter attacking or relying on Dumbarton errors. The second half must rank as the worst I have seen this season( and that's saying something) We sat off all over the place and left the defence to get on with hoofing it away. I only noticed Conroy once in the first half but his lacklustre left back in the second was even worse. The isolation of Duffy  meant we rarely got into the box and he might as well have been up beside me in the stand. Our Gallagher was so bad he made Hutton look masterful. Carrick did waste a great counter attack but given he is not scoring I can't blame him for shooting but he was wasteful a couple of times. he should not be playing wide left.  Dumbarton deserved to equalise and indeed could have won it if they had done that with 10 minutes to go. I groaned when I saw the Ref. and I struggle to see where a lot of "fouls" came from but I am biased. The bookings were deserved by both sides. Given the tightness of this league both of us will finish behind Arbroath and somewhere from 3rd to 10th. The way football goes Arbroath are due a loss and it will come at Airdrie next week. ( I am off to be sectioned asap)

2 minutes ago, Spanish Armada said:

Yous dominated about 10 minutes it was a scrappy shite game

Nonsense. We were the better team in the first half by far, and although the second was less one way, we still edged it on possession and chances created.  The equaliser was long overdue and the only disappointment today was that we’d didn’t put more past a pretty bang average Airdrie team.

Any Airdrie fans who don't think we dominated that from start to finish are kidding themselves on. I don't buy that the ref was somehow against us (we won a lot of soft fouls in the first half) but we absolutely dominated the match. It's just a shame we were so piss poor at breaking Airdrie down and creating clear cut chances.

The only stat that matters is goals at the end of the day, but these pretty much confirm that we have a few deluded Airdrie fans among us...

20181208_202218.jpg

1 hour ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Come on- we shaded it 1st half - Airdrie scored a goal, hit the bar (Grant Gallagher clearance??/shot against Dumbarton defender onto bar), good save from your goalkeeper from  a Kieran McDonald drive, then the said  Kieran McDonald  missed a good shot on  goal to make it two ("missed" - "made an arse of it"). This against the Dumbarton 1st half chances of ....(I'll let you fill in the rest in to justify why you were the better team in the first half.)

Still waiting.

16 minutes ago, Jordo1872 said:

Nonsense. We were the better team in the first half by far, and although the second was less one way, we still edged it on possession and chances created.  The equaliser was long overdue and the only disappointment today was that we’d didn’t put more past a pretty bang average Airdrie team.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Any Airdrie fans who don't think we dominated that from start to finish are kidding themselves on. I don't buy that the ref was somehow against us (we won a lot of soft fouls in the first half) but we absolutely dominated the match. It's just a shame we were so piss poor at breaking Airdrie down and creating clear cut chances.

The only stat that matters is goals at the end of the day, but these pretty much confirm that we have a few deluded Airdrie fans among us...

20181208_202218.jpg

Airdrie scored a goal, hit the bar (Grant Gallagher clearance??/shot against Dumbarton defender onto bar), good save from your goalkeeper from  a Kieran McDonald drive, then the said  Kieran McDonald  missed a good shot on  goal to make it two ("missed" - "made an arse of it"). This against the Dumbarton 1st half chances of ....(I'll let you fill in the rest in to justify why you were the better team in the first half.)

5 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Airdrie scored a goal, hit the bar (Grant Gallagher clearance??/shot against Dumbarton defender onto bar), good save from your goalkeeper from  a Kieran McDonald drive, then the said  Kieran McDonald  missed a good shot on  goal to make it two ("missed" - "made an arse of it"). This against the Dumbarton 1st half chances of ....(I'll let you fill in the rest in to justify why you were the better team in the first half.)

I prefer to let the stats do my talking. Please refer to the BBPF post above and feel free to apologise at any time.

2 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

20181208_202218.jpg

Stats? Worth and reflective of what? You were at the game I take it.  Kid yourself on if you want. 

5 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Stats? Worth and reflective of what? You were at the game I take it.  Kid yourself on if you want. 

Obviously, the (neutrally compiled) stats reflect the pattern of the game.  Dumbarton failed to turn their domination/superiority into goals and that is a problem. However, it doesn't change the pattern of the game.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
9 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

What are you slevering about?

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
9 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

What are you slevering about?

What don't you understand? 

I posted on our Facebook page but I'll say it on here too. The main thing Murray gets from his team's is organisation. Everyone knew their role in the Airdrie team and the were very regimented in their position which made them hard to break down. That is where we struggle because we don't have a lot in the final third. Definitely had much more of the game overall but a very poor and early 1 goal lead was handed to them which was frustrating.

I think Airdrie are a poor side and Murray has them looking average to be honest. If only we had someone like Aitchison/an on form Loy to be putting all the crosses across the front of goal in the bag of the net. Thomas and Forbes tried real hard but had off days. Despite this - Thomas still created most of our chances and Forbes got an assist for our goal.

Archived