Sons vs Diamonds

19 minutes ago, 2lgm said:

Page dropped to the bench, Keiran Millar listed as No 5, Kyle Wilkie, Robertson and Hutton not listed. Has Murray lost patience with Hutton and Page or is it injuries.

Hutton was struggling last week so presume that’s an injury. Page was also struggling but for a different reason i.e. he’s utter shite.  I’d imagine he’s been dropped. 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Nipples said:

Good to get an early goal.  Important that we get the win today. 

Any idea why you only have 3 subs?

The three subs (one of whom is the goalkeeping coach) are the only players we have available.

Anyway, the early goal is a gutter. Since then we've responded pretty well, but just can't find a finishing touch. Airdrie look dangerous on the break though, and McIntosh missed a glorious chance.

I also can't remember the last team I saw concede as many fouls as this Airdrie side. According to the BBC they've conceded 12 to our one. We can't seem to put together more than a few passes without someone being tripped.

Shout out to Jamie McGowan's hair by the way. Struggling in these conditions.

The three subs (one of whom is the goalkeeping coach) are the only players we have available.
Anyway, the early goal is a gutter. Since then we've responded pretty well, but just can't find a finishing touch. Airdrie look dangerous on the break though, and McIntosh missed a glorious chance.
I also can't remember the last team I saw concede as many fouls as this Airdrie side. According to the BBC they've conceded 12 to our one. We can't seem to put together more than a few passes without someone being tripped.
Shout out to Jamie McGowan's hair by the way. Struggling in these conditions.
Can't remember the last time I seen a team consistently given so many soft 'fouls' in one half of football. Perspective, eh?

I can't ever remember us creating that many chances in a single game. If we hadn't taken at least a point from that it would've been a travesty.

Airdrie became more and more Stevie Aitken as the game went on - falling deep, lumping it and trying to suffocate the game. When Spencer passed up his sitter, and then MacKenzie made a smashing save from Dowie's sitter I just resigned myself to defeat. Great to see the fight from the players and a quality ball in from Forbes right at the death.

If we had a clinical type of striker we'd have won that by a similar margin to last week. 

That was FUCKING SHITE!! Done absolutely nothing after the goal but try and defend our lead. The one chance we did have Carrick shot from the angle when he should have squared it for a tap-in. The Dumbarton goal was coming. We cannot defend at the best of times, let alone when we’re put under a bit of pressure.

I can't ever remember us creating that many chances in a single game. If we hadn't taken at least a point from that it would've been a travesty.
Airdrie became more and more Stevie Aitken as the game went on - falling deep, lumping it and trying to suffocate the game. When Spencer passed up his sitter, and then MacKenzie made a smashing save from Dowie's sitter I just resigned myself to defeat. Great to see the fight from the players and a quality ball in from Forbes right at the death.
If we had a clinical type of striker we'd have won that by a similar margin to last week. 
I agree with this.

I think our problem is we just carry too many passengers in our side who are so static it's frightening. Bobby Barr made Ballantyne look bad today because he never bothered his arse to try and make space. We looked far better when he was hooked. Paton is another who just stands around unless he has the ball.

Carswell, despite his little blip at the end, was motm for me.

25 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I agree with this.

I think our problem is we just carry too many passengers in our side who are so static it's frightening. Bobby Barr made Ballantyne look bad today because he never bothered his arse to try and make space. We looked far better when he was hooked. Paton is another who just stands around unless he has the ball.

Carswell, despite his little blip at the end, was motm for me.

Bobby Barr drives me insane. He gets himself in decent positions and then either cannons the cross off the first man, or balloons it out of play, and his positioning today was bizarre. Ballantyne gets the ball and drives forward, Barr comes towards him and then goes wide - basically blocking off any route forward and letting Airdrie push-up. Duffy subbing him for Allardice looked weird on paper, but having Forbes out wide with Ballantyne overlapping made a huge difference.

It clearly isn't working for Paton. He looked useful at the start of the season, got injured and hasn't looked anywhere near as good since. He's developing a habit of missing great chances from between four and 12 yards too.

Agree on Carswell. Him or Dowie probably deserved it for me, they were solid defensively and really tidy on the ball. Carsy actually looks like a centre-back - not in the same way as Dowie, Mango or Ross Perry - but in a more modern (if that's the right way of putting it) sense. He's clever, good on the ball, reads the game well and doesn't fly into things.

Honorable mention for Calum Gallagher too. He put in a really hardworking shift (as per) and possibly even created more than Dom Thomas. 

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

Can't disagree with you - in the second half Airdrie were shocking - no tempo, sitting back inviting Dumbarton to push on. If Dumbarton hadn't been so poor in the final third we would have been pumped by 2 or 3.  Must say, Grant Gallagher had a good game for the Sons.....

1 minute ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Can't disagree with you - in the second half Airdrie were shocking - no tempo, sitting back inviting Dumbarton to push on. If Dumbarton hadn't been so poor in the final third we would have been pumped by 2 or 3.  Must say, Grant Gallagher had a good game for the Sons.....

First time for everything ;)

4 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

First time for everything ;)

There were shades of Kyle Hutton in his performance today......

Saying that, Airdrie made Hutton look like a midfield maestro in the 2nd half. What does this all mean? I am going to take a beer from the fridge and contemplate.

9 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

There were shades of Kyle Hutton in his performance today......

Saying that, Airdrie made Hutton look like a midfield maestro in the 2nd half. What does this all mean? I am going to take a beer from the fridge and contemplate.

@Old Scrotum would be proud.

If you combined Gallagher's physicality and aggression with Hutton's passing you'd have a decent player. Just need to find a way to fuse them together into the ultimate lower league Frankenstein midfielder.

We DOMinated the game today and really, had we taken our chances it would have been a convincing victory. If you require proof of that, click here

The team picked itself due to 1) Last week and 2) The continuing injury crisis. When Dowie looked injured late in the game and with both of our outfield subs committed, we were facing Ewings or McGowan playing the last ten minutes at centre back.

Howler by McGowan for the goal.

Amazing that Ballantyne got booked on the occasion of Dumbarton's second foul of the game. At that stage, Airdrie had committed roughly 12 and McIntosh had done enough to be booked on at least two, perhaps three occasions by that time.

McKenzie's save from Dowie not long before the eaqualiser was pretty damned good.

1 minute ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

We DOMinated the game today and really, had we taken our chances it would have been a convincing victory. If you require proof of that, click here

The team picked itself due to 1) Last week and 2) The continuing injury crisis. When Dowie looked injured late in the game and with both of our outfield subs committed, we were facing Ewings or McGowan playing the last ten minutes at centre back.

Howler by McGowan for the goal.

Amazing that Ballantyne got booked on the occasion of Dumbarton's second foul of the game. At that stage, Airdrie had committed roughly 12 and McIntosh had done enough to be booked on at least two, perhaps three occasions by that time.

McKenzie's save from Dowie not long before was pretty good.

DOMinated? Said it out aloud a couple of times - sounds stupid. Stick to - "dominated second half. " Far better.

Archived