St Johnstone vs Hearts 05/12/2018

Jesus this is some thread.

Was it a penalty, no.

Should we have had a penalty earlier in the game, probably yes.

Should Haring have gotten a second yellow, again probably yes as it’s a professional foul.

Was it an intriguing game, played out in horrible conditions which could have gone either way, absolutely. Everyone bemoans Scottish football, but it doesn’t half raise talking points and debate. For the record I’ve got no issue with how Hearts played, each to their own, we’ve played eye bleeding stuff and won before too. Do I think Hearts can play better, for sure, but that’s Leveins choice and he’s reverted to type which is successful for him.

Finally, should Dallas get too flight games, most definitely not. He was appalling for both teams last night.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

The ball was in play before he blew the whistle. Haring was also very lucky not to walk moments before the penalty for chopping down Wotherspoon from behind while on a yellow.

A draw was fair enough over the piece. We were maybe unfortunate to be behind at half time and despite the enforced changes at the back in the second half - which really caused us an issue - Hearts didn’t create anything in that period. Hearts didn’t really deserve to win the game.

No idea WTF our pen was for though. Andrew Dallas is an atrocious referee.

Before he blew his whistle possibly but not when the foul was committed which is what actually matters.   

6 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Even if he was, which he's not, we are missing Dunne as well who's been tremendous for us.

In fairness, we're missing Anderson, Easton, Wright and Swanson. Two of our Scottish cup winners and 2 of our more creative players and outballs - we also played the second half with a centre back at right back and a right back at left back. We all go through runs with horrendous injuries - there was a point last season when we were missing 8 or 9 players a week because of them. Levein has obviously had to adjust the style of play to accommodate.

Having said that, Clare and Wighton both look pretty poor alternatives to Uche/Naismith/Maclean. I know you've got that big Czech lad coming in January but I'd be tempted to try and ship one of those two out on loan and bring someone else in.

42 minutes ago, Kyle said:

How much do you enjoy it when opposition fans start jumping up and down about it when we pick up points playing that way? I love seeing meltdowns from opposition supporters in that situation because your tactics clearly worked, as Hearts' did last night. They've had a nightmare run of form and come to a place that no away team outside the old firm has won in since January. In the same circumstances, we'd have done exactly the same thing.

That's before we were sexy

10 minutes ago, Kyle said:

In fairness, we're missing Anderson, Easton, Wright and Swanson. Two of our Scottish cup winners and 2 of our more creative players and outballs - we also played the second half with a centre back at right back and a right back at left back. We all go through runs with horrendous injuries - there was a point last season when we were missing 8 or 9 players a week because of them. Levein has obviously had to adjust the style of play to accommodate.

Having said that, Clare and Wighton both look pretty poor alternatives to Uche/Naismith/Maclean. I know you've got that big Czech lad coming in January but I'd be tempted to try and ship one of those two out on loan and bring someone else in.

Aye tbf, I'm not blaming injuries for last night, should still be better.  Clare and Wighton were clearly earmarked to come in gradually and we've had to chuck them in.

24 minutes ago, Widge said:

Finally, should Dallas get too flight games, most definitely not. He was appalling for both teams last night.

I recall watching Dallas ref games in the juniors around 7/8 years back and at that point it looked like he shouldn't have been anywhere near that level. I don't think much has changed.

The penalty we did get was obviously soft, but on one angle where the camera first pans to Gordon you see Haring just pull his hand back, and it’s that which must have been judged to have impeded Gordon’s jump and puts him off balance to  go over in a strange manner.  If you watch Haring, he does do an exaggerated “I’m innocent” hands by sides gesture straight afterwards.

If the camera man had been up with play it would have been easier to judge whether there was enough contact.  So in reality, it’s the standard of Scottish football camera work that Levein should be lamenting, not the poor wee refs, who try their best.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

The penalty we did get was obviously soft, but on one angle where the camera first pans to Gordon you see Haring just pull his hand back, and it’s that which must have been judged to have impeded Gordon’s jump and puts him off balance to  go over in a strange manner.  If you watch Haring, he does do an exaggerated “I’m innocent” hands by sides gesture straight afterwards.

If the camera man had been up with play it would have been easier to judge whether there was enough contact.  So in reality, it’s the standard of Scottish football camera work that Levein should be lamenting, not the poor wee refs, who try their best.

5c090bc1efa06_giphy(9).gif.6f3eecacc34a97ea433095177eed8f7a.gif

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

Having said that, I sit directly in line with that incident from the East Stand and at the time I thought it was a stonewaller as it looked like Haring had a hold of Gordon's shirt before he went down. Subsequent replays show that's not the case, so he's maybe been caught out as much as I was with the angle.

That's the view I had from slightly further along the stand as well.  There isn't a camera angle of the view Dallas had of the incident. The TV pictures obviously don't do him any favours though. 

Enjoyed the Saints performance again, although we lost our way a bit after half-time with the total reshuffle of the back four and Hearts successfully spoiling the game. It's great watching Tanser, Wotherspoon, Kennedy and Watt going forward at the moment and although it was really disappointing to lose the two goals from set situations, I'm not sure Hearts managed any other effort from inside our area, bar the tepid volley from Morrison near the end. Wighton didn't get a second touch all night from Shaughnessy and especially Kerr. He looked completely out of his depth. 

Disappointed not to win the game but plenty to take from the performance. Levein is on drugs if he genuinely thinks Hearts were the better side. Really, really good/bad drugs. 

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not angry about the result in the slightest. I'm frustrated that, yet again, an exciting performance by Saints is being utterly ignored because a "bigger team" have decided to start mewling to the press about how they were cheated out the victory.

The bigger team is "mewling" because they've been fucked right up the shitbox by absolutely ludicrous refereeing decisions in four straight games.

Obviously St Johnstone are the centre of the universe, but I'm afraid in this case it has precious little to do with them. 

3 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

The bigger team is "mewling" because they've been fucked right up the shitbox by absolutely ludicrous refereeing decisions in four straight games.

Obviously St Johnstone are the centre of the universe, but I'm afraid in this case it has precious little to do with them. 

How is not conceding a penalty and not having a player sent off being fucked right up the shitbox?

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't know what minutes they were on, as every media outlet is just ignoring them, I'd need to watch Alba again.

Highlights packages are bad for that - very frustrating.

5 hours ago, Kyle said:

The Davidson penalty incident is when Haring got booked. To be honest I'm sure the camera was probably focusing on the corner taker or would just be panning back to the normal camera when it all happened. Pretty sure you would see Haring pick up his booking on the Alba coverage though. The tackle being referred to was right on the half way line - it was a trip from behind as Kane (I think) tried to shift the ball left. Seconds later we were awarded the penalty - knowing Dallas he probably knew he'd bottled the red card and was making up for it with the penalty call. Having said that, I sit directly in line with that incident from the East Stand and at the time I thought it was a stonewaller as it looked like Haring had a hold of Gordon's shirt before he went down. Subsequent replays show that's not the case, so he's maybe been caught out as much as I was with the angle.

I think I did see the booking in that case - the camera angles didn't really show much in the way of an offence from what I remember - Dallas seemed sure that it was bookable offence - he was sure about the penalty as well, though, and that was a pile of shite, wasn't it? :lol: 

I can actually see Random's point - if Haring gets booked for an offence that took place in the box, should it not have been a pen? Does the ball have to be in play? Don't know any more, tbqhwy.

Haring's trip I do remember - some of those are yellow cards, sometimes they're not -  Haring may well have been guilty of persistent fouling, but no more than that c**t Morelos was on Sunday - not that I'm saying that these things even themselves out over a season - it's clearly the case that the old firm get an easy ride from refs - the rest of us don't.

On the balance of play, I thought a draw was about right - Saint's first penalty claim? No idea. The one that was awarded? An absolute joke, and embarrassing times for Dallas. 

5 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Another bad result for Hearts here.  Absolutely terrible run they're on.

As usual, it's all about the ref though.  Pathetic.

It's not about the ref - we're not playing well - that's a fact.

Here's another fact, though - a penalty was awarded against us for absolutely fuckall, :lol:

27 minutes ago, paranoid android said:

It's not about the ref - we're not playing well - that's a fact.

Here's another fact, though - a penalty was awarded against us for absolutely fuckall, :lol:

Happens though, to obsess about it is a bit Dundee-y for my tastes.

Archived